Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Junior Albini?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Nis posted:

tko (doctor stoppage) due to some kind of heart issues maybe

I think Dada 5000 also suffered kidney failure in the course of the fight.

Then Kimbo tests positive for nandrolone in Texas of all drat places and it becomes a no contest.

It was kind of the most Bellator fight of all time.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

reeg posted:

I think some people (me) still think of Bisping losing an eye as painful karmic retribution for ending Alan Belcher's career with an eye poke

Also the blatant foul against Jorge Rivera and spitting on Rivera's corner.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I had totally forgotten Rockhold and Weidman moving to 205 but their failures kind of make Santos and Adesanya look really impressive trying their hand at 205. Santos is on a slide but he did finish Jan.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Godamn. Burns just going up against a killer after a loss.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

https://twitter.com/DustinPoirier/status/1381388524163850243?s=19

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

mewse posted:

Sorry just started reading the thread again, what’s this responding to?

I never saw the Conor tweet but I'm guessing it was predicting an early finish against Dustin in the rematch.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Prelims
Flyweight Tracy Cortez (+250) vs Justine Kish (+231)
Justine Kish has had a rough UFC run. She was first known as the Russian kickboxer who blew out her knee on TUF when the division was launching. And then she became the lady who pooped herself in a loss to Felice Herrig. Now she’s coming off her first ever stoppage loss, RNC3 to Sabina Mazo, and is 1-3 in her last 4. She’s being offered up to Tracy Cortez, who is an 8-1 DWCS product with a 2-0 UFC record. The x-factor here is that Cortez seems to have flirted with Bantamweight, so who knows if she’ll be big or drained.

The odds on these two are a typo, right?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

blue footed boobie posted:

So did Klose actually fall over and hit his head? I only saw limited replays where you couldn’t really tell what happened.

No. His head just whipped back.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dana is a lot closer to Vince McMahon than he is other fight promoters. He seems to have a very narrow view of what a star is in MMA. You can't make someone a draw that won't work with you (Mighty Mouse) but they also seem to sit on their hands until it's a little too late with some people that are obviously dynamite fighters (Donald Cerrone, ignoring his various awful behaviors). But then Dana throws the machine behind a baffling choice like Sage Northcutt.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I wonder how just how hard Usman hit Masvidal for the sweat to visibly explode out off his head from all angles and distance like he's a sponge hitting a wall.

It's like watching 90s heavyweight boxing again. Nearly every hit was knocking sweat off dudes like that.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

It's placement. A proper check has your femur and knee pointed in the direction the shin is swinging in at. Gonna be shin to shin contact.
Even if you are checking toward their ankle, there's less chance the instep will wrap around and hit the muscle behind your shinbone.
That's what happened here, Smith's instep dug into the tendons and hamstring behind the knee.

What happened to Crute is like, the ideal thing my coach initially told us about leg kicks. It's really cool to see it just work like that.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Weidman seems to make extremely poor decisions as his gas tank drains and being more sapped from the weight cut certainly contributes. Which then leads directly to the spinning kick that got his brains beat out by Rockhold...

Then the matchmakers threw him to the wolves with Yoel and Gegard right after that both scrambled his dehydrated brain even more. So I guess we can say it's a perfect storm of the IV ban, awful beatdowns, and the UFC's unforgiving matchmaking. The guy really could have used a soft touch fight after Rockhold.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Izzy isn't ducking Whittaker but he knows its better to fight him quick after a 5 round fight that went the distance. That's not even shameful, he's just smart.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

If I have the timeline right Whittaker was asked after fighting Kelvin, Izzy gets the offer and says, "Yeah but we fight ASAP". So it puts Whittaker in the position to fight a guy that killed him with possible injuries along with having a short camp because of the pandemic.

Izzy either gets Vettori, who he has already beat or a diminished Whittaker. Being prize fighting, Izzy is very smart.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Yeah that was definitely a joke. I've got a friend who has bars for his spine and he showed me an xray where one had broken because of exercise :stonk:

You're telling me WWF lied and Lex Luger's titanium forearm didn't make him hit harder?

Also didn't Rogan believe the metal RDA had put on his jaw after the break made him harder to knock out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

chaleski posted:

So they never specified why he was pulled from the Cowboy fight and now he's cut? Interesting

https://news.yahoo.com/ufc-releases-diego-sanchez-as-dana-white-blasts-his-bats-nuts-coach-joshua-fabia-054815907.html

Yahoo Sports posted:

The UFC has been concerned for some time about the behavior of Sanchez’s coach, Joshua Fabia. Sanchez’s release, however, was facilitated because even though Sanchez passed his medicals for a planned May 8 fight versus Donald Cerrone, neither Fabia nor attorney Charles N. Lakins would confirm to the UFC that Sanchez was not suffering from either short-term or long-term medical issues.

Fabia asked a UFC medical coordinator for all of Sanchez’s medical records going back to "The Ultimate Fighter" in 2004. Several UFC employees told Yahoo Sports that they’d seen Fabia berate employees and so they contacted Hunter Campbell, the UFC’s chief business officer.

Campbell called Fabia and Sanchez and in the conversation, Fabia talked about short-term and long-term medical issues Sanchez may have experienced.

That was a red flag for Campbell, who knew that Sanchez had passed a medical examination, which included a brain scan. Campbell then wrote to Sanchez, expressing concerns about Fabia’s comments and asking Sanchez to verify he was OK.

UFC president Dana White told Yahoo Sports that the UFC could not put a fighter into the cage in good conscience if the fighter wouldn’t say he or she was healthy and fit to fight.

When Lakins responded to Campbell’s request for clarification of Sanchez’s health, Lakins said Sanchez could not respond because he’s not a neurologist and hadn’t seen one. Upon receipt of that response, Sanchez was formally cut in an email sent on April 27.