Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

I've seen Boondock Saints, so I concur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Ok so I have a question about Joyce:

Kim suggests trying to "throw her off" by being wacky and weird. Has anyone actually found a way to pull this off? Or are we just destined to "play right into her hands" no matter what? First playthrough I did the drug investigation thing, second time I just conceded to come back to her once I found my badge. Either case, Kim always remarked that the discussion isn't going the way he hoped. I wanna do things differently on different playthroughs, so I'd like to know if it's even possible to achieve this supposed "throwing off" of Joyce.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

World War Mammories posted:

at points it sounds like instead of making him read every sentence they made him read every phrase in the script individually and then spliced it together. "the rain. falls. in sheets. you run your. hands. through. your hair."

Maybe he's just channelling William Shatner.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I think nuCuno is great. Could use a bit more intensity in some lines, but overall he's a great fit.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
More VA talk: I could listen to the novelty dicemaker tell me stories all day. Or at least until I fell asleep. She sounds so soothing.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Man, so far the voice acting has been decent to good otherwise, but this new Titus loving sucks. The guy is just laying this gruff redneck act on way the hell too thick. The original dude was actually pretty decent, so this is extra frustrating for such a prominent character.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

more than anything in this game i'm looking forward to finally hearing the narrator read out the internalised centrism thought

As great a job as Lenval Brown is doing, he still might not top the GLaDOS text-to-speech AI someone in the previous thread fed that piece to. God drat that was hauntingly fitting.

https://vocaroo.com/1cozRXy6v3Mb

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Soona's new VA has possibly the most natural and convincing delivery of someone sounding *really* annoyed and frustrated that I remember hearing in a video game. The recording quality seems a bit off and she sounds a bit reedy, but drat she really sells those "No, that's not.... Look, could you PLEASE let me work" moments.

Also, I dunno if it's been mentioned before, but I'm reasonably sure her surname is some sort of reference to this person. The name is unique enough that I think it's highly unlikely to be coincidental, plus there's the whole connection with weird para-natural poo poo.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Uhhhhh, so Shivers-related church questline end spoilers: Anyone else succeeded in "engaging hyperdrive" while dancing and then passed a Godly Rhetoric passive while talking with La Revacholiere? Because uhhhhhh that's quite a revelation she gives for the future and what she needs Harry for. :stonk:

God, I love this game so much.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 15, 2021

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kraftwerk posted:

Can you tell me what happens in this scene? I think I got it but I failed a check in the middle of it.

Yeah, what World War Mammories said. More specifically, with the successful passive check, Rhetoric pieces together that La Revacholiere is afraid. And when you ask about it, she says that 22 years from now, she will cease to be as all of Revachol gets leveled by an atomic device. And she wants Harry to be her protector, to prevent it from happening. Because she's afraid to die. :(

World War Mammories posted:

one of the Apocalypse Cop lines is "there are 9,855 days remaining" and I'm pretty sure it's right

9855 days, assuming our standard 365 days per year, is 27 years. The last paragraph in the devblog entry "Welcome to Revachol" cryptically (at the time I read it) states it's 28 years till the end of the world. So yeah, Apocacop Harry is... pretty drat close. I could imagine that as the Pale keeps growing and growing, the world will get increasingly desperate to the extent that Revachol could get nuked for ~*reasons*~. Hell, maybe there will be a second Revolution and the Coalition just busts out the nuclear option. Or maybe a bit of both. In any case, I found it a super tantalising reveal.

EDIT: Unrelated, while we're sharing random dialog screenshots, here's Conceptualization laying down some loving mood

Nordick fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 15, 2021

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
:siren: Horrific Necktie is now available as official Disco Elysium merch.

https://twitter.com/studioZAUM/status/1395774604413739012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah, like I'm ever going to wear a tie!

I have worn a tie exactly once in my life, when my best friend got married and insisted I wear a tie to her wedding. I would give a lot for the chance to send a Horrific Necktie back in time to my past wedding going self in place of the drab grey one I had.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Grouchio posted:

Unless you roll your lucky pain threshold and composure checks in which case you shrug it off.

It's also possible to just stare him down and refuse to sit in the chair to begin with, with a Volition check I think.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Passing a 3% check to get rid of The Expression was the very first roll I ever made in this game.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 7, 2021

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm just upset we can't actually play Wirrâl, because the loving bookstore only has that supplement module and no core rulebook. :argh:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Pretty sure I had one of these in Fallout New Vegas

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

bop bop perano posted:

Lol, I should clarify all those are from ~2016 and it’s crazy to see how much is like finalized. The random NPC with the long hair is one of the scabs, and the gun is basically the same in those images as it is in the game.

Oh I recognised what it was, that was just my flippant way of saying that 3d model reminds me of some Fallout pipe rifle contraption :)

This artwork is cool stuff, thanks for posting them.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The phrase "down-on-its-luck bookstore" in that article suddenly made me think that Bernard Black from Black Books would be a fantastic character for the Disco Elysium setting.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Saw there was suddenly a lot of new posts in this thread, thought maybe some news had come up, but nope it was just a bunch of people gushing over Kim.

This is of course perfectly good and right and proper, because Kim is the loving GOAT.

TACD posted:

this rules, then I went and listened to the tracks they've done for other games and they all suck, so now I don't know if I'm being blinded by bias

I'm not a huge fan of his stuff overall but he's got a handful of songs I really like. This one's one of his very best though, I agree on that. And it probably is partly due to bias for the source material, yes.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Seriously, Joyce's "reality lowdown" is the coolest god drat exposition dump in any video game I've ever played.

Then again a whole lot about this game is the coolest I've ever played.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm a bit disappointed they didn't slip a "High concept" somewhere in that listing

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Tylana posted:

EDIT : Note though, that some thoughts, once internalized, do internalize as 'Wait, this is all bullshit.' but some also don't.

Namely with Measurehead's "Racism thought", you can absolutely internalize it and then go tell him like "Yeah I thought about it, and came to the conclusion that it's total bullshit".

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
What a weird duo of games to bundle together:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/23667/Disco_Elysium__The_Final_Cut__Control_Ultimate_Edition_Bundle/

But it got me thinking: The Horrific Necktie as an Object of Power... :hmmyes:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

https://twitter.com/YassifiedTito/status/1479632483733934087

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 8, 2022

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

VROOM VROOM posted:

it's horrific beautiful

I don't wear ties, but now I sincerely want to buy the Horrific one AND a ceiling fan, purely for the purpose of just keeping the tie on the fan perpetually as a symbol of my sad, self destructive existence a decorative element.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

christmas boots posted:

*nods* Darkness rides.

It does, doesn't it?

Memes:
https://twitter.com/YaGrandmaPeach/status/1448968543257595906

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I thought the fast travel is really nice and saves a ton of time not having to shuffle back and forth between the two halves of the map. Sure, I had to walk to one of the spots but it was still a lot less effort than having to hoof it all the way.

Unrelated, but holy poo poo lmao

https://twitter.com/corgihell/status/1492363716628652039

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

midnight lasagna posted:

Mr. Bezos is helping me fund my show.

Thread title pls

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Holy lmfao @ the second one

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
https://twitter.com/Sodakick/status/1548010159833640962

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I choose to believe it's the ghost of Kras Mazov

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
A strange grey nothingness that people traverse in some kind of blimp-copters, at the very real risk of getting forever lost or losing their minds into a haze of terminal nostalgy... You know, just like we do on Earth!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well, here's another article that IMO raises some pretty good points for why it might well not be some newfangled space sci fi thing.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-creator-of-disco-elysium-is-looking-for-artists-with-a-love-of-sci-fi-and-space/

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Cuno's from fuckin' NIGHT CITY, pig

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've been thinking about a fourth playthrough, and build wise I have already decided I will be only having 1 in Motorics. The rest is still in the air.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The book on Encyclopedia's head being just one book in a sea of books :discourse:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I am not loving okay with any of this

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
And then they restricted replies to the tweet right after the first person pointed out how incredibly wrong they were. Jesus loving christ, these people.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Pattonesque posted:

Kurvitz join BioWare and write the greatest Mass Effect ever

Actually the three need to join Obsidian and wrangle them into making Pillars of Eternity 3 and then write most of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

the escape goat posted:

He's asked a couple times if he's missed anything fun and I've just had to poker face it and go "eh, it's not the kind of game you ever get 100% on" while internally wailing in dismay at how he's missed out on absurd poo poo like hiding the body in the bear fridge then stealing the boots in the middle of the night deal.

I've played the game three times and I have never stolen the boots. :shrug: I don't think you should sweat over individual things like that.