Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Anthony Anderson won't be back next season: https://deadline.com/2022/05/law-order-anthony-anderson-exit-season-22-kevin-bernard-1235034237/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Interesting news. When the show posted about renewal on Instagram, I remember he commented something that implied he'd be on board. I know that's not concrete evidence but still kind of surprising.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kingtheninja posted:

Interesting news. When the show posted about renewal on Instagram, I remember he commented something that implied he'd be on board. I know that's not concrete evidence but still kind of surprising.

It was made very clear when the show's revival was announced that he and Waterston only signed one-year deals. Waterston I presume is going year-to-year (he hasn't announced whether he's coming back for season 22) because of his age--the dude will be 82 this year--and he's probably trying to decide if he wants to do a 22-episode season that will include a cold New York winter. Anderson, I presume, just really prefers living and working in California.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Sam Waterston still works a lot. He did Law & Order, Grace and Frankie, and The Dropout all this year, plus environmental/political activism as well.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sam Waterston has agreed to return for season 22. Like with his season 21 deal, it's a one-year contract, so he seems to be taking things year by year.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I can basically say this run did enough for me to say "i would like more OG style L&O".

Definitely things they can refine and do better at; replace the LT, Anderson is gonna get replaced, and make them a bit less obviously politically hot topic'd imo. Not that the twists and such were bad, but some of the "ripped from the headlines" nature of the stories were too on the nose for me. You can deliver a message about lots of things without smearing it across my face like its a food fight. I don't have an issue with the larger messages or themes they chose to present, but I think they could be a bit more subtle or nuanced with the scripting.

I liked the ADA's and burn notice guy could be written to be less of an obvious socially antagonistic cop of the week for whatever topic is on hand. I liked the general structure of the episodes and their willingness to pivot to extensions of the original crime which feels like a McCoy special.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 8, 2022

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

detective burn notice is starting to grow on me a little, I’m curious to see who they’ll partner him up with next season and how they’re going to deal with all his bullshit

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I liked that they made him dopey and kinda dumb.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
The incumbent cop is always the liberal, right? Burn Notice's character whiplash gonna be weird next season

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I still think they're trying to gauge whether or not they can fit Jesse L. Martin into their budget.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Green and Burn Notice would be spicy.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Timby posted:

I still think they're trying to gauge whether or not they can fit Deep Fake Jerry Orbach into their budget.

FTFY

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Shame Farina died or we'd have the all-star bastard cop lineup

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Timby posted:

I still think they're trying to gauge whether or not they can fit Jesse L. Martin into their budget.

I would imagine that might also depend on if the pilot he's filming for NBC gets picked up or not.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

The answer is obvious

Tig Notaro

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheSwizzler posted:

The answer is obvious

Tig Notaro

Not Tig, but an enby would be an interesting way to get around the curse of only male detectives for Vanilla.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arivia posted:

Not Tig, but an enby would be an interesting way to get around the curse of only male detectives for Vanilla.

Oh, how quickly we forget Cassady.

For good reason. Season 17 is beyond terrible.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Timby posted:

character never stood a chance and was basically written to fail out of the gate

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheSwizzler posted:

character never stood a chance and was basically written to fail out of the gate

You're not wrong, but Milena Govich is also a terrible actress.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Timby posted:

No that’s why I’m saying it’s a curse. There’s no reason a female detective couldn’t work, it’s just a big hill to climb.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Timby posted:

You're not wrong, but Milena Govich is also a terrible actress.

a good character poorly acted and a bad character well acted were both better results than what we got

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Mehcad Brooks has joined Law & Order for season 22.

Details about his role are being kept under wraps, but considering there's just one cast member who left after last season... :magemage:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SilentChaz posted:

Mehcad Brooks has joined Law & Order for season 22.

Details about his role are being kept under wraps

The article literally says he's the new detective.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Timby posted:

The article literally says he's the new detective.

My mistake. :doh:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I hope he can use his metal arms from the Mortal Kombat reboot :dance:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Can't wait to see the strawman who gets to take the fall when they rip this headline:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/justice-dept-investigate-nypds-sex-crimes-unit-discriminatory-policing-rcna36183
To soon for for Benson to become Chief of D's?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Well, this is freaky.

quote:

The Law & Order: Organized Crime crew member killed during a location shoot Tuesday was a Queens resident named Johnny Pizarro, the New York Times reports.

Pizarro, a 31-year-old parking enforcement worker with the show, was killed while sitting in a car in the Greenpoint section of Brooklyn around 5:15 am on Tuesday, July 19. According to the New York Police Department, officers responded to a call and found that the man was unconscious and had received multiple gunshots to the head and neck. He was taken to NYC Health + Hospital/Woodhull, where he was pronounced dead.

NYPD, which released the victim’s name after his family was notified, is investigating the crime. Police added that a man wearing a black, hooded sweatshirt and dark pants was seen running from the area where the shooting took place. The man reportedly was short and thin. No arrests have been made.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
How long do you think dick wolf will wait to "ripped from the headlines" this story?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kingtheninja posted:

How long do you think dick wolf will wait to "ripped from the headlines" this story?

It’ll be episode 3 of SVU next season.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

Dick Wolf killing his own staff for story ideas.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Mooseontheloose posted:

Dick Wolf killing his own staff for story ideas.

have they ever gone meta, and had one of the shows investigating an incident on a cop show that mirrors the show?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

have they ever gone meta, and had one of the shows investigating an incident on a cop show that mirrors the show?

I don’t know if they’ve gone that level, but the episode Melting Pot from season 17 was inspired by the murder of actress Adrienne Shelly who had appeared in episode High & Low from season 10.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1551635728282550272

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I always liked him in L&O. He wasn't constantly angry like Greevy and he played off Cragen and Logan pretty well.

https://twitter.com/keatonkildebell/status/1551636487221006336?s=21&t=xzO0gyfK0bmaF84Vb58x2w

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 25, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I'm enjoying the revive, only big issue is the is the first few episodes all deal essentially with "culture war" stuff, it really seems like they're just screaming TOPICAL TOPICAL TOPICAL at the audience but with way less nuance than before

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FishBulbia posted:

I'm enjoying the revive, only big issue is the is the first few episodes all deal essentially with "culture war" stuff, it really seems like they're just screaming TOPICAL TOPICAL TOPICAL at the audience but with way less nuance than before

I don’t know how to tell you this but L&O has always been like that. Like mayyyybe they took it a little bit more chill for part of S1 but even then you had the subway shooting episode.

It’s obvious they’re grappling with how to present BLM/ACAB through S21, and I think they do okay with the season-long arc that goes on about it, but it’s always been the ripped from the headlines show.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Arivia posted:

I don’t know how to tell you this but L&O has always been like that. Like mayyyybe they took it a little bit more chill for part of S1 but even then you had the subway shooting episode.

I think it’s easier to forget this from the distance of history. The one that jumps to mind is the medication testing causing suicides one. That’s still relevant, but psychological meds coming onto the market is no longer a new and pressing issue

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Arivia posted:

It’s obvious they’re grappling with how to present BLM/ACAB through S21, and I think they do okay with the season-long arc that goes on about it, but it’s always been the ripped from the headlines show.

It has, but I think it feels way more From The News now that so many of the cases have moved from street-level crime to rich people business intrigue stuff. I think it's downstream of someone else's comment that the grimy, 80s New York of the early seasons doesn't really exist anymore. The show's been victimized by gentrification.

Oh no we're actually living in the Kelly SICKOS comic.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Hand Knit posted:

It has, but I think it feels way more From The News now that so many of the cases have moved from street-level crime to rich people business intrigue stuff. I think it's downstream of someone else's comment that the grimy, 80s New York of the early seasons doesn't really exist anymore. The show's been victimized by gentrification.

Oh no we're actually living in the Kelly SICKOS comic.

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Rick Gonzalez (Arrow) and Brent Antonello (Dynasty) are joining Law & Order: Organized Crime season 3 as NYPD detectives assigned to the organized crimes unit.