Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

UnknownMercenary posted:

Signature skill doesn't mean much. It just gives a bonus to both the specific skill and that category. You can still heavily invest elsewhere as you build your character.

Oh gotcha. So I could even pick something from a group I'm not even great at?

LRADIKAL posted:

JUST PICK SOMETHING!

I know, I know! I'm the worst at dithering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Oh gotcha. So I could even pick something from a group I'm not even great at?

Signature skill is almost entirely irrelevant, it's a bit of a dud mechanic. IIRC it's just +1 to that skill and its cap, which is gently caress all. Put it in anything, it doesn't matter

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Getting around to playing this, choice paralysis strikes at signature skill selection. I've read Inland Impire was better for re-playthroughs, so as a smart sensitive weak klutz, I'm thinking maybe Drama, if only because I used to be an actor. Maybe Empathy?

The fact that everywhere says there are no wrong choices has not helped lol

Any build works fine so long as you make sure to set your physical stat to 1 and then grab the tie immediately at the start of the game.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any build works fine so long as you make sure to set your physical stat to 1 and then grab the tie immediately at the start of the game.

The timing of this was choice, fyi. Love it.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Getting around to playing this, choice paralysis strikes at signature skill selection. I've read Inland Impire was better for re-playthroughs, so as a smart sensitive weak klutz, I'm thinking maybe Drama, if only because I used to be an actor. Maybe Empathy?

on my first play through I basically just put a point into any skills needed for a white check I wanted to retry the whole time and it worked just fine. You'll enjoy the skills you have and won't miss the ones you don't.

I missed a few things because I didn't want to show my hand to certain people and thought I could come back to things that i couldn't.

I recommend you "opt in" to anything your interested in and just say whatever looks appealing and see where it takes you.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Honestly if you can't pick something just go with one of the three preset archetypes. The intellectual one is a bit too fragile IMO but they're all pretty well oriented toward a different skillset to color your playthrough

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Every build is canon, but the pre-made sensitive build is especially canon.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

christmas boots posted:

Honestly if you can't pick something just go with one of the three preset archetypes. The intellectual one is a bit too fragile IMO but they're all pretty well oriented toward a different skillset to color your playthrough

poo poo my build is weaker than the sensitivearchetype.

I went with Empathy but will be putting points into anything I really like.

Just talking to the old lady at the beginning and 'what was with that loving wink', 'hire her on the spot' and 'Sweetie needs money. Do sweeties get money?' has me loving rolling. Game good.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dieting Hippo posted:

VISUAL CALCULUS [Easy: Success] - The monster appears to be much larger than expected. Without a gun, this could prove to be very unfortunate.

ELECTROCHEMISTRY - You've got Mega Demondrugs, chug 'em all down! Do a kegstand right on its back!

AUTHORITY [Medium: Failure] - Yes.

HALF LIGHT - GET THE TAIL. GET THE GODDAMN TAIL.

God bless you

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

jiggerypokery posted:

on my first play through I basically just put a point into any skills needed for a white check I wanted to retry the whole time and it worked just fine. You'll enjoy the skills you have and won't miss the ones you don't.

I missed a few things because I didn't want to show my hand to certain people and thought I could come back to things that i couldn't.

I recommend you "opt in" to anything your interested in and just say whatever looks appealing and see where it takes you.

This is really good general advice too. Thank y'all!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Red checks can only be done once but failing them just moves things ahead a little differently rather than locking you out

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Xander77 posted:

Is that what determines whether the tower stays up?

One of the things involved, but yes.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Skibadee skibadanger : Disco Elysium 2| Pale ranger.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Necrothatcher posted:

My friends just had a baby and named him Cuno.

just so long as they didn't name him Cuño

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I went heavily into Inland Empire (and Esprit de Corps) on my first playthrough and did not regret it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Espirit de Corps gives a surprising amount of context to the players outside your fov, it's pretty useful

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I had very high Esprit de Corps and Empathy, and it was probably the closest I could get to having a psychic link with Kim

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Wafflecopper posted:

Signature skill is almost entirely irrelevant, it's a bit of a dud mechanic. IIRC it's just +1 to that skill and its cap, which is gently caress all. Put it in anything, it doesn't matter

Signature Inland Empire will let you meet your good friend Horrific Necktie while putting only 3 in PSY, if for some reason you wanted to see a bunch of 4-passives in another stat at the start of the game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Best use of signature is to get a bonus health or morale point while setting the relevant stat to 1, so you start with 2.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Glazius posted:

Signature Inland Empire will let you meet your good friend Horrific Necktie while putting only 3 in PSY, if for some reason you wanted to see a bunch of 4-passives in another stat at the start of the game.

No idea what I did wrong but I tagged inland empire (on a whim, it sounded cool) and my necktie never spoke to me?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

No idea what I did wrong but I tagged inland empire (on a whim, it sounded cool) and my necktie never spoke to me?
I played an INT/PSY build with absurdly high Inland Empire, and had the same issue. No idea what's necessary to trigger conversations with the tie.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ersatz posted:

I played an INT/PSY build with absurdly high Inland Empire, and had the same issue. No idea what's necessary to trigger conversations with the tie.

if the tie doesn’t talk to you the first time you get it down from the fan, you’ll never hear from it for the rest of the game - same goes if you ever take the tie off

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Ersatz posted:

You need four or more inland empire to start with (don't know if you can do 3 psyche then the 4th comes from the tie itself, at least four points in inland empire when you wake up should be safe) and you must never unequip the tie. Ever.

(One of) The first tie conversation(s) you can do is with garte over the bill, and from there the tie should keep yacking periodically, especially regarding the murder victim.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Got a mysterious package

no idea where I'm gonna put all this stuff but I wanna try to have most if not all of it up on the walls.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

dmboogie posted:

if the tie doesn’t talk to you the first time you get it down from the fan, you’ll never hear from it for the rest of the game - same goes if you ever take the tie off

You can take the tie off. You just have to have it on at all the right triggers and you'll likely miss one if you aren't wearing it all the time
The first trigger is a passive check in the first convo with garte.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

You can take the tie off. You just have to have it on at all the right triggers and you'll likely miss one if you aren't wearing it all the time
The first trigger is a passive check in the first convo with garte.

The tie yelling at Harry to arrest Garte got a massive laugh out of me on my first playthrough and I knew I was going to love this game

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I'm fairly certain you don't need the passive triggers so long as you haven't actually taken the tie down- getting it down was one of the last things I did on my first playthrough before the point of no return, and I was able to use it at the tribunal just fine.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I'm fairly certain you don't need the passive triggers so long as you haven't actually taken the tie down- getting it down was one of the last things I did on my first playthrough before the point of no return, and I was able to use it at the tribunal just fine.

What the gently caress

How did you play the game without your friend

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Until the necktie plays Suzerainty with me it isn't really my friend

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Got a mysterious package

no idea where I'm gonna put all this stuff but I wanna try to have most if not all of it up on the walls.

I have Harry on the statue of the emperor framed on my wall. it loving rules *and* it's not so obviously a video game thing that everyone can appreciate it

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Gaius Marius posted:

That can't be a real name, tell them to try again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoGlE4G8DyE

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Skibadee skibadanger : Disco Elysium 2| Pale ranger.

Are Americans familiar enough with Scooter to fully appreciate Egg Head?

Though I do maintain the original artists Scooter rips off are better. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3KGTbWxslw

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 9, 2022

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Googles "skibadee skibadanger"

No, I don't think so.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

What the gently caress

How did you play the game without your friend

My Harry was a thoughtful, sensitive brick wall of a man with the coordination of a toddler so I couldn't pass the check to actually reach the tie until I was able to make up for my baby dexterity by dressing like a complete rear end in a top hat.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

dressing like a complete rear end in a top hat.

Wearing really itchy pants to be make you ANGRY enough to grab the good jacket from the Skulls candidates.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

My Harry was a thoughtful, sensitive brick wall of a man with the coordination of a toddler so I couldn't pass the check to actually reach the tie until I was able to make up for my baby dexterity by dressing like a complete rear end in a top hat.

Even after turning the fan off? I dont think I've ever failed that check on any type of build.

RoastBeef fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 10, 2022

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

EorayMel posted:

You need four or more inland empire to start with (don't know if you can do 3 psyche then the 4th comes from the tie itself, at least four points in inland empire when you wake up should be safe) and you must never unequip the tie. Ever.

Reasonably sure I took my tie off to equip the crypto bolo tie, and it still gave me the spirit prompt when re-equipped.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

RoastBeef posted:

Even after turning them think fan off? I dont think I've ever failed that check on any type of build.

That would have been a very good idea had I known to do that, yes

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You didn't think to turn off a spinning fan before reaching for something hanging off it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Orange Devil posted:

I can't speak for all Americans but the homage came through quite clearly for me. Similarly the name "Arno van Eyck" alone evoked the image of a very specific sort of DJ.