Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

That's right, with the release of Godzilla vs Kong, I feel we should take a look back at one of the cornerstones of cinematic science fiction, the Giant Monster movie, and in particular its Japanese poster boy, Godzilla. It has everything a scifi fan could ask for.

Dinosaurs! Robot Dinosaurs!

Giant Monkeys! Robot Giant Monkeys!

Alien Invasions!

...magic?

Feel free to discuss Godzilla, Gamera, various tokusatsu guy-in-costume action, hell, throw in some Bert I Gordon giant radioactive bug movies if that floats your boat/destroys your HO-scale city!

Edit: Now with typo in thread title fixed!

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

I got your Kaiju right there.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Well, there goes our grant money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTwH5nqRvOo

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

I have been watching Ultra Galaxy: Mega Monster Battle so honestly this thread is pretty much perfect for me.

The show is pro wrestling giant monster fights, it's great.

Gridman is also on there. It's... WOW this show is extremely 90s.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sometimes you gotta break the rules.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

https://gfycat.com/illustriousrequiredbasilisk

They look so silly and helpless when they're babies

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

hey hey hey hey
punch kaiju every day

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Is Paul Bunyon a kaiju?

Evidence for:
He's at least 100' tall
Enormous companions and rivals
Accidentally destructive
Represents humankind's influence on the world

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Speleothing posted:

Is Paul Bunyon a kaiju?

Evidence for:
He's at least 100' tall
Enormous companions and rivals
Accidentally destructive
Represents humankind's influence on the world

No, he has language, you don't need a child to communicate that he needs to defend Tokyo Duluth

Babe The Blue Ox might be a kaiju tho

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Godzilla vs Kong or w/e was good, but I really wish there was more Mothra.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

New movie owns owns owns, watch it

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

not enough kaiju action imho.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

...big ol' thick pumpernickel...

Is Paul Bunyan a Kaiju?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

Is Paul Bunyan a Kaiju?

Really he's more of an anti-kaiju. Giant monsters are defined by being destructive forces of nature anathema to human civilization, tearing down all that we build. Paul Bunyan in contrast is a constructive force embodying the spirit of industry and enriching civilization, taming the frontier.

Really Paul Bunyan is closer to a Hercules sort of figure, or one of those sky-gods that slays a giant serpent and builds the world from its body.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

...big ol' thick pumpernickel...

Asterite34 posted:

Really he's more of an anti-kaiju. Giant monsters are defined by being destructive forces of nature anathema to human civilization, tearing down all that we build. Paul Bunyan in contrast is a constructive force embodying the spirit of industry and enriching civilization, taming the frontier.

Really Paul Bunyan is closer to a Hercules sort of figure, or one of those sky-gods that slays a giant serpent and builds the world from its body.

Thatís very interesting interpretation of the folklore. Iíd never thought about it, that way.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

Godzilla was originally a metaphor for the atomic bomb though, hardly what i'd call a force of nature.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Droyer posted:

Godzilla was originally a metaphor for the atomic bomb though, hardly what i'd call a force of nature.

Fair enough, Godzilla's not exactly natural. But he does sorta follow the template of "thing outside of mankind's capacity to control." Mythological monsters tend to represent floods or droughts or disease or earthquakes, natural catastrophes that outmatch mere mortals and are the sole adversaries of gods and heroes. It just turns out that the threat of the Cold War going hot is a similar sort of existential threat to humanity outside our attempts to contain or rationalize. The difference is just this one is man-made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Marsupial Ape posted:

Is Paul Bunyan a Kaiju?

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

No, he has language, you don't need a child to communicate that he needs to defend Tokyo Duluth

Babe The Blue Ox might be a kaiju tho