Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Rappaport posted:

That was great fun :colbert:

I know! :haw: Did that come across as a negative comment? Because I loved that episode and Cragen with that cute little basketball monkey.

quote:

Yeah, Benson is very hands-on. Maybe their focus groups felt it was bad if Olivia was put behind a desk? (I am assuming these shows are focus-grouped) Rollins and Carisi are familiar faces, sure, I just meant around seasons 3-10 the show had a large, sometimes rotating cast of "main" cops and other folks like Huang and the zany science people. It's pretty barren now, but I feel like the show is more focused on a few characters for drama reasons too. Early seasons the biggest character plotline was what, Stabler's family woes and some Olivia stuff?

1) I want to meet those focus groups. I just want to talk. :stare:
2) If these focus groups preferred Rollins/Carisi to more detectives, I REALLY want to talk. :catstare:

SVU can't (and probably shouldn't, in all fairness) cater to me forever, I get it. At least it's still fun to hate-watch. As far as my early season opinions go, my knowledge of single digit seasons is drat near nonexistent -- maybe Elliot's family drama seems more tolerable because of the episodes I've seen, I've only seen them once or twice.

edit: gently caress, what a terrible snipe

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Vanilla revival has been renewed for a 22nd season, and Organized Crime has been renewed for its third season. (SVU's 24th season was ordered back in 2020, so its return was already guaranteed.) No word on potential cast changes for Vanilla yet; notably, Anthony Anderson and Sam Waterston only signed one-year deals when they agreed to return.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm thinking that they're very worried how bad it would look if they prosecuted someone who wasn't guilty so everyone had to have an affirmative defense so that there's no doubt.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh my God she didn't...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh my God she didn't...

Oh my loving God she did. Lol lmao.
the ada ran oxy for a witness to get him high to testify

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Has there been an episode that hasn't been ripped from the headlines during this season of Vanilla? As I recall the season opened with a Bill Cosby thing, them they did Theranos, then Gabby Petito, then Britney Spears, tonight was the Sackler family, and I can't remember the other two episodes that have aired so far.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
What was up with all the "whaaaattt? but a PRIEST couldn't have done it! :aaa:" chat on SVU? I mean, it's one thing when the victims say that poo poo (although it would make them remarkably sheltered), but when actual SVU detectives do, it's just weird. Also, the scene where the rapist practically shouts at the top of his lungs into his mother's tombstone about how great it is to rape people without suffering any consequences was the dumbest ending imaginable.

On OC, Donnelly leaving Stabler in charge of the Brotherhood was pretty hilarious. :haw: I can't wait to see how that turns out, because it looks like Stabler is basically out of the firing pan and into the fire.

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh my loving God she did. Lol lmao.
the ada ran oxy for a witness to get him high to testify

This almost made me regret ceasing to watch it. :lol:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SVU was just all over the place, again. Not only are they interviewing their friends/acquaintances left and right, Olivia going to confront one, alone, at night, to boot*, but DA Carisi is doing detective work, because ??? Stay in your lane, Sonny! And yeah, the ending was stupid even for SVU.

*At least Carisi told her off about it!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Timby posted:

Has there been an episode that hasn't been ripped from the headlines during this season of Vanilla? As I recall the season opened with a Bill Cosby thing, them they did Theranos, then Gabby Petito, then Britney Spears, tonight was the Sackler family, and I can't remember the other two episodes that have aired so far.

Musk last week.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I mostly really didn't like the swerve in topic in the Law and Order this week, but I did like the addition to "Hugh Price the hypocrite."

e: thinking on it a bit more, I do kinda like how the story brought us from the poor person pretending to be rich to the rich people being brought down.

Timby posted:

There was the 'toxic masculinity' episode, which I guess kinda straddles the 'headlines' line. Starts with the politically correct teacher everyone hated, ended with the father being convicted for telling his son to Be A Man.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Whenever Benson is not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, "Where's Benson?"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Man, Sundance just showed the season five episode Competence -- the one where Van Buren shoots the kid -- and woof that did not age well at all on every level.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Hand Knit posted:

There was the 'toxic masculinity' episode, which I guess kinda straddles the 'headlines' line. Starts with the politically correct teacher everyone hated, ended with the father being convicted for telling his son to Be A Man.

Based on the Ethan Crumbley case.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Well then.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Me, while watching OC this entire season: why the gently caress does Stabler's apartment have half finished walls everywhere?

Me, while watching this week's episode of OC: Ah, yes

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
So uuuh, I just found out that apparently Anthony Anderson has had multiple sexual assault allegations against him??
And that he said this in response to it on a radio show???

quote:

Anderson described the accuser as “somebody just out to get a fast buck.” “As celebrities, we’re targets with things like that,” Anderson continued. “Everybody has a speed bump in life, and that was mine.”

The conversation then turned to hypothetical retribution for this supposed false allegation. When his interviewer began to joke about a time before they were in the public eye, when they could “slap the bitch and get away with it,” Anderson laughed, “Back then we could’ve put her in the trunk with some plastic and took her for a little ride.” The actor continued, “You can’t even call nobody a bitch no more, it’s a lawsuit,” appearing to agree with his interviewer’s nostalgia for those good old days.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Wait until you hear about Ice-T's previous career.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Former Human posted:

Wait until you hear about Ice-T's previous career.
Yeah, I didn't just find out about that :shrug:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Okay I finally caught up with everything except for OC because I'm kind of bored with it at the moment but those last two episodes of L&O were loving ridiculous and i enjoyed them. My favorite kind of L&O episode are the ones where you're like "ah it's this" at first and then it veers off into loving bonkers territory like the one week before last where it seemed to be regular tech fuckery at first and ended up being loving havana syndrome

Also I still can't get over Maroun getting oxy for the witness so he could testify. I was thinking that there was going to be a case that came up that fucks up Price so much that he explodes and while he didn't get into explodey territory this time it looks like he barely kept it together so that's going to be interesting.

aaaa finales coming up this week! especially looking forward to the SVU one... BARBA!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sarcopenia posted:

So uuuh, I just found out that apparently Anthony Anderson has had multiple sexual assault allegations against him??
And that he said this in response to it on a radio show???

Anderson was only signed for season 21 (as is Waterston). If this gets some traction, it's not inconceivable he isn't asked to return.

Sirotan posted:

Me, while watching OC this entire season: why the gently caress does Stabler's apartment have half finished walls everywhere?

Me, while watching this week's episode of OC: Ah, yes

His apartment set is one of the stranger things I've ever seen in a TV show. It's like it's trying to scream, "Yes, this is on a soundset."

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

There have been allegations against Anderson since 2004 and it hasn't derailed his career. If this were to get any traction it would have happened by now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Former Human posted:

There have been allegations against Anderson since 2004 and it hasn't derailed his career. If this were to get any traction it would have happened by now.

Apparently Chris Noth was an open secret at NYU frosh week for years and it took until And Just Like That... for it to finally go anywhere. This stuff sometimes takes awhile to get to the surface, but it gets there in the end.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Timby posted:

Anderson was only signed for season 21 (as is Waterston). If this gets some traction, it's not inconceivable he isn't asked to return.
I sure hope so. :(
Sexual assault aside, I don't really dig him on the show anyway. He has this weird air of comedy around him that makes me ready for the cameras to draw back as an announcer proclaims what day of the week it is. It does not help that he is paired with Jeffrey Donovan. That man is so hammy. His acting is very "actor playing an actor". Which I guess worked for Burn Notice where that is basically what he is doing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I hate Rollins/Carisi so much.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

A big trial over whether the cop is racist is exactly the sort of stupid I should've expected from the Law and Order resurrection.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

I hate Rollins/Carisi so much.

Sonny was a real jerk this time around, as a... Contrast to Barba? I don't really get it, but the whole Olivia dramarama-plotline is really wearing me out in general. Also, this was the season finale, right? What a dumb episode to end with, it didn't even have a twist!

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

SVU: Lmao at multiple characters telling Benson to figure her poo poo out already, they must be as sick of it as we are. Also Barba is right about Stabler, he’s a bully and he loving sucks and it’s nice to have at least one character who acknowledges that. Sure, Benson and Stabler have known each other for a long-rear end time and obviously Stabler has had a bunch of traumatic poo poo happen to him recently but that relationship is not a healthy one from what I can see. Even if he did have her back at one time their interactions now just seem to cause Benson more anguish than anything else so idk.

And did I misunderstand things or was that a love confession from Barba at the end?!

OC: Donnelly stepping backwards into the path of what looked like a slowly-moving train looked so loving stupid that it made me burst out laughing. NICE DEATH, LOSER

I feel so bad for Bell :(

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

HOLY gently caress posted:

And did I misunderstand things or was that a love confession from Barba at the end?!

That's how I took it, at least.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OC: Donnelly stepping backwards into the path of what looked like a slowly-moving train looked so loving stupid that it made me burst out laughing. NICE DEATH, LOSER

That was so incredibly stupid. I mean, OC in general is so incredibly stupid, but that train was moving at about four miles an hour.

Ultimately, this whole Donnelly / Brotherhood thing just felt like another stupendous waste of time.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
One thing that I forgot to mention in my previous post is that I laugh-groaned at the fact that the first word in that SVU episode was "Noah".

SVU: Lmao at multiple characters telling Benson to figure her poo poo out already, they must be as sick of it as we are. Also Barba is right about Stabler, he’s a bully and he loving sucks and it’s nice to have at least one character who acknowledges that. Sure, Benson and Stabler have known each other for a long-rear end time and obviously Stabler has had a bunch of traumatic poo poo happen to him recently but that relationship is not a healthy one from what I can see. Even if he did have her back at one time their interactions now just seem to cause Benson more anguish than anything else so idk.

How is Stabler a bully? I mean, he's definitely, shall we say, rough around the edges, but I don't remember him ever treating Liv poorly.

quote:

To me, it seemed more like they hooked up and he caught feelings, Cassidy-style. :shrug:

quote:

That conductor honked once and just kept it moving. Didn't even TRY to stop. :v:

quote:

I feel so bad for Bell :(

Me too. :smith:

edit:

Timby posted:

Ultimately, this whole Donnelly / Brotherhood thing just felt like another stupendous waste of time.

It seemed very...copagandic, for lack of a better term, to have Stabler & his people as "the good ones" in direct opposition to an established corrupt bloc. Denis Leary's acting saved that whole arc, imho. Donnelly was a complete loving moron though. He reminded me of Reggie from the Albanian mafia or whatever it was.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 20, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Donnelly was a complete loving moron though. He reminded me of Reggie from the Albanian mafia or whatever it was.

That's one of the biggest issues with OC, honestly: All of the characters, even Stabler, inevitably begin acting like complete loving morons. If they aren't being complete loving morons, then they're just being ciphers with no personality whatsoever, ping-ponging from scene to scene just to accomplish whatever the plot needs (no matter how much or how little sense it makes; Preston Webb, I'm looking at you).

Ultimately, the people running and writing OC don't have experience writing serialized television, and it very badly shows. The pacing of this season was all over the goddamn place, and I'm not sure I agree with the decision to break the season up into three "pods" (Albanian sex traffickers, Richard Wheatley 2: Electric Wheatleyoo, The Brotherhood).

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

How is Stabler a bully? I mean, he's definitely, shall we say, rough around the edges, but I don't remember him ever treating Liv poorly.

Not a bully towards her, more in general. Throwing around people during interrogations, etc. Not great even if it's not directed towards her. And then there's emotional fuckery like the stuff with the letter and so on and also loving off for a decade without saying bye and so on. I don't think he's necessarily treating her poorly on purpose but it's still making her totally miserable and it's like he's stringing her along? Obviously not compatible for a romantic relationship (or even friendship sometimes maybe). Anyway this is putting aside the fact that them getting together would be boring as hell and awful as we've already discussed and I know nobody else here thinks they would be good together either. So yeah, probably not intentional poor treatment but still damaging and a bully to others.

Unrelated to above: I miss the Albanians :(

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

I skipped most of the Organized Crime season, so going from Albanian BBQ to Dark Knight Stabler handcuffing crooked cops to fences was a bit of a whiplash.

Also, Barba for new DA (if necessary), gently caress it I demand chaos.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Also, Barba for new DA (if necessary), gently caress it I demand chaos.

screw it, I'm down for the chaos option too even though i don't know how or why it would happen, burn everything :siren: :doink: :siren:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bring back Barba full time as Benson's love interest imho because he's so much better than Stabler. I thought for sure by the end of the season(s) they'd have Stabler and Benson at least kiss or something, instead they are a going to just drag their relationship out forever.

OC is an incredibly stupid show, I honestly would not miss it if it were cancelled. It was at least fun for a minute in season 1 with Dylan McDermott chewing scenery but this season was a loving mess. I know the show runner got fired but I'm not holding my breath it gets any better.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

screw it, I'm down for the chaos option too even though i don't know how or why it would happen, burn everything :siren: :doink: :siren:

It'd be hard to bring Barba back as the New York County District Attorney considering he resigned in disgrace a few years ago. Esparza also says he feels that he's said everything he has to say with the character and is looking forward to getting back to the stage full-time.

Sirotan posted:

OC is an incredibly stupid show, I honestly would not miss it if it were cancelled. It was at least fun for a minute in season 1 with Dylan McDermott chewing scenery but this season was a loving mess. I know the show runner got fired but I'm not holding my breath it gets any better.

OC is a goddamn mess, and a large part of it is that the characters have no actual characterization. They just bounce around from scene to scene, delivering dialogue or doing things just because the script demands it, consistency be damned. Even Stabler doesn't feel like Stabler half the drat time.

And Ilene Chaiken wasn't fired, she stepped down because she wasn't happy with the show's production schedule and preferred to focus on her overall development deal with Wolf Entertainment, which still has a few more years remaining on it.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Timby posted:

It'd be hard to bring Barba back as the New York County District Attorney considering he resigned in disgrace a few years ago. Esparza also says he feels that he's said everything he has to say with the character and is looking forward to getting back to the stage full-time.

Oh, I know, it's just amusing to think about much havoc it'd cause even if it is extremely unlikely. :buddy:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I realize it isn't on the same plane of existence as a DA, but SVU has had a plotline where Jeremy Irons played an alcoholic who thought he alcoholic'd so hard he had raped his own daughter, and after that episode said he actually hadn't, he "teamed up" with SVU in a second episode to help them out. As a psychiatrist. It's not like the show doesn't have a history of questionable come-backs :v:

Though if the actor doesn't want to, then what can you do :shrug:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Didn't watch the new L&O last Friday (though I did watch old episodes :v:) but watched the last two episodes a little while ago.

Last week's story revolving around the opioid epidemic was okay. When Maroun asked Price about why he was so worked up over the case, I figured he was going to say that he had some relative who had died because of oxy addiction. I don't know why they didn't just drop it then and there, instead of having the defense present it as grounds for a mistrial, only for the judge to allow him to continue, and it never gets brought up afterwards. Maroun getting the drugs for the nephew to testify also went nowhere, so :shrug:. What I'm curious/confused about is the manslaughter charge because unless they were referring to the girl that the nephew killed (which I don't think they are), I assume that's manslaughter for all potential victims, which I have to imagine would be a very long time.

This week's episode about the black woman shooting the white cop was....eh? In the beginning, when they were talking to the cop's girlfriend, a family member thought maybe the conflict was going to be that the cop was shot because someone was upset that they were dating, hence the episode title, 'Black and Blue', but obviously it didn't go down that route.

Rappaport posted:

Yeah, Benson is very hands-on. Maybe their focus groups felt it was bad if Olivia was put behind a desk?

A while ago, I was listening to an episode of the These Are Their Stories podcast, and something they commented on was how Benson is still hands-on with a lot of cases, despite being the captain of the squad now. They joked that even if the show ended up promoting her all the way to Chief of Detectives, she'd somehow still be tending to victims and questioning perps at a crime scene regardless.

Sarcopenia posted:

I sure hope so. :(
Sexual assault aside, I don't really dig him on the show anyway. He has this weird air of comedy around him that makes me ready for the cameras to draw back as an announcer proclaims what day of the week it is. It does not help that he is paired with Jeffrey Donovan. That man is so hammy. His acting is very "actor playing an actor". Which I guess worked for Burn Notice where that is basically what he is doing.

That was something that was bothering me with during the first of the two episodes I watched. In the beginning, when they were talking to the office manager for leads about the dead woman, they both seemed like they were being smarmy or suspicious when asking for info, which seemed very awkward. When they first talk to the addict nephew, they had the same sort of demeanor, and you hear the music building up like the scene is going to break out into a fight any minute, but then they just get info from his car's Bluetooth and it cuts back to the station. In retrospect, I think the intent was that they knew that he was on something, and that he wasn't on the up-and-up, but at the same time, he was being cooperative, so it was confusing. I dunno, it's just like there were some weird choices with direction, line delivery, and editing.

-

Also, wow, people really like Barba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Not a bully towards her, more in general. Throwing around people during interrogations, etc. Not great even if it's not directed towards her. And then there's emotional fuckery like the stuff with the letter and so on and also loving off for a decade without saying bye and so on. I don't think he's necessarily treating her poorly on purpose but it's still making her totally miserable and it's like he's stringing her along? Obviously not compatible for a romantic relationship (or even friendship sometimes maybe). Anyway this is putting aside the fact that them getting together would be boring as hell and awful as we've already discussed and I know nobody else here thinks they would be good together either. So yeah, probably not intentional poor treatment but still damaging and a bully to others.

That's fair. Bullying perps is pretty obvious, but unintentionally negative behavior never comes across to me as bullying, you know? It's bad, of course, but "bullying" implies intent to me.

quote:

I miss Flutura's ostentatious mob wife outfits :allears: