Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Kobal2 posted:

Yup.
Succeed a Perception check to find the secret door to Cuno's shed in the hanged man yard (if you fail at first, you can talk to him about it for a retry with a bonus without having to spend a point in Perception), then make the Savoir-Faire jump from the roof of the shed to the raincoat. Be advised however that if and when you do that, the only way back *out* of the harbour is by talking to Evrart which is likely to damage you quite a bit, so if you're running a low PSY/PHY build you should probably stock up on healing poo poo at Frittte before you do it.

It's also possible Evrart leaves his office late in the day which would softlock you (don't know for sure)

For the last one: no, Evrart is physically incapable of leaving his office: he brings this one up at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
One of the things about Evrart discussion from a couple pages back I've noticed is: a lot of people seem to have missed the conclusion to his story, where it becomes clear that he didn't actually want a war and that was posturing made to intimidate wild pines into giving up without a fight. Even the drug trade stuff is more complicated than it seems, because he deliberately played it up so that you would share it and the trade itself he's running seems to be aimed at undercutting an existing and horribly murderous network in greater revachol. Which is part of why Ruby thinks you've been sent by the drug kingpin in Jamrock.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
You know, I do hope we get to see Jamrock in it's entirety some day. But that might be a tall order, it is big:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/discoelysium_gamepedia_en/images/7/70/Revachol_-_Jamrock_District.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20191025213735

The entire gameworld of DE is right there, at the top and you can even get a good scale of it: that island there is the one in the bay, for instance.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Jon Irenicus posted:

the I'm kinda sad that the MOT skills get a little left behind when there are breakout stars amongst the other three. I would have liked something like Savoir Faire or Hand-Eye Coordination chiming in more with a bit more oomph

To be fair, Savour Faire's interjections and ideas may be rare, but no one else tells you to teleport.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Yeah if you successfully use the expression on her, she tells you that that's just the aftereffects of the booze and drugs making you horny, although a straight-up legendary encyclopaedia check tells you that this is actually the opposite of the truth and you can ask her about all the horrible things you were yelling last night.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

EorayMel posted:

Isn't legendary 14 or more (base stat of 8 for passives), and doesn't she leave once you go downstairs and meet Kim? How do you get that legitimately? Even six INT with the signature point in encyclopedia only gives you 7, and I don't think there's enough EXP you can get before she leaves to squeeze in that extra point

I don't think it was actually legendary, but it was really high for a fairly elementary fact. Although given that it's her, maybe that's not unwarranted.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The thing about the pale overtaking the world is that though it seems inevitable, it isn't, really. The night club can hold back the entryway in the church. The situation is that the pale will swallow everything, unless... unless what? It isn't clear, although given some of the implications in the game, it may very well be human solidarity and renewal that pushes it back. Harry's reaction to learning of the pale and it's expansion can be to proclaim that only his ideology being completely and immediately adopted can save the world. He may actually be right about this, although incidentally this makes the moralintern, the bearers of the status quo, the greatest enemies of humankind. The kingdom of conscience, as the thought tells you, is already here and it has failed to unify humanity. Not that the super-individualist ultraliberalism and the reactionary, insular fascism have any hopes there either. As the game says, communism may be impossible, but it's still worth building.

Also some maybe-info on the book, big spoilers if true: One of the things I've found out about the book by the way, although I'm not sure 100% of it's veracity, is that it takes place 20 years after DE and does end with Revachol getting nuked and the pale eating everything. But it's fairly clear that this is not an inevitable outcome: for one thing, the city tells Harry that the bomb can be stopped by him.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 2, 2021

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

pablo gbscobar posted:

This is a good post but that last paragraph should be its own separate spoiler, I don't want to know details about the book!

Edited the post, sorry.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Akratic Method posted:

I just finished my first run of the game today. I really enjoyed it and I’m glad SA brought it to my attention! I have a question about replayability though: at the end, when you ask “who am I?” is the answer always the same? It drew a link between my game actions and the answer, so I’m wondering whether that’s after the fact justifying or whether the answer is actually determined by how I played, and I can go back and try to get different answers. Or is the replay value just in passing obstacles with different skillsets and seeing new and different text and details?

As above, it mostly remains the same, that being said there are differences political alignment and copotype are always things you had before the blackout and affect what you used to scream at people, I remember at least.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Wait, so what happens if you were say, a sorrycop or a boringcop with no other copotypes? And are you able to avoid having a political alignment? I'dbe interestedto know what kinds of things Harry had screamed at people, in those cases. Aside from apologies I guess, if he's a sorrycop :D

Well I don't know about political alignment, but with sorry cop you scream about how you're such a worthless fuckup and with boring cop you kept yelling that you were just so boring that you should kill yourself.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
They should have added a meltdown cop thought.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Been writing some new songs with my buddy for the first time in a few years. Turns out the secret to easy lyric writing is to just lift quotes from your favourite video game where they've already been written by someone more talented.

Anyway stay tuned for our forthcoming EP "ice cop hat gently caress show"

You might wanna be careful with that, several bits of disco elysium straight up are just manic street preachers lyrics.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Savour Faire is interesting because while inland empire and shivers may ask you to attempt things that are not really possible, they can actually manage to do.. something. Even if it's not real. Savour Faire on the other hand actively tells you to do physically impossible feats that you cannot possibly perform and then blatantly lies to you that you did them.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Hand-eye coordination is used the least by far, but when you need it, man do you need it.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Claire's whole personalist streak is one of the things the game leaves genuinely open-ended if you pursue it right to the finish. He's definitely a hardcore communist, no doubt about that, but how much does he actually care for personal power? The game deliberately goes back and forth on that to confuse the issue.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Tagaziel posted:

I kinda want to see what happens to Revachol after it gets nuked.

Also, anyone else using Fayde religiously?

It's my understanding that nothing happens. The pale rushes in and the world is ended, there is no more.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Half-Light but with Goofy's voice. Donald Duck as Electrochemistry.

Scrooge Mcduck is Savour Faire

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

I think it's strange that "communism drives back the pale" is almost as far down as the stuff about the moralists stealing technology from the pale that appears in like, concept art and the book when it's made fairly clear by the game that unifying ideology can do that or at least arrest the development of the pale. (Moralism has no real beliefs to do this, Ultraliberalism is worthlessly vapid and fascism... well, fascism also has no real beliefs)

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The beauty of fascism is that it can have whatever strong beliefs you like so long as those beliefs are personal psychosexual hangups that make other people back away from you in public.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
On that note, I'm inclined to see the book as what would happen if the events of Disco Elysium did not occur. Or at least played out in the worst possible way.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Today I discovered that despite me asking after it as a joke, the legendary meltdown cop copotype was, in fact, a thing. You can find remnants of it in the games code: apparently composure was the associated skill.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Samovar posted:

Any associated lore to go with it?

It would, apparently, make your breakdowns so, so much worse. Including one with the girl on the ice where your espirit de corps would chime in to note that people literally miles away are able to hear your breakdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Mind you, the stuff in that stickers is by admission not really canon, and part of disco elysium is that the future, no matter how bleak it may seem in the moment, is not set in stone.