Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Whooo ok look now it's time to have another run of episodes wowee starts at the end of March and goes two weeks into April, then three more weeks of reruns before the final run of shows. Incredible.

I kinda think the reason for taking a month off, a month on approach this season has been based around letting Kenan go off to LA to shoot his new show for a few weeks and then having time to quarantine after flying back to NY for the show. Who knows. He must be done taping shows for this season, since we're back to a :airquote: normal :airquote: schedule for the last couple months of the season.

Maya Rudolph kicks things off with music from Jack Harlow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePcVnt0isz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N812y2s1kC4

Sadly the two Thursday promos which have been airing ("Quarantine" and "Throuple") are inexplicably excluded from the YT upload. I have them recorded from OTA but honestly am too busy to get them clipped and upped. The basic gist of them is that the concept of time is meaningless now, and Jack Harlow and Chris Redd want to be a throuple or something. "Throuple" is supposed to air again near the end of tonight's Vintage, 52 minutes in, if you want to see it. If I have time and am feeling especially energetic I'll clip it before the live show. But I doubt it!

And the show will probably be good, and there will be hundreds of posts itt as the show progresses. Why, I bet we crack double digit page numbers before Update! It'll be just like the good ol' days.

Oh and that Vintage is either appropriate or cynical, depending on how... cynical you are. Awkwafina with Travis Scott from October 6 2018. Because of all the violence against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

who am i kidding, i have nothing going on tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnZey1falfU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I'm no nostradamnit but I bet tonight they're gonna talk about the big stuck boat

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's interesting how now that Biden is president, the cold open is never political. Hard reversal!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

It's interesting how now that Biden is president, the cold open is never political. Hard reversal!

Sean Hannity? Is that you? 😂

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Edward Mass posted:

The constant political colds were killing me, I far prefer a bit of relevant but not Trump stuff.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Looks like a writer watched the Gabrielle Union episode. She was crying and snotting all over the drat place.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lol the return of Edith Puthie!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Haha because baby boomers are a monolith, each one voted for trump, each one is white, each one is Bad

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
:siren: live animal alert :siren:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Edward Mass posted:

:siren: live animal alert :siren:

As Marjorie Taylor Greene enters, ha.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I still don't get NFTs

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

pwn posted:

Haha because baby boomers are a monolith, each one voted for trump, each one is white, each one is Bad

See, you complain about the last music video and that’s what we get.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Florida Adderall--METH!!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Oof. This is bad. I've never heard of an SNL musical guest again, you kids get off my lawn.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
No one has, he's just the latest SoundCloud rapper that a record company's algorithm decided they should sign.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Che should’ve been booed for that anti-defund joke.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:yikes:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Oh...I guess he’s from Kentucky?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
That was a remarkably bad episode.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009

Cyril Sneer posted:

That was a remarkably bad episode.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this thinking. It was completely nonsensical from the start. A couple of great weekend update jokes and then back to nonsense until the end.

The Boomer music video was funny but -- I wanna say -- 5 years too late. And South Park literally did the joke a couple of weeks ago.

It felt like something was off the entire time. Which is weird for an alum cast member episode.

Lifepuzzler fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 28, 2021

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Chris Redd cannot follow simple dance steps!

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Being a cynic about vintage, didn't Lucy Liu host at some point?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Being a cynic about vintage, didn't Lucy Liu host at some point?

Back in 2000, around the time of the Charlie's Angels movie, I think.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The best bits were the Shining parody, and Pete Davidson’s crotch right up in the camera.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
this has been a very weird episode. boomer song and shining was good and the janet yellen slim shady sketch was so dated then it came back around to being hilarious. everything else was blah

you really have a sense of the age of the writers room just bitching about boomers and reminiscing about the 90s

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

The Nastier Nate posted:

this has been a very weird episode. boomer song and shining was good and the janet yellen slim shady sketch was so dated then it came back around to being hilarious. everything else was blah

you really have a sense of the age of the writers room just bitching about boomers and reminiscing about the 90s

perfect av/post combo tbqh

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That was one of the worst episodes I've seen in ages, and let's be honest, it's a pretty low bar at this point.

You'd think with such a big break between episodes they'd come back with a ton of bangers but it really seems like they still work on the same work week that they'd normally do with nothing before that.

The music videos were good, but this is now the second time in, what, 8 episodes? we've had Pete Davidson doing an Eminem parody from the mid 90s. With added Matrix references... Seriously, could it be any more dated?

Most of the skits didn't even seem to contain jokes. Like, even when it's good, the show seems incapable of ending a skit on a high, but these things seem to have not been fleshed out any further than "here is a funny premise".

The opening monologue, what the gently caress was that? The dance studio one? They just seemed lost. The Hot Ones one had a chance to go to some really good places but completely fell apart as soon as Keenan came on screen. The Seder skit? I'm not Jewish so maybe I'm missing something but that was painful. Where were they going with that dog thing? It just awkwardly ended and Short stood up and pretended it never happened. The Barfly Awards was well performed but beyond the nomination captions there wasn't a joke in site.

Even weekend update wasn't funny. There was the (admittedly good), Bowen Yang thing and a bunch of awkward "ooooooh don't go there! I guess I should chuckle?"jokes.

Wow that was painful.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I liked Che's crack about police abolition.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
i actually hope this turns in to a running gag where Pete Davidson does a different Eminem video each week for the rest of the season

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

i actually hope this turns in to a running gag where Pete Davidson does a different Eminem video each week for the rest of the season

The Stan video was lame, but "Without Me" and its video are such an obscure pull in 2021 that it kind of wraps back around to being funny.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
For me, having him just do Eminem over and over is lazy. At least do Jack Harlow who was on the show, or something. :shrug:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I was pretty tickled by the Edith Puthy callback. That came from out of nowhere, and I loved it.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The_Doctor posted:

The best bits were the Shining parody, and Pete Davidson’s crotch right up in the camera.

It felt weird doing an ars poetica sketch about themselves when the show has been at its lowest point maybe ever, but I did enjoy seeing Rachel Dratch.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

a new study bible! posted:

It felt weird doing an ars poetica sketch about themselves when the show has been at its lowest point maybe ever, but I did enjoy seeing Rachel Dratch.

Also they had Kristen Wiig just a few episodes ago.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

a new study bible! posted:

It felt weird doing an ars poetica sketch about themselves when the show has been at its lowest point maybe ever
That's a bold claim. I actually thought the previous episode with Nick Jonas was an all-time banger, with a killer run in Mirror Workout - Murder Show - Cinderella - Boner Song.

I personally hated the Farrell/Oterri era of SNL where every other skit seemed like it was the Spartan Cheerleaders, apparently there were 17 skits in total, seven of which were in 1996 alone.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

SNL has had a lot of low points, but it feels like it’s on the middle of a very long drought. Like, has the show been consistently funny (even by SNL standards) for any sustained stretch since Baldwin put on the Trump wig?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
There have been a couple of absolute banger episodes here and there, but consistently funny? Hell no.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Sivart13 posted:

That's a bold claim. I actually thought the previous episode with Nick Jonas was an all-time banger, with a killer run in Mirror Workout - Murder Show - Cinderella - Boner Song.

I personally hated the Farrell/Oterri era of SNL where every other skit seemed like it was the Spartan Cheerleaders, apparently there were 17 skits in total, seven of which were in 1996 alone.

Haha I actually agree with you about the Spartan Cheerleaders. That sketch seemed inescapable.

I don't think the show has been consistently funny since Bill Hader left. Obviously thats subjective though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sivart13 posted:

I feel like current SNL is a lot less reliant on recurring characters than it's been in the past, though lately I've noticed them reusing entire sketches.