Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I did a lot of the cool stuff on my first playthrough but I managed to learn nothing at all about the pale, besides getting that book that doesn't tell you what it is and some of the cryptid Inland Empire dialog. I did a psych/physique build that was pretty entertaining. If you do bad enough at the end, do they fire you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What does the tie do at the tribunal?

You turn it into a molotov and can lob it at one of the mercs.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
If you've done enough things wrong that no one there is willing to have your back, basically. One of the big strikes against you is if you take in any alcohol at all, especially with Jean even outright saying he doesn't give as much of a poo poo about you doing hard drugs as long as you aren't drinking and I believe also if you're alone because Kim got shot and since you're alone, it means it's also more difficult to defend yourself.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm not ready to read spoilers yet but if your Harry isn't continually sloshed then what are you even doing

(also thanks for the hints re: freezer/church)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I'm not ready to read spoilers yet but if your Harry isn't continually sloshed then what are you even doing

(also thanks for the hints re: freezer/church)

Enduring the waste land of reality

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Harry has always been straightedge and is just being gaslit my everyone (including his inner monologues)

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Logic said that someone broke into his room and forced drinks on him. When has Logic ever failed Harry?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can't imagine how one could justify having Harry turn to alcohol or drugs if they're doing any roleplaying at all that tries to help him.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Gaius Marius posted:

I can't imagine how one could justify having Harry turn to alcohol or drugs if they're doing any roleplaying at all that tries to help him.

Realistically an addict who just woke up with a throbbing headache and his own brain continuously urging him to drink/do drugs would probably do them

I did all the narcotics and still got the 'good ending' RE: my shocked peers admitting I'm a good detective, Kim actually considering transferring to my squad, etc

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm helping him. Helping him have a good time!

why yes Harry has 8 Electrochemistry why do you ask

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Realistically an addict who just woke up with a throbbing headache and his own brain continuously urging him to drink/do drugs would probably do them

sounds like low volition talk to me

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Real ones start with 1 FYS and immediately get Inexplicable Feminist Agenda to strike Electrochemistry down to 0.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Gaius Marius posted:

I had to do some speed to pass a check but yeah same. Really good poo poo, Cuno really is the loving king

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Why wouldn't you do drugs when it can help you transcend your petty personal limitations?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

I did all the narcotics and still got the 'good ending' RE: my shocked peers admitting I'm a good detective, Kim actually considering transferring to my squad, etc

Addiction is hard, but possible to overcome. You've just forced a suicidal man to relapse when he desperately needs help.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Addiction is hard, but possible to overcome. You've just forced a suicidal man to relapse when he desperately needs help.
I mean, are you role-playing as Harry, or as some sort of benevolent innocentic overseer of Harry's health and moral progress?

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

i'm roleplaying as a second tie

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Drugs make you a better detective, you should do all the drugs.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Honestly I was expecting more consequence from not doing drugs. There's a physical component to addiction that the game kinda sidesteps: besides some dialog about the headache there aren't many if any mechanical penalties outside of maybe a few specific rolls.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ersatz posted:

I mean, are you role-playing as Harry, or as some sort of benevolent innocentic overseer of Harry's health and moral progress?

I’m role-playing as condom-head Volition

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ersatz posted:

It's both. The game starts by doing the Planescape Torment 'you are your memories, and this character has none' thing, but over the course of the game culminating in the final dream sequence more and more of Harry's memories are floating back and starting to re-form who this guy is.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Alchenar posted:

It's both. The game starts by doing the Planescape Torment 'you are your memories, and this character has none' thing, but over the course of the game culminating in the final dream sequence more and more of Harry's memories are floating back and starting to re-form who this guy is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ersatz posted:

Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau, noted not total fuckup detective

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

Honestly I was expecting more consequence from not doing drugs. There's a physical component to addiction that the game kinda sidesteps: besides some dialog about the headache there aren't many if any mechanical penalties outside of maybe a few specific rolls.

thats what hardcore mode is for, where all the checks are harder so relapsing harry is a more attractive option.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I think I smoked two cigarettes throughout the entire game to help my int dump stat Harry think extra hard and Kim commented on it at the end of the game. gently caress you Kitsuragi, you smoke one a day!

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Gaius Marius posted:

Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau, noted not total fuckup detective

Disco Elysium's biggest crime is that you need to fail a conceptualization check in order to discover Harry's true identity.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

wologar posted:

Disco Elysium's biggest crime is that you need to fail a conceptualization check in order to discover Harry's true identity.

This is why going high INT is for suckaz :cool:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Tripping on psychedelic anti-radiation drugs is basically a panacaea and will cure all of Harry's ill both physically and mentally.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

wologar posted:

No, succeeding the check is necessary to start realizing that you're Tequila Sunset before bridge is fixed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's hosed that at a certain point the game starts trying to gaslight you into being some loser named Harry instead of a cool, fit, not sad, not addicted Raphaël

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
All jokes aside the progression is really

Harry Du Bois (Thesis) > Tequila Sunset (Antithesis) > Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau (Synthesis)

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Regardless of how you build Harry or what you do, one talent he does possess is an astonishing ability for compartmentalization, so regardless of his previous choices he could easily be entirely sober for the duration of the case. Of course it goes the other way too, so there's no guarantee your reformed, repentant Harry won't just descend into another drug-fueled meltdown for his next case.

Also regarding the player, I came to think of them (me?) as a sort of twenty-fifth skill, like Free Will or something. You are the part of Harry not strictly bound to the material realm of skill points, checks, and other deterministic restraints.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

christmas boots posted:

No, succeeding the check is necessary to start realizing that you're Tequila Sunset before bridge is fixed.

while Raphael Ambrosius Costeau is a detective's detective name, Tequila Sunset is the unquestionable champion

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Too many narcs in this thread will never experience the joy of convincing Kim that maybe he should try drugs to be a better detective too.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I want to take the anti-radiation drugs they seem like a good time.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Vagabong posted:

Too many narcs in this thread will never experience the joy of convincing Kim that maybe he should try drugs to be a better detective too.

Holy poo poo please tell me this is a thing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not content to destroy his own life, goons now want to turn Harry into a drug pusher. Sad, the only thing I'm pushing on Kim is the Sigma Grindset.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Nash posted:

Holy poo poo please tell me this is a thing

Of course not Kimball is immune to peer pressure

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I was sad when you only got to hang out with Kim smoking the one time but then I realized that it's a miracle he let you in on his private relaxation ritual after the first day and of loving course he wants some privacy after the second and so on days of jogging after your sad rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Buschmaki posted:

Tripping on psychedelic anti-radiation drugs is basically a panacaea and will cure all of Harry's ill both physically and mentally.

https://twitter.com/discoelysiumbot/status/1560453592439353345?t=HhpVP4GLVJx5g4NE5xpfeg&s=19