Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Khanstant posted:

I like the song too but it's kind of stretch to say it's about gay sex just because you can take the lyrics out of or in context to make it seem sexual. Plenty of songs don't use sexual language but are still talking about sex. Likewise, Montero uses sexual language but really it's talking about non-sexual things.

I wanna feel on your rear end in Hawaii
I want that jet lag from fuckin' and flyin'
Shoot a child in your mouth while I'm ridin'

Like, if you're a 14 year old you might think this was some horny thing to say, but through a more mature lens you can see the real commentary

edit: Just sayin, you could say all that in church if you bleeped out the f-bomb and everyone would nod and get it, wouldnt take it the wrong way

God this thread owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

The Modern Leper posted:

God this thread owns.

IKR, and lil nas x didn't even show his whole rear end in Montero as much as some of the goons in this thread.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

if u think about it, a song which has the refrain lifted from a movie about a gay couple, and in which the performer claims that they're "only here to sin" and "wanna gently caress the ones I envy" is not at all about gay sex.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
montero is aspirational, about the kind of relationship you should seek with Christ. if you think its about sex because of the words and its all satanic because there was a devil in the music video and the artists intention like yeah, thats a fine surface level read but its the same as people who think "born in the usa" is a patriotic song. If you cant see the hidden message about grace and a personal relationship with the messiah, maybe you should listen to it again and get your mind out of the gutter

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Khanstant posted:

montero is aspirational, about the kind of relationship you should seek with Christ. if you think its about sex because of the words and its all satanic because there was a devil in the music video and the artists intention like yeah, thats a fine surface level read but its the same as people who think "born in the usa" is a patriotic song. If you cant see the hidden message about grace and a personal relationship with the messiah, maybe you should listen to it again and get your mind out of the gutter

actually i agree entirely

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lil Nas X is stoned to death by a buttplug.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Khanstant posted:

I like the song too but it's kind of stretch to say it's about gay sex just because you can take the lyrics out of or in context to make it seem sexual. Plenty of songs don't use sexual language but are still talking about sex. Likewise, Montero uses sexual language but really it's talking about non-sexual things.

I wanna feel on your rear end in Hawaii
I want that jet lag from fuckin' and flyin'
Shoot a child in your mouth while I'm ridin'

Like, if you're a 14 year old you might think this was some horny thing to say, but through a more mature lens you can see the real commentary

edit: Just sayin, you could say all that in church if you bleeped out the f-bomb and everyone would nod and get it, wouldnt take it the wrong way

I've said that at church. Maybe that's why I'm not welcome any more.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
just thought i would post this here just in case anyone wants to listen to this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6swmTBVI83k

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
An unrepentant successful gay Black man causes meltdowns?? Why I never!! :monocle:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like the council of jeans in the video.

I know everyone loves the satan rear end dance and stupid sexy snake person but Im all about this council of jeans.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Waterbed Wendy posted:

just thought i would post this here just in case anyone wants to listen to this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6swmTBVI83k

its good

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

well why not posted:

actually i agree entirely

post modernism loving rules imo

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

pretty zzzz - gay black edgelord, no thanks

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

polio king posted:

My post, signed!!!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lil nas x peaking as DMX struggles to live ... it makes you think doesn't it?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

polio king posted:

more for me

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Lil Nas X: "I'm going to tweet for days about how my hit song is about gay sex because I'm very very gay and proud of it and it's hilarious and awesome my gay sex song is #1"

Some fuckin goon: "Actually I think saying his song is about gay sex is a stretch"

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

quote:

I wanna feel on your shoulder in Hawaii
I want that jet lag from praying and flyin'
Shoot a gogurt in your mouth while I'm ridin'

It's true you dont have to change much and you could sing it in church.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Picnic Princess posted:

Lil Nas X: "I'm going to tweet for days about how my hit song is about gay sex because I'm very very gay and proud of it and it's hilarious and awesome my gay sex song is #1"

Some fuckin goon: "Actually I think saying his song is about gay sex is a stretch"

i think that was a very dry joke and quite frankly i don't want to entertain the idea that it wasn't

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

The artist doesn't control the interpretation of their work :colbert:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This morning I shot a child in your mouth... how he got in your mouth, I'll never know.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

How can he top this? What would piss off white evangelicals more than this? If he somehow raw dogged Eli Manning on Nathan Bedford Forest's grave?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

How can he top this? What would piss off white evangelicals more than this? If he somehow raw dogged Eli Manning on Nathan Bedford Forest's grave?

Killing Kissinger and teabagging his corpse.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

gschmidl posted:

Killing Kissinger and teabagging his corpse.

This gave me a huge loving gay boner just thinking about it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Continue to make their kids think that a gay black dude is the coolest guy ever in a really positive way, because that's what they're actually afraid of.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

Come on dude, give one reason this song is about gay sex that doesn't have to do with obvious interpretations of the lyrics, the artists intent, the video's imagery and iconography, or reasonable understanding of language and communication. Oh wait you can't because you're a loving pervert who should think a little more about raw dogging christ's grace instead of some other dude's graceless holes

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I gave Jesus a dry orgasm using nothing but my foot. Jesus is a freak

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Khanstant posted:

Come on dude, give one reason this song is about gay sex that doesn't have to do with obvious interpretations of the lyrics, the artists intent, the video's imagery and iconography, or reasonable understanding of language and communication. Oh wait you can't because you're a loving pervert who should think a little more about raw dogging christ's grace instead of some other dude's graceless holes

He's right

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Jesus does not wash his rear end, BTW

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
"Montero" is only 2:17 in length, made me wonder how this compared:

Billboard posted:

Song Length, Title, Artist, Date Reached No. 1
1:38, “Stay,” Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs, Nov. 21, 1960
1:49, “I’m Henry VIII, I Am,” Herman’s Hermits, Aug. 7, 1965
1:51, “Surrender,” Elvis Presley, March 20, 1961
1:52, “He’s So Fine,” The Chiffons, March 30, 1963
1:53, “Old Town Road,” Lil Nas X, April 13, 2019
1:53, “The Stripper,” David Rose, July 7, 1962

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Still number one in the UK and Ireland.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

20 Blunts posted:

"Montero" is only 2:17 in length, made me wonder how this compared:

Songwriting is changing to exploit the way streaming pays out. Two priorities: Spotify only pays out if somebody listens to a song for more than 30 seconds, so those 30 seconds gotta be catchy as hell. After that, the song is going to be short to increase the amount of times somebody can stream it, making it more likely to beat out a song that's longer in length. One sale used be one sale, regardless of how long the songs were. Now, the amount of times somebody listens to the song counts, so the songs have to be short.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Ehh, radio stations used to refuse to play a song 3 minutes or longer, so it's not exactly a new phenomenon.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

stratdax posted:

Songwriting is changing to exploit the way streaming pays out. Two priorities: Spotify only pays out if somebody listens to a song for more than 30 seconds, so those 30 seconds gotta be catchy as hell. After that, the song is going to be short to increase the amount of times somebody can stream it, making it more likely to beat out a song that's longer in length. One sale used be one sale, regardless of how long the songs were. Now, the amount of times somebody listens to the song counts, so the songs have to be short.

Yep, and it’s pretty much killed the concept of a proper intro to a song. If the vocal doesn’t start within the first 10 sec, you’re on thin ice buddy.

Not that I think this is entirely a bad thing. We’re just going back to the era of short pop singles that dominated the charts in the 50s-60s.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Ehh, radio stations used to refuse to play a song 3 minutes or longer, so it's not exactly a new phenomenon.

Yeah, ages ago. But time is a flat circle.
As an aside, Radio djs in the 70s loved long album cuts so they could go smoke a joint and take a dump for 6 minutes.

HD DAD posted:

Yep, and it’s pretty much killed the concept of a proper intro to a song. If the vocal doesn’t start within the first 10 sec, you’re on thin ice buddy.

Not that I think this is entirely a bad thing. We’re just going back to the era of short pop singles that dominated the charts in the 50s-60s.

Exactly. Some people lament the death of albums but whatever, this is exactly how the music industry operated pre-Beatles.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 10, 2021

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
This song is good.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I got Old Town Road on repeat b/c this thread & its intrinsic catchiness. No shade on Montero, it just doesn't get caught in my head the same way. It's a good opening for Montero once ppl get hooked though.

E: like, 0% shade on Montero, OTR is like top 5 catchiest songs I've ever heard.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Best part about OTR is the sample is a nine inch nails song and Trent Reznor loved its use and the song

https://youtu.be/XF_ceFugJjQ