Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
My two cents on your initial build - don't be afraid of having a dump stat. Both very high and very low attributes lead to fun outcomes. Yes, there might be a couple of challenges where it'll just be frustrating to have a low relevant attribute (since occasionally there'll be a skill check that's either the only path to progress, or the only path in the particular approach you're interested in), but they're outweighed by the amount of wild, stupid, amazing poo poo you can do with a high stat, and you can always use clothing (which gives small skill bonuses), check modifiers (actions or dialogue options that improve/worsen your chances for a particular skill check, i.e. being friendly to a character earlier in a conversation makes it easier to pass a persuasion check on them later), or druuugs if you're particularly stuck on an individual roll. As mentioned, a lot of the skill check failures (though not all - a good chunk of them are your standard "you've failed, try again" result) are entertaining and open up other paths to the investigation. A 3/3/3/3 build gives you neither the crazy genius options nor the catastrophic failure ones, and I'd only recommend it if you want to do a quick playtest of the game to get a better feeling of what skills you like best.

Also, just in case it hasn't been mentioned, the max of your two health pools (physical health and morale) is defined by your Endurance and Volition skills, respectively. Therefore, a X/1/1/X build is pretty high-risk, though the risk of a 1-bar health pool is largely negated once you start finding health items, which are pretty generously strewn throughout the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Kraftwerk posted:

Which skills will give me some kind of high level knowledge of what's REALLY going on in the world?
Like how do I gain an understanding of the political stuff, the pale or spiritual realm. How do I get into the deep political and philosophical debates?

Also on a more general level, is there a way for me to a competent cop who gets his poo poo together and goes through a redemption arc? Mostly I just want to be like "I know what's really going on and you can't fool me"

This is pretty close to what I was gunning for in my original run - a guy who's trying his best in spite of being a complete fuckup and a bit *eccentric*, but competent or even gifted at what he does when it comes down to it. My build was 4-5-1-2 and I'd say it fit the bill pretty well. Physique as the dump stat means your Electrochemistry (your Party Hard skill) will be neutered, so you'll be less constantly bombarded with yearnings to shoot heroin directly into your eyeballs. Volition is basically your Get Your poo poo Together skill, so keep that high if you want the constant stream of moral support from your own brain coming.
The High Level Knowledge comes in a number of ways. There's Encyclopedia, which is basically your Wiki-surfing skill - lots of tidbits of trivia that range from the moderately relevant to the task at hand to the utterly useless. This includes a lot of lore, but it will usually be missing core elements of the world's history, which will have to be explained to you by other characters. The more metaphysical includes Inland Empire (your Twin Peaks brain - lots of cryptic and foreboding advice with a paranormal edge, which might only make sense once it's too late), Shivers (the ability to *feel* the city) and Conceptualization (abstract interpretation of people, objects and concepts - a lot of its early interventions are :jerkbag: incarnate, but it does have some of the most devastating lines in the game later on)

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Has anyone reached any of the Vision Quests yet, or any other kind of new content?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I believe this is what the kids call "blursed".
https://twitter.com/shadowdiosama/status/1436835545754181638?s=20

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

cumshitter posted:

The first time the game got me to laugh really hard was when you get the option of "lick it, but just a little bit" when you find the dried liquor puddle next to the passed out guy at the bar.

Ugh, moralist options are the worst.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Speaking of good fanart
https://twitter.com/YaGrandmaPeach/status/1494225137347952641?t=v2kV6r0DOc_OwnXAIalrbw&s=19

https://twitter.com/YaGrandmaPeach/status/1494226942454689794?t=btCrCkxDLz8DjEw8qkg06w&s=19

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Gary's the lucky racist that grants you three wishes so he can't be F tier. Sunday Friend is the only F tier.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Gorn Myson posted:

Completed the game again today. Either I forgot or I only just found it, but one of the characters quoting a communist marching song which is actually just "If You Tolerate This Then Your Children Will Be Next" by the Manics put a huge smile on my face. Something about the anachronistic references in this game just gets me good.

I think the floor graffiti after the shootout is also based on a modern (french) song, unless it's just the same phrase

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I don't remember if he says so outright at any point, but Kim's parents ended up on the receiving end of a Communard firing squad, right? That tends to sour people away from utopian ideologies.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

The line from the opening of the moralist vision quest is haunting: "Then you haven't lived through real chaos." Kim has, and wants to help people without possibly setting the world on fire.

Then you get the solution to the moralist thought cabinet project and it's the most ghoulish poo poo out of all the ideologies. I love that.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Heath posted:

There are no wrong choices and there is no failure. Except you of course

The only wrong choice is shaving

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Dang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfjM2L8DfCc

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
re: skill voices, can't remember if this one was posted before but reposting because it rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkgTWtG7Q6o

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Silly Harry. You can't *take* La Responsabilité.
La Responsabilité is *taken from you*.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

christmas boots posted:

For the love of god don’t tell Kim the second one

I think you don't have a choice if you fail the composure check or what was it, which is pretty hard if you chose to tell her that you want to have gently caress with her.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
LOGIC [Trivial : Success] @druboil spend less on candles

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Fister Roboto posted:

"Are women bourgeois" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Lampsacus posted:

Anything I should know before playing this for the first time?

The first instinct of a lot of players is to go for a well-rounded build (3333 or thereabouts) to cover all your bases. While I wouldn't say that's a *wrong* way to play, I'd suggest not to be afraid of picking more lopsided stats. The game truly shines when you're either unbelievably incompetent or impossibly skilled, and a run-of-the-mill skillset will make those occasions rarer. Best way to create your character is to go with what appeals to you from a roleplaying perspective rather than preemptively minmaxing for whatever you think will be most useful.

Setting your Psyche and/or Physique at 1 will mean that you'll get an instant gameover from any damage of that kind (mental or physical), but that only goes for the very start of the game (first hour or less?) since the game is extremely generous with both experience points (which you can use to upgrade your skills, including Volition and Endurance, which are the ones linked to your health pools) and healing items, which you can use even after you've taken lethal damage.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

christmas boots posted:

I've made Tequila break down over less.

Extremely unfair to compare both games on that front - crying mechanics have become infinitely more advanced in the last few decades.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Tarezax posted:

I think the closest real-world analogue to Measurehead is Hoteps.

That or Black Israelites, yeah. Maybe that weirdo with the Egypt-themed cult compound, can't remember if he was hotep or hotep-adjacent.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

FPyat posted:

Has DE resonated with South Korean players? Personally, I found that the way the Cold War hangs over Korean history and politics made Revachol feel like a very familiar place.

I felt Revachol *extremely* relatable as a Chilean, except for the bit about it formerly ruling the world. I think most players from Got-hosed-over-by-the-cold-war Gang countries will be able to relate.

repiv posted:

I don't think the devs have ever confirmed it, but a lot of people seem to think he was inspired by a specific Twitter weirdo called Hakan who had a thing for extremely esoteric race theory

I don't discard the possibility of Measurehead being inspired by a single race weirdo, but I took him more as a general parody of an extremely common type of racist you will inevitably find in droves if you're Too Online. I remember being halfway through his explanation of the Advanced Racist Lore and thinking "bet this guy posts on the Paradox forums"

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
That's Oranjese profiling. You should do more of that.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I think a lot of people miss out on Measurehead's racesplaining rant because they assume internalizing race theory = going fash. You can listen to his entire spiel, internalize the thought, and then tell him to gently caress off. He still helps, and Kim doesn't mind!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
It's the price to pay in order to gain awareness of the Maun menace.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Heath posted:

So if I want to do Columbo, what? Reaction Speed, Logic, Conceptualization?

Reaction Speed is the "oh, one more thing..." skill so yeah (though I had terrible Motorics and the only time it actually did the thing was in the first meeting with Klaasje). Empathy might help, and also Encyclopedia to keep a tidy archive of all the trivia bits your wife/nephew/barber/cousin casually told you the other day and just so happen to be vital information now.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Edit: ^^^^ how can anyone take me seriously with these interfacing rubber gloves on?

Tell them you're a boy genius who's briefly stepped out of the secret laboratory he keeps in his bedroom

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
If you want your gun, Mr. Evrart must help you find your gun. If you won't help Mr. Evrart help you find your gun, you won't find your gun, therefore the quest is ended. It's not impossible to beat the game as a gunless cop, but it'll be harder.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Finding the bullet on your first examination is some straight up real po-leese poo poo, but it robs you from having to stash the corpse in a polar bear fridge, which is the only route I will accept as canon

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
A place to stay at for free becomes accesible from day... 3? 4? onwards. You can also pawn a few things to Roy for a little extra cash - I think the postcards are always safe to pawn, though they're only worth a couple or reals each.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
With those ever-perpetuating copyright terms, you know Michael Mouse is Savoir Faire.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

I think I speak for all of us when I say:

?????????????

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
If they have to file off the serial numbers to release Misco Melysium 2, I'm okay with that.
If they work on some completely new IP, I'm okay with that.
If they look for a legal loophole that lets them gently caress over post-ZAUM and send the entirety of DE into the public domain, I'm okay with that.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Calling it: if the core dev team does stick together instead of scattering into the four winds, the new company will be called Fortress Accident

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Has there been a statement from Kurvitz or Hindpere?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
The current status of the IP question hasn't been clarified, but it could very well end up with Za/um being entitled to the name Disco Elysium itself and little more.

Anyway,
https://twitter.com/TravelSizeTrish/status/1576648773648154624

This makes the third random dev with a Blizzard background I've seen tut-tutting at all rabid fans with their ~auteur theory~.
I looked it up and the accussations are bunk, by the way. "Barely brandished any notable work" is outright litigable.

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 4, 2022

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Baiting Kurvitz and Hindpere into replying to this poo poo would be a great way to paint them as "difficult to work with". Not having a twitter account proves to be one of the better life choices you could make, yet again.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Wanna guess how many tweets down that guy's timeline you have to go before he blames the downfall of western civilization on the jews?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Bloody Pom posted:

This is one hell of a monkey's paw given Bioware's track record, you know that right?

e: It's also the best shot we'll probably ever have at a non-human ME protagonist, so I'm conflicted.

Desperately looking forward to HDB recreating all the animation bugs from Andromeda.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Best actual tip I can give that a lot of people miss is that you can use heal items even if you've taken lethal damage, just click on the thingy before your health bar completely depletes. Earthbound rules, basically. The game's super generous with health items and experience points (though I guess items are harder to come by if your perception's at rock bottom), so dying becomes progressively less likely as you move forward. Remember that your two health pools (morale and health) are determined by your Volition and Endurance skills, respectively.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
There have been no details re: the IP situation. Luiga said they're keeping mum on that front for the time being, probably because they might take it to court, but it would genuinely seem pretty difficult for ZA/UM to outright swindle them out of the IP as a whole, as opposed to just, say, rights over the game itself. Luiga also said that progress on the next game is "stuck" rather than "lost" - you could take that a ton of different ways, but I'm leaning towards thinking that what they lost is the means to get a project started now that they're hosed out of a company (and like, you could say "just crowdfund it" but even with the prominence they gained it's just not that simple). ZA/UM have also, to my knowledge, not given any signals that they're working on a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Verviticus posted:

if im gonna a totally non-gamer to play DE, is it worthwhile giving them a build that has a good chance of succeeding in the checks required to talk to the phasmid and if so, what would i want to tell them to invest in? (its been too long since ive played to remember exactly how that works)

That check's determined way more by the modifiers than by your skill levels (I never leveled up the corresponding skill in my entire run and passed the check with 1), so I don't think that in particular would be a problem. Only build advice I'd suggest for a non-gamer would be giving them more than 1 in PSY and PHYS, since dying while grabbing a tie in the first few minutes of the game can be a funny anecdote for regular players but I'd imagine it would be extremely frustrating for someone who just wants to see what's the big hubbub and now has to sit through the entire opening monologue again.