Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Garte has definitely changed and sounds kind of like he did his lines in a broom closet. Lena is also completely different. Not that it really matters. Can't wait to play this again :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Some introductions and narration between dialog isn't voiced. Is that a bug? The tie was trying to talk to me when I came up with a lovely name for instance and I didn't hear it. Writing about this game makes you sound insane and I love it.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

EorayMel posted:

:pcgaming: Daba-doop-doop-dead. :pcgaming:

EorayMel posted:

Measurehead narrating his race theory :flashfap:

Oh God yes I'm looking forward to these

Oh poo poo, I just remembered we're gonna have fully voiced Sunday friend now

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The line read of Rooty Tooty Pointy Shooty made me loving lose it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

New Cuno lacks the raw energy of old Cuno, at least for me.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

BurningBeard posted:

Some introductions and narration between dialog isn't voiced. Is that a bug? The tie was trying to talk to me when I came up with a lovely name for instance and I didn't hear it. Writing about this game makes you sound insane and I love it.

I also encountered an introduction that wasn't voiced. I assume you don't mean the narration in-between dialogue? Those are always silent.

Also in this bit, the narrator called it the Nine Day Government for some reason. And the opening reptilian brain dialogue is the same and still mispronounces "conscience" twice. :argh:

After giving it a few minutes I got used to every skill having the same voice fairly quickly though. I think their reasoning of not having the player be overwhelmed makes sense, especially when there's miltiple skills chiming in and arguing. I do miss Klaasje's old voice actor though, and the Chapo boys.

Edit:

UnknownMercenary posted:

I remember being able to hover over a skill check and seeing what your roll would be for it. Did they remove that?

e: Maybe it's not available in Hardcore mode.

ha I also assumed that was a hardcore mode thing but it looks like it was a bug, it now shows the percentages after installing the latest update. (steam version)

Useful Distraction fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 31, 2021

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I only played a little bit but I find the narrator's delivery very interesting. I would have thought you just couldn't read a lot of lines in DE as bone dry as he does, but it somehow actually works

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Useful Distraction posted:

After giving it a few minutes I got used to every skill having the same voice fairly quickly though. I think their reasoning of not having the player be overwhelmed makes sense, especially when there's miltiple skills chiming in and arguing.

Yeah I thought it was going to be weird and disappointing for say, Empathy and Half Light to be read with the same voice. But all these different influences are all ending up getting filtered through the same brain. It works after all. It kind of helps unify things a bit more too. Even though there's all these competing urges fighting under the surface, it's still one person.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Is there any way to revert back to old Cuno but keep the rest of this final cut the same??

EDIT: Cuno voice aside this is really really good work. Very happy that an excellent game got even better.

SilkyP fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 31, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

No Mods No Masters posted:

Incidentally, insane respect to them for ultimately not using the touched up skill portraits. It must have been hard to take that feedback but they did. Rostov remains unblemished

Holy moly I've not been following anything about the final cut so boy am I glad they didn't change those. Opening the stats screen would've been a real shock to my system.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
How's measurehead now?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Frankly, he's racist.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I feel like it was a missed opportunity to not recast the Oraanje (Oranjeers? Oraanjists?) with South African VAs.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Well I can't help feeling like there's some buggy poo poo going on with the voicing at the moment. Seems every now and again whole sections of narration even independent of dialog are not being spoken.

That aside, having 1 intellect has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a game. I'm assuming that's why some of these utterly brain dead options are available. Do attribute levels work like that in this? It's hard to tell how much of it is attribute related and how much is just due to the circumstances of amnesia.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

BurningBeard posted:

Well I can't help feeling like there's some buggy poo poo going on with the voicing at the moment. Seems every now and again whole sections of narration even independent of dialog are not being spoken.

That aside, having 1 intellect has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a game. I'm assuming that's why some of these utterly brain dead options are available. Do attribute levels work like that in this? It's hard to tell how much of it is attribute related and how much is just due to the circumstances of amnesia.

A high intellect character is just a different way to be stupid.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

BurningBeard posted:

Yeah I've run into this a few times now.

roofus619
Dec 7, 2005

Brain eating? Hmmmmm, That's pretty unusual
The MacOS Steam version finally just started downloading for me.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Discuss.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

I've seen Boondock Saints, so I concur.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

What exactly happens if you cheat and give yourself 6666?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Kraftwerk posted:

What exactly happens if you cheat and give yourself 6666?

I remember reading someone did that and every dialogue took a ridiculously long time because all the skills were chiming in 24/7?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
What are the options for playing with the original VAs/same amount of voice acting as the original DE release? I'm afraid to update the game since I mostly prefer reading to narration (I don't like audiobooks) but I like having a voice actor give me a little taste & set the tone when I first meet somebody. I'd be happy to play with the new actors and I'd like to see the new content but I'm not really up for that much people noise.

Gorn Myson posted:

Pretty sure the characters the Chapo boys played have been re-cast.

Is this confirmed? They generally weren't great in addition to being distracting.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The smoker on the balcony sounds different. I haven't run into the others yet.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

treat posted:

What are the options for playing with the original VAs/same amount of voice acting as the original DE release? I'm afraid to update the game since I mostly prefer reading to narration (I don't like audiobooks) but I like having a voice actor give me a little taste & set the tone when I first meet somebody. I'd be happy to play with the new actors and I'd like to see the new content but I'm not really up for that much people noise.

Is this confirmed? They generally weren't great in addition to being distracting.

There are 3 modes for the voice acting - full (although some narration in dialogue is still silent), psychological (full voices for dialogue, no other narration) or classic (the original voices, and largely unvoiced).

The Chapo guys are all recast unless you're in Classic. Klaasje is also no longer a podcaster - same vibe though, just without the baggage of the original actor. Some characters are the same actors, even minor ones (like Plaisance and Annette at the bookstore), and most of the recasts go for the same vibe as the originals. Some like Lena are very different though (she's got an American drawl now). All around I really like the new voice acting, and the narration is generally great too. Some line reads aren't perfect but that's inevitable with this sheer amount of text. Most of the time the narrator feels like a really high quality audiobook.

Full Cuno is brilliant too, even though he does lack some of the particularly intense mania that the original had. Good in his own right though. And obviously having lots more voiced Kim is worth the replay by itself.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

treat posted:

Felix, Will and Virgil have definitely been re-cast. No idea about Matt, but I wouldn't be shocked. I say this as a fan of the pod its for the better because they're not actors.

I'm on day 1 and I'm pretty sure that its maybe Joyce who is the one voice actor thats been retained, and even then I'm not completely sure.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Gorn Myson posted:

Felix, Will and Virgil have definitely been re-cast. No idea about Matt, but I wouldn't be shocked. I say this as a fan of the pod its for the better because they're not actors.

I'm on day 1 and I'm pretty sure that its maybe Joyce who is the one voice actor thats been retained, and even then I'm not completely sure.

Joyce, Kim, Annette, Plaisance, and Cindy are definitely all the same as the originals. Garte, Lena, Klaasje, Siileng, Cuno, Vicquemare and maybe Cunoesse and Minot are recasts. I haven't spoken to others yet.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
That all sounds just about perfect. Can the modes be switched easily on the fly without loading?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Pretty sure Measurehead's the same as the old VA.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

treat posted:

I've never listened to that podcast so it wasn't distracting to me, I actually sort of liked the performance of whoever of them it was who played the scab leader. Though in general when you're going to have so many more voiced lines than before it's better to get actual actors to do it.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

treat posted:

That all sounds just about perfect. Can the modes be switched easily on the fly without loading?

Yeah it's just in the options menu. Think you can change at any time.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.
Titus has been recast, he's going for what I'm guessing is a Southern accent.

I don't think Garte has been recast, he just sounds way more nasally than before. Evrart has the same problem.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

*checks gog*

oh my

hardcore aesthetics blazed through with the update

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

My only playthrough so far was sorry-cop/artist/communist with a lot of emotional/intellectual stats, so I am excited to see where Full Tankie takes me with half-light/physical, because I never dipped into those but they seem to have some of the funniest individual scenes people quote.

I also need to properly finish both the Joyce and Church dialogues, missed out on both of those first playthrough.

It's been long enough that I sorta remember and sorta forget everything. DISCOOOO

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

dead gay comedy forums posted:

*checks gog*

oh my

hardcore aesthetics blazed through with the update

something's wrong with your screen

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Roctavian posted:

something's wrong with your screen

Nope, that checks out. It's just HARDCOOORE

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
gently caress it im going high on int and force low on everything. im going to be a trainwreck

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Which skills will give me some kind of high level knowledge of what's REALLY going on in the world?
Like how do I gain an understanding of the political stuff, the pale or spiritual realm. How do I get into the deep political and philosophical debates?

Also on a more general level, is there a way for me to a competent cop who gets his poo poo together and goes through a redemption arc? Mostly I just want to be like "I know what's really going on and you can't fool me"

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kraftwerk posted:

Which skills will give me some kind of high level knowledge of what's REALLY going on in the world?
Like how do I gain an understanding of the political stuff, the pale or spiritual realm. How do I get into the deep political and philosophical debates?

Also on a more general level, is there a way for me to a competent cop who gets his poo poo together and goes through a redemption arc? Mostly I just want to be like "I know what's really going on and you can't fool me"

Much like in real life, there's a level of wokeness in DE that leads directly and rapidly to insanity. I mean, I guess some of the skills explicitly tell you this when they warn you about the consequences of very high levels of them.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
After screwing around with this for a little longer, can’t recommend for PS4. Framerate is pretty gnarly, and I looked into the voicing issue I was having. Something is definitely broken with it, because vids I’ve watched are fully VO’ed barring just the interstitial post quote lines. Have had all VO completely drop out too, apropos of nothing mid conversation. I do have it set to full, FWIW.

Aside from that, the targeting system they have for interactables is pretty bad and touchy.

Hopefully it gets a patch because it looks like a lot of fun, but definitely can’t recommend it in its current state. Apparently the framerate issues are also happening on PS5 from what I’ve read, but can’t speak to any of the other bugs I’ve encountered carrying over.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Kraftwerk posted:

If you want lots of useless background trivia about the world and how it functions/is organized, then go with a high encyclopedia skill. But generally speaking this isn't Planescape: Torment and you aren't going to get locked out of crucial information because you didn't max wisdom at character generation. In fact, each stat has an associated skill that deals with perception or painting a wider picture of the world around you and you can't max them all.

If you want to play someone semi-competent, then you can just set all your stats to 3 and choose all the boring dialogue options. Be the Boring Cop.