Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

So, I haven't watched a huge amount of Law & Order, but... am I off-base here, or does Jack McCoy strike anyone else as kind of bloodthirsty? I watched a couple of eighth season L&O episodes recently and McCoy just seems wildly aggressive in wanting to put anyone behind bars. Is there some character background I'm missing, or was this just a reflection of a broader push at the time to be "tough on crime"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

I just started season 9 and was reacquainted with Abby Carmichael

"no deals for anybody. let's hang 'em all" lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

I'm watching the episode True North, and McCoy and Carmichael are obsessed with getting to put someone to death, it feels like McCoy almost thinks it isn't even worth putting the defendant on trial if he can't go for the death penalty

Does Schiff give them a bonus for every execution or what?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

Timby posted:

With the exception of Carmichael and Serena Southerlyn, Law & Order characters' positions on the death penalty are wildly inconsistent, largely depending upon the writer. McCoy gets a wicked zeal for someone getting the needle whenever possible, despite him witnessing an execution and being horrified by it in Aftershock (season 6 finale).

Was there a writing staff or was it mostly outside writers selling to the show?