Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Kinda feel like hollands gonna get his bell rung in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

artism posted:

‘Kinda’?

Yeah, Kinda. This is MMA there are no absolutes.

artism posted:

But I guess we’ve got to watch Whittaker retire Gastelum

Why do you think whittaker is retiring gastelum? Kelvins not even 30. If he got his poo poo together with his nutrition he could be back in welterweight tomorrow.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I can't even remember cain coming back, thats how hard ngannou hit him.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'll watch TKZ fight anyone.

On Ngannou power, we usually see him land hooks or big punches anyway and the raw physics of the mans frame are whats at play here. He's throwing shots well, if not technically perfect and he is loving gargantuan. That means an awful lot. We very seldom see someone with that reach and that weight to back it up. This sort of thing is one of the reasons the skill ceiling at heavyweight is traditionally significantly lower than say, below 170.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

CommonShore posted:

I've typed up and deleted a version of this post like 3x because this is a really tough-to-analyse topic and I can't figure out how to say what I'm saying without it seeming like a hot take but :justpost:

It's hard to compare relative punching power between boxing and MMA because of the way blows land and because the context of the punches (gloves, range, guards, rules) is so much different in boxing than in MMA it's hard to watch the sports side by side.

If you watch really very hard punchers in boxing, the guys getting hit just react differently from the people being hit by the really very hard punchers in MMA. If you watch George Foreman or Joe Louis or other historically famous hard hitters' highlights there are the "god he's dead" finishes, but the power shows itself more in how guys react when the power puncher hits their guards. Foreman could clobber a guy right in the arms/gloves and he'd start to whither as if a normal heavyweight hit him clean. I can think of exactly one time that an elite heavyweight boxer traded punches with something losely resembling a top-tier MMA fighter: Ray Mercer took Tim Sylvia out with one punch. We don't have any other meaningful data points.

My suspicion is that Francis hits roughly as hard as a good all-around heavyweight puncher, but not as hard as the boxers who have a reputation for unusual power, just due to the nature of the sports and the necessities of training.

But I wouldn't be surprised if fighters like Derek Lewis, Frank Mir, Mark Hunt, or Fedor all hit within an order of magnitude of power as Francis when they plant and unload - they've all achieved the same kind of "god he's dead" KOs multiple times in their careers, even against fighters who have some reputation for durability. Francis isn't KOing guys through the guard (which we've seen in MMA with kicks, e.g. Machida vs Munoz) - pretty much all of his KOs (lets leave Cain out of this) involve him catching someone clean, so the thing is that Francis is somehow better at landing those punches.

That's my piece anyway. It's a half-formed thought and I may have failed to consider something.

It's something like this, he's another one of those massive critical chance fighters. Like the last one that put stipe away was one of those loopy hooks that put me in mind of nick diaz vs robbie lawler, caught him perfectly on the chin. Its the how and when of the shot landing that means as much if not more than whatever the readout on danas punch-o-meter says.

The shot in the first round rung stipes bell hard, and then the flurry after nearly finished the fight except stipes tough and his defense is solid. After he survived that I knew he was going out in round two. Looking at him recovering between the rounds he was visibly still shaken, rallied when he went back out and then met his doom. It was that first big shot though, and stipe looked like he'd never been hit that hard. He really does have some quirk to him that lets him land to incredible results.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

lol that the fight romero poo poo himself and carried on?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Zabit spotted.

https://twitter.com/TeamKhabib/status/1379114885028667396?s=20

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

He just needs to spend more points in cardio. He's already loaded with Dagestani Zen points.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Cyber Dog posted:

huge facial hair mistake

I think GSPs complete lack of style makes him the dynamic force we all know and love.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Foul Fowl posted:

mma has always needed a girl colby

This shits loving gross. gently caress rose.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Best rematch is poirier mcgregor? It sure was satisfying.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Well yeah, I keep forgetting THAT fight has a 2 in its title.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I think Poirier beats him again and its not even close.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Its nuts, consider poirier always had the option to wrassle, but he didn't even have to. He's so much more well rounded, he just got better and better. Another few paydays (He should fight the worlds largest WW, Nate Diaz.) and he can have a nice retirement.

McGregor on the other hand speedran becoming a has-been. Its remarkable. Another MMA first? I mean quitting for years and partying and raping people isn't going to make you a better fighter, though it does get you into plenty of fights. Giga-ringrust. Existential ring-rust. I do wish he'd disappear at this point.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

mewse posted:

Counterpoint Jon Jones

An absolutely devastating riposte. I've got nothing.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Conors gonna be horsing into the the coke up until the week of, remember hes supposed to be a fighter get a bit of a jog in, lose and then come up with excuses that would make any Brazilian champion weep.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

dana wearing an irish soccer jersey is so hosed up to me.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Remember when mario yamasaki gave him the opportunity to display his warrior spirit with TBB sitting on his chest.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

extremely funny branding exercise

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NagnbRHdh-0

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

TheKingslayer posted:

It's like watching 90s heavyweight boxing again. Nearly every hit was knocking sweat off dudes like that.

I was trying to remember where I'd seen that happen before and yes, it was my childhood.

Great loving card. Shame to see Zhang put away without much back and forth, but it was pretty loving impressive. Looking forward to Roses international MMA initiative.

Didn't expect to see that in the weidman fight. I think its the second part of a curse. We'll see if Uriah smashes his shinbone on someone in the twilight of his career. Anderson Silva may have insulted a witch, or possibly Dana did. More likely that dana and the ufc got hexed though. Wanna see that fuckin x ray.

Poor old jimmy crute huh. loving critical hit. His leg was so loving jacked. Why does something like that not happen to habitual kick checkers, like hunto and the gang? Has the calf only really become fair game recently or is it taking advantage of angles where a check is more difficult in the first place? I think Smith got away with that one, I thought I saw Crute catching him in round 2 maybe? Impressive performance.

I didn't think Shevchenko was going to handle Andrade quite as easily, but shes big at that weight and just eminently competent. Impressive in its lopsidedness. Shes frustratingly far ahead of the competition at 125 and I doubt she'll ever agree to fight amanda again at 135 unless it really is like, her last hurrah before retirement. What to do with womens 125?

Masvidal got what was coming to him it was spectacular. Usmans extremely impressive at 170. I wonder what he'd be like at 185? He's six foot so he's not immediately dwarfed by most guys. He should fight weidman in 5 years at 185.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

mewse posted:

I don't think anyone who likes weidman wants to see usman vs weidman in 5 years

I don't understand houw anyone could like Weidman, hes a charisma vacuum except for the making GBS threads anecdotes I guess. I'm just not confident the guy will retire. Despite it being an entirely retire bitch moment.

kimbo305 posted:

It's placement. A proper check has your femur and knee pointed in the direction the shin is swinging in at. Gonna be shin to shin contact.
Even if you are checking toward their ankle, there's less chance the instep will wrap around and hit the muscle behind your shinbone.
That's what happened here, Smith's instep dug into the tendons and hamstring behind the knee.

:hai:

Eustace posted:

Usman himself is MAGA. He's the MAGA highlander, by defeating other conservative fighters he gains their powers

Explain yourself.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Mekchu posted:

per MMA Junkie

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/09/president-donald-trump-praises-jorge-masvidal-kamaru-usman-during-their-attendance-at-campaign-events

He's not ever really explicitly said he was an out and out Trump supporter and conceivably could have been obligated to do a publicity appearance, but it seems less likely since he wasn't scheduled to do anything around September of 2020.

If I had the opportunity to sit and look at trump up close I'd totally take it. I kinda just had the impression that he wouldn't be a trump guy by any means.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

blue footed boobie posted:

Surgery for what?

guessing its his butthole op

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I don't know what jiri looks like on the ground but I imagine a brutal wrestlefucking is in his future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The eternal sunshine of a slippery cell.