Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Digital Jedi posted:

Is Francis the hardest puncher in all of combat sports? Who is even close to him?

pound for pound it's gotta be melvin manhoef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Naoya Inoue is a monster puncher

inoue hits super hard and i don't follow boxing much but does he fight way above his natural weight like manhoef did? melvin knocked out hunt with a jab when he was going backwards.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Flaskraven posted:

I think he's too popular to get cut, unfortunately.

bellator would pick him up and let him crush cans for easy gifs if they did.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

mma has always needed a girl colby

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

BlindSite posted:

I too am mad at Rose for not liking totalitarian regimes that are currently committing genocide.

she seems like a big fan of the usa though?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Cyber Dog posted:

I would root for Zhang if she were vocally anti-USA and the imperialist capitalist state. As it is, I'm rooting for Rose because her past ten youtube videos are her earnestly spending 20 minutes reading bible passages aloud front of her webcam.

i'm still secretly rooting for rose because i like her style more than zhang's. and you can't really blame americans for being really loving dumb, i've seen what american education is like.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CommonShore posted:

That's a darn good fight, but it's not the best Dustin fight (#2 probably). It's also probably the best fight among all Max fights, but it's not Max's best fight (probably #3?)

Maybe the second-best rematch of all time though.

i love the fight but it had such a clear dynamic of these guys both have elite skills but poirier has a decisive physical advantage. it's kind of amazingly impressive from holloway that he was still able to come back in the fight and beat up poirier a bit even though it felt like someone with a ball peen hammer fighting someone with a sledgehammer.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
that is a horrible card with a good main event.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
maybe it's my overly pessimistic attitude about fighters i love and treasure but i don't think conor did so badly that he's got no chance. i can't help shake the feeling that conor's gonna do a lot better in the rematch however much i want poirier to annihilate him again.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

leftist heap posted:

I'm not sure why Conor is gonna suddenly make any advancements in his game when he clearly didn't for the rematch. Has he suddenly developed an ability to surround himself with and listen to good coaches?

he did really well in the diaz rematch (as in, had clearly worked on specific answers for the problems that nate posed in the first fight). whereas the second poirier fight might as well have been the first time they fought given how long ago the first fight was and how poirier has dramatically changed and improved since then.

poirier himself had to learn some hard lessons about how effective leg kicks are. jim miller pieced him up with them.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Snowman_McK posted:

Lightweight has a spectacular ability to have people who are on really impressive win streaks at one point get ignominiously crushed ten minutes later. I'm thinking of all the fighters we've seen on long winstreaks who then barely win in the UFC again. Guillard and Sotiropolous. Or guys who get dereailed and can never get it back, like Dunham or Barboza.

honestly khabib figured out what to do in a monster division like lw - as soon as people think you're the best, start fighting once a year, let all the contenders pummel each other and then by fighting the guy on top of that pile you've beaten a bunch of other people by association. without actually having to fight a bunch of lightweights, take a bunch of damage in training, and lose unexpectedly anyway because it's mma.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jerusalem posted:

So having only been exposed to Askren through his brief run in UFC, is he a performance artist who doesn't actually know how to fight and just portrays a character who is supposed to be a world class fighter, and this is all some Kaufmann-level genius act?

no he was an actual world class wrestler who decided to fight in mma and do absolutely nothing else except wrestle. it's like if someone challenged melvin manhoef to a grappling match lol

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jerusalem posted:

And then he accepted a BOXING match? :stare:

Still, if he got paid well then good for him!

yeah i think he just wanted the paycheck, he's never given a single poo poo about striking or any part of MMA that wasn't wrestling and i don't think that changed for this fight. his hip is also completely hosed. i think he knew exactly what was gonna happen but for 600k or however much getting punched by a journeyman isn't that bad.

compare to someone like gilbert burns who took to striking like a fish takes to water.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i hope andrade beats the poo poo out of valentina so all the women's belts are held by exciting action fighters.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
kamaru snoozeman means something different now

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

if he beats dc in a boxing match maybe ufc fighters can get finally get paid

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
colby's loss to usman has aged really well though, bizarrely. burns caught usman with hard punches early and then immediately lost the rest of the fight. we saw what happened to jorge. colby's style of punching in long combinations even if he got hit on the way in worked comparatively well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i could watch jiri take out the trash at light heavyweight all day but he does seem like the exact kind of fighter jon jones will look unbeatable against unless he's badly faded or too fat for light heavyweight but tries to fight there anyway.