Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

Any performance reviews? I'm torn between the switch and stadia versions.

Switch release isn't until Q3, Stadia is out today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I was incredibly worried this game wouldn't be as magical the second time through but it sunk its hooks right back in as soon as I started playing today.

I really, really hope this update gets new folks to give it a go because it is as perfect a game as we're likely to see for years

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

Well, that answers the question of "how do they make an even better sequel?": They don't.

Disco Elysium 2 is the same as Mother 4 - our real lives

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve been following along for the past half a dozen pages and looking on the internet for more clues, but I’m turning up nothing.

Where is the “gently caress capitalism” sentiment coming from? Do we know for sure that’s the cause of any of this? I mean, in general, gently caress capitalism, but I’m just curious if there’s a reason that’s the current narrative in this thread.
He's being about as clear as he can with the NDA
https://twitter.com/martinluiga/status/1576281325535137793?s=20&t=Kzy_AE5abaRocJnWsmzH3Q

and on the bright side:
https://twitter.com/martinluiga/status/1576470031055347712?s=20&t=Kzy_AE5abaRocJnWsmzH3Q
https://twitter.com/martinluiga/status/1576614286935236608?s=20&t=Kzy_AE5abaRocJnWsmzH3Q

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Well I know who I'd be calling on when my company boots needing a good spitshine

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm not a big believer of Auteur Theory, but I think there is a difference between "video games are a collaborative effort" and "actually, one third of the game's credited writing team had nothing to do with the quality of the game and their departure doesn't matter for anything else the company does in the future."

"The writers and art lead that created the collective and spent decades working on the world together before it became a game"

There is a huge difference and everyone still at the studio is exploiting their work. 99% of the time I will not begrudge people for staying on at a job but in this case I think ignoring the moral convictions necessary to stay in such an environment guarantee you are incapable of creating a sincere piece comparable to the original anyway

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Again, I'd never apply that to any creative venture that wasn't explicitly about the corruption of the world by capitalist exploitation but in this one specific case you really think solidarity should win out over the all consuming monolith

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the people that actually created the game were forced to

that's why this is happening

I'm not saying the people still working there are bad people - I'm saying by virtue of them still working there when the people behind the original were forcibly ousted are going to have a really tough time trying to tell a story about any sort of sincere convictions like those that were conveyed in the original and that made it beloved.

Especially if what comes next is riddled with microtransactional nonsense that the latest ZA/UM job postings indicate are going to be coming
Like, good on them for getting a paycheck but the writing is on the wall

even if it's only self-interest, your instincts should be telling you to jump to something else as soon as you possibly can

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Antonymous posted:

If there was a plan for a sequel it would have been in Jamrock or maybe on another insulinde. Kurvitz talked about the 'tribunal' being something he wanted to have more of, maybe making choices second by second as a car flips over, or while falling through the air, or while trapped inside a house fire etc.

At least that much was in the cards after Disco got released

I will hope for the best case where somehow the core group keeps their IP and gets to make their sequel at another studio.

second best is we get some weird rights split where ZA/UM owns Harry/Kim/the disco elysium name and Kurvitz keeps the larger world he created in the novel that they can make a spiritual successor with.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 3, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Huh, yeah that's a lot more precise.

I'm leery about assigning authorial intent, especially not being super familiar with Zaum's background in Estonia but it's also not a hill I care to die on.

The red text in the quote someone posted at you above is the author stating his intent
That's Kurvitz
before Disco Elysium was anything else it was a project he made with just his friends and a book so you can pretty safely assign his stated intent to the work they made together

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I guess this is the part where the sense of tragic loss is overtaken by the anger and the corporate flailing that shits all over not just future prospects but the legacy of the original

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Disco becoming "Steal This Game" is appropriate for its legacy

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

quote:

I think ZA/UM Studio in its current form will not be developing the sequel and I am unsure of the number of people left in the company who also worked on the original Disco.
I am very intrigued by this phrasing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

according to the person who scammed them out of their property and an anonymous source that definitely isn't the other person that scammed them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the source that is not Estonian Fraudman (Sam, Estonian Fraudman here) just said "it's not black and white" but they still respect Kurvitz and new people for some reason didn't want to say anything for reasons
there is no direct allegation that is not coming from the criminal
I think saying "yeah I could see Kurvitz being an rear end in a top hat with issues he has to work through" is as far as you can go without knowing something more