Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

BurningBeard posted:

Well I can't help feeling like there's some buggy poo poo going on with the voicing at the moment. Seems every now and again whole sections of narration even independent of dialog are not being spoken.

That aside, having 1 intellect has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a game. I'm assuming that's why some of these utterly brain dead options are available. Do attribute levels work like that in this? It's hard to tell how much of it is attribute related and how much is just due to the circumstances of amnesia.

A high intellect character is just a different way to be stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Sekenr posted:

Decided to do a physical run this time and already miss my best friend the tie (he was silent so far). Also, decided to roll with Revacholian nationhood because it seems to fit, however it doesn't, counterintuitively you need to have high PSY to be able to take damage from fascist dialogues.

That thought is supposed to be self destructive.

To counter it, take the Magnesium Based Lifeform thought which will give you 2 more Volition. I also picked up Opioid Receptor Antagonist on my hard fash run, which makes it so you basically can't use any drugs, but alcohol has no downside so just chug chug chug those filthy foreigners away.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Starting up my full yellow ultraliberal run. What color should I focus on secondary? Thinking red.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

My immediate thought the first time you meet Cuno with his original voice acting was "Oh, this kid is on something." So...

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

macabresca posted:

How many skills can you max out? I've noticed you can use xp to remove thoughts and some other things like that, does it require careful planning or do you get enough xp for all your needs?

I'm having a major choice paralysis and I'm only on lvl 3...

Don't worry about choices, especially stats. Build the character you want to build, they are all viable.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Give it a week. There will probably be hotfixes if it's that common that 2 different posters are having the same problem. Remember, this is a small independent developer and the update is free for everyone.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The main "narrator" sounds very familiar. Did he work on another game as narrator?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How is this even a question? Eat the stew.

No, i don't care what it is or where it came from. Eat the stew.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i am gonna wait for a couple patches. harrys mind ended up snapping because because of weird conversations about the corpse so i had to go back a save. i ended up wandering around and getting more exp and owning that bookstore owner. question. is the game on a timer? because of the whole day thing?

As long as you find a way to pay for your room on the first day, there is no timer.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The order or placement of your thoughts within your cabinet does not impact anything except for the fact that you get your first three thoughts for free, and then you have to buy additional slots.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

That entire subplot pisses me off.
Harry fixates on his ex way too hard. Like I get that this is a terrible breakup and that he lost a lot in the process. But is that any reason to flush your entire life down the proverbial toilet? All I wanted was for Harry to get over it, move on and meet another woman who he's compatible with. Instead the game kind of runs you through these obsessive morale/health nightmares. I mean all of these issues can be resolved. He can find love again and it might even be healthier and more rewarding than his last relationship.'

It is no coincidence that when Harry dreams of his wife, he dreams of Dolores Dei. In essence, they are the same thing. Dolores is the embodiment of Moralism, the worship of the status quo. To the moralist, everything anomalous seems...insignificant. Communist uprising? No biggy. Orphans playing with corpses in the street? That's just the way it is. The gods are in their heavens. Everything is as it should be.

But this faith in the status quo is vanishing fast. The old church is empty. Where there was once worship of moralism, now there is nothing; a tear the fabric of the reality. And that's kind of the point. Just like Harry can't fix his relationship with his ex-wife, nobody can repair the damage that moralism has suffered. Nobody believes that the status quo is tenable. The world is teetering on the edge of war, and nothing will ever be the same.

Maybe the revolution will succeed. Maybe you can fill the church with music. Maybe you can convince the moralists to dance hardcore. Maybe not.

But moralism is as dead as disco.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Gonna force myself to try this again. 5/3/2/2, with Logic as my signature.

Question, is getting thru the game without drugs/alcohol use a reasonable ask?

Getting sober can be a big turning point for Harry.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Sokani posted:

He also reveals that the harbor will largely be dedicated to the drug trade, legal and otherwise. He's going to improve Martinaise by exporting misery elsewhere.

That is a rather unfair characterization.

It is true that the union will be dealing drugs, but that's because contraband is the only thing that the capitalists dedicated to destroying the union don't have power over. It's basically their only source of income outside of the capitalist structure.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Someone posted a long analysis of Evarte and Joyce which I can't find right now, but the basic interpretation was that the contrast between the two faction leaders proves how the individual drives and actions of even the most powerful leaders is not nearly as important as the power structure they are leading.

Joyce is a kind, patient, generous, and extremely intelligent billionaire. It is later revealed that she is the majority stockholder of Wild Pines. She does not desire any bloodshed. In fact, she makes the promise that the union can keep the harbor without further conflict. However, capitalism is a cancerous system. It must grow and grow at all costs, human or otherwise. Joyce cannot stop the coming war, just like she couldn't stop the mercenaries being sent in the first place. Her desires, drive, and mercy are largely irrelevant to the need for the capitalist system to consume.

Meanwhile, Evrarte is despicable. He's a drug dealing, conniving, manipulative sonofa bitch. But in order to accumulate power, he must strengthen the union. And in doing so, he acts to further the wellbeing of it's members.

Most importantly, this conflict between wild pines and the union ia inevitable. The conditions in Revachol have forced the people to risk their lives in conflict with a far wealthier and well equipped force. They don't revolt because they want to, they revolt because they have to.

Captain Oblivious posted:

They kinda are.

Lol.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

The communist leaders in.....the moralintern? Who do you think crushed the revolution?

I took it as sarcastic :shrug:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Most of the time anyway. For now. But he's also actively building an organization where that's not always going to be true, and things have already not worked out well at all for the other members that wanted to build a different sort of union (what with him having everyone who contested his leadership murdered and all). Once Wild Pines is gone, its no longer the Union vs the Bosses, where Edgar wins by fighting for the workers. Once Wild Pines is gone, he IS the boss, not the guy trying to fight against the boss. I expect things are going to change rather quickly.

Evrarte may have seized the leadership through skullduggery, but the election isn't the source of his power. People aren't willing to risk their lives for Evrarte because he got enough votes. The reason that the Claires evoke such dogmatic loyalty is because they take care of the union. Say what you want about the drugs, it's putting food on the table for all of Revachol. The moment that the union can't feed people is the moment that Evrarte loses everything. Contrast that with Wild Pines which enforces its will by hired killers. Wild Pines doesn't give a poo poo if you're starving or homeless, you will work. And if you don't work, they'll find someone else.

Now, if you want to talk about what happens after a successful revolution, I don't think that Evrarte could stay in power without treating Revachol better than Wild Pines had. Evrarte just wouldn't have the unilateral coercive power to hold together a union that hated him.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I dunno if they cut it, but it was always missable, so you may have missed it organically.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

The only thing that slightly annoys me is when there's no dialogue option that sincerely reflects my views but rather makes a joke of them. Like there's one dialogue with a response that's like "blah blah blah, FEMINISM!!" in a way that implies I'm picking the option because The Cop is pretending to be a feminist and I'm like... can't I just actually be a feminist? Dudes can be feminists. I even have a Thought about it.

Edit: not that I'm a dude

Harry is a walking political parody, which means his only possible approach to feminism is shrieking misogynist or accusing the mailbox of supporting the patriarchy.

If you want a balanced, functional man who promotes equal rights for everyone regardless of gender then Harry is not your dude.

Edit: If it makes you feel better, Harry makes fun of all political positions, especially the political position not to have a political position.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 9, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

On day 3 of my motorics rerun, and Evrart doesn't feel as corrupt as I remember him. He doesn't request anything that Joyce wouldn't, he's just completely open about it while Joyce tries to hide how blatantly she is swaying the investigation.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Starks posted:

Yeah I’m doing a high mot playthrough and a little disappointed.

Same.

Thinking of starting over.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Reveilled posted:

Very meta theory: Dolores Dei is the personification of Role-Playing Games. She's interested in wargames, but is depicted with a toy soldier, singular, because that's the unit of control in a role playing game, unlike a wargame. Her glowing lungs are a reflection of the fact that she brought talking and acting to the traditional wargame. It's why in the dream, she can describe Harry as working top to bottom through a list of dialogue options and chastise him for it, because that's not really roleplaying. Before her, mankind was limited, like all units in a wargame, by the bounds of the map. Dolores Dei was the force that was born out of a drive to create new worlds, to explore the places which are not already on the map. And in a role playing game, the premise and setting are handed down to you from on high by the DM. If the premise of the setting is a fantasy feudal society, you will make characters who reflect that reality*, and that's Moralism at it's core.

And heck, if there's one singular piece of RPGs that have penetrated into the cultural mainstream, it's Morality, isn't it? Even if you've never played an RPG, you can probably read an alignment chart.

*Yes, you can make a D&D campaign about, say, rogue covert mercenaries investigating a global vampire conspiracy in present day Europe, but for the love of god don't. Just play Night's Black Agents instead.

As fun as this would be, Dolores is the personification of the status quo. The reason she loves pieces and figurines is that the powers that be treat individuals like objects to be moved and removed so as to make sure that nothing fundamentally changes. Her glowing lungs are for the words she speaks in lieu of action, "I'm so sorry you're hungry, I feel bad!" instead of actually supplying food.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

The main problem being that she represented a massive change to the status quo in multiple ways. Her arrival heralded the beginning of a new age.

Yes, she was the new status quo. And her pregnancy represents the next status quo that will exist after the success/failure of the revolution.

At least, that's my reading of it

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

sean10mm posted:

A huge problem in the world at large is that being on the (self-defined) "right side" in politics/religion/whatever entitles you to be an unlimited loving rear end in a top hat to everyone around you. DE manages to avoid that trap quite deftly by showing how any ideology Harry adopts will be warped by Harry's broken mental state.

Conversely, it shows otherwise "better" people than Harry with political beliefs the writers think are terrible (except fascists I guess because gently caress 'em.)

Even measurehead is still working on behalf of the union, and has union colors on the background of his portrait:

The larger message seems to be that individual responsibility isn't particularly important. It doesn't matter that measurehead is a gigantic racist rear end in a top hat, he is stopping the mercs from breaking the strike. Even though he, personally, is an rear end in a top hat, assholes can still do good things as part of larger systems. A person's individual ideology is largely irrelevant to the impact they have on the world. Just look at Harry: He can be a fascist, liberal, communist, moralist, what have you. But no matter what he believes, by the end of the day he solves the case.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Nessus posted:

I am only at the start of day 3 but my read on Measurehead was that he was something analogous to a black nationalist, while people like the lorry drivers were white nationalists/garden-variety shithead racists.

Black nationalism is very different from what Measurehead is pushing. Black nationalism isn't about the supremacy of one race over another, it's about liberation from the oppression of a White supremacist state. Measurehead is more of a Hotep.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

EorayMel posted:

Authority urges you to assert and reassert your dominance over those around you. It enables you to understand the power dynamics of groups of thugs

Perhaps it is because the police are simply another group of "thugs".

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

If I want to skip straight to the vision quests, what are the prereqs?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

All these are great.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 28, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

World War Mammories posted:

well, that's kind of the thesis. "You should build communism precisely *because* it is impossible."

I dunno, I got a very different message. To me, it seemed like "You should build communism even though you may never see it in your lifetime." It's an a task worth attempting even if it fails because there is no other choice. At worst, it's either "die to capitalism" or "die trying to fight capitalism".

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

That's what I get for using volition as a dump stat in all my playthroughs.

Like a proper cop.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Even before Covid hit, the global emissions rate of increase (between 2016-2019) slowed down 20%

Following this pattern, in 20 years we will be pouring more carbon into the atmosphere than we are today.

Which is around the time when we need to be having net carbon outputs of 0.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also on a read up of Kirby lore I feel like the detective would fit into Smash Bros enough at least in that he'd definitely get along with Kirby and take the lore revelations of the series in stride.

Cuno..................PUNCH!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's really a matter of how campy you like Cuno. Old Cuno was really over the top, and I can't imagine that voice actor pulling off his quieter and more vulnerable.moments.

It's a matter of preference.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah, like I'm ever going to wear a tie!

That would be a dope Halloween costume though...

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Don't you basically convince Cuno to become a cop? At the very least you give him a sense he can do positive things and actually put his brain to use solving problems.. That seems like something

Cuno is portrayed as only understanding violence. You gain his respect by punching him in the mouth, and he describes his father as some avatar of violence. I don't think giving a guy like Cuno a badge and a gun is going to be a net good for society, which kind of makes sense with the themes of the characters. There's a bunch of perfectly legitimate people you could have recruited to finish the investigation (titus, cryptozoologist wife, etc.) and the one person who will join you is a complete piece of poo poo. It strikes me less as a redemption arc, and more a depiction of the authors opinions about policing than anything

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Cuno is a malnourished gremlin child who has grown up with a drunk single parent in absolutely crushing poverty. Do you expect him to have a nuanced view of the world?

Of course not, but I also don't think he should be trained to handle a badge and a gun.

This isn't a judgement of Cuno, he is very much a victim of circumstance.

Edit; I guess "piece of poo poo" was a bit judgy, in hind sight.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Fabricated posted:

It's heavily implied that this construction noise is going to be intentionally obnoxious as possible and the plans for the center place it so close to the shantytown houses as to effectively be right on top of them. It'll make them miserable and probably leave, at which Evrart and co. will try to get their land too- with Evrart offering some canard about giving them better affordable housing in return.

Out of curiosity, who is it that tells you this information?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

what is nitw?

Edit: nvm, night in the woods. I gotta play that game.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

A red dancing check, huh? What's the worst that could happen?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

EorayMel posted:

(Never) gently caress With Kim Kitsuragi

Actually, always gently caress with Kim he'll back you up no matter what. That's kind of his deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

space uncle posted:

Working on my Halloween costume…

Awesome.

If anyone asks, tell them you are Raphael Ambrosious Costeau.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 5, 2021