Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

blue footed boobie posted:

Do most fighters have any sort of alternative mma related income coming in, like a position at their gym or something? It seems bizarre to me that anyone would go into MMA seeing as how it doesn’t seem to pay most fighters more than low level civilian gigs.

Most fighters have to coach/train as a necessity, it seems

Some do unrelated secondary jobs, like how Geoff Neal works at a restaurant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Mr. Nice! posted:

B-League fighter MMDMMMJ worked at a warehouse while he was UFC champion. He only stopped doing labor jobs because he makes money streaming as well, iirc.

Not quite

He quit his warehouse job in preparation for his bantamweight title fight against Cruz

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

artism posted:

Wait is Till out? Lol

E: god I hate him

gently caress that dude for having lovely, breakable bones

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

yeah that shovel hook was like out of a nightmare

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Volk and Ortega are gonna be the new TUF coaches

Also, Burns vs Thompson is on deck for UFC 264

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

reeg posted:

I think some people (me) still think of Bisping losing an eye as painful karmic retribution for ending Alan Belcher's career with an eye poke

strong agree

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

eternal blessings to dunc

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

https://streamable.com/5chuti

Also, I remember when Kennedy said he hated Leslie Nielsen for being a hypocrite about guns, only to then realize he meant Liam Neeson.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Volkanovski's covid journey features:

- bloody sputum
- heart rate dropping to 35bpm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X49uLlzhm5M

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

kay hansen

e: i only know because a different account that posted those pics tagged her and aljo and ortega

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

my god.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

venum could be forgiven for finding any active fighter to model the clothes due to a pandemic, but its not like they just rolled up to ATT and grabbed the first 3 people they found

aljo is strong island, ortega is cali, and kay hansen's training location is unknowable by all

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Jimothy Miller's bonus resume

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alLcL1Evsy0

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

GDT here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3964680

talk fights, new venums, other things

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

anyway uh, shout outs to the ATL crew, had some good memories at this one with yall

https://twitter.com/SweetPmemories/status/1381879548833374208

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Veskit posted:

We gunna watch Jake Paul get wrecked by Askren this weekend or what*?

*a joke

unfortunately my 2nd covid shot isn't until tomorrow, so I'm out of safe range. But I would definitely go just to see Mt. Westmore

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

I know I'm willfully ignoring conor's dumbass fanbase, but for everyone else - literally how does conor even come back from a 2nd stoppage loss to dustin and talk any poo poo at all since his only win since obama was president was cowboy cerone

Conor tweeted something this week that Dustin was a little bitch for shelling up and throwing low kicks, so it doesn't matter how Conor could get stopped, whatever method employed will be dishonorable and only used by cowards and charlatans.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

oh also Glover vs Jan is in the works for UFC 266

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I would assume there's a bit of a muscle memory issue regarding throwing a calf kick versus a normal low kick aimed above the knee.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

p sure i've seen highlights of khabib's early days and he is just thumping guys with headbutts while on top

i imagine he would turn conor's head to a mush, maybe a jelly, if the rulesets were expanded

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

chaleski posted:

Klose has an undisclosed injury, the fights off. drat this card got even worse

Apparently Klose got hurt due to Stephens violently shoving him at the weigh in face offs

so, yknow, lol

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Mean Bean Machine posted:

lol people saying stephens should be cut for shoving a guy. fighters have been shoving each other at weigh-ins since weigh ins were a thing, was he supposed to know that he was going to hurt the guy? it was a freak accident. its like saying the production guy that laid down the cable that tony ferguson tripped on and got hurt should be fired. get a grip

this is a stupid argument.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Askren trains with CM Punk. I'm sure Ben picked up a thing or two about selling

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Recap for those that didn't watch: Usman is training hard, Rose is training hard, doing extended ice baths, getting pedicures done. Weili also exists.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

wheres mr nice and dangersim

on this day SEVEN dang years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLAHh8o-3Us

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I assume "some back and forth" amounts to UFC hoping Klose would just gently caress off, and him refusing to do so

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1384906964006752257

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Brut posted:

Yeah but that's just heavyweight KO stuff, it's why the title defense record is 3 or something, This dude lost by decision.

It is insane that over 15 minutes, Browne didn't triple spin and flop right into a strong jab that knocked him out

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Jessica Andrade posted:

The day I retire, I want other women to look at me and say: “Man, Jessica was awesome, funny and a lesbian. She threw so many punches and brought us lots of joy”.

Read the whole thing, it is p good.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Hollandia posted:

Fight purses as trade secrets sounds like bs but who knows really. They might just be throwing it out there until someone cares enough to try to challenge it. :capitalism:

I'm pretty sure part of the anti-trust case testimony regarding not disclosing fighter pay is that doing so keeps fighters safe from being potential kidnapping/extortion victims

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

man, conor's lookin rough!

https://twitter.com/MMABrad48/status/1385640535340294147

e: sorry, connor

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

conor invented Throw Punch and all u bitches need to stop copying his style

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

What the gently caress could this possibly mean

With the current UFC patch, the "gassed" status effect confers the following debuffs

-5% strike speed
-10% strike power
-5% grapple transition speed

EPO reduces these debuffs by 1.5X

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Brut posted:

Hi I'm looking at the Russian "article" and it makes no loving sense to me, it's like barely two paragraphs and as noted above seems to contradict itself, I suspect this is lost in translation somewhere.

This is also like the Russian equivalent of Reuters which I'd take their word more seriously for big world news but I wouldn't expect them to know anything about MMA or UFC.

edit: lmao, the tag on the article says "MMA" but if you click it the URL is still /tag/ufc, that's probably all you need to know.

Also from what I understand Zabit lives and trains in New Jersey on what I must assume is a work visa, and I have no idea how he'd stay in the country if he retired from MMA.

He could teach small children the secrets of Dagestani Wushu

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Remember when Jeremy Stephens shoved Drakkar Klose at weigh-ins and Dana White blamed Sean Shelby for not intervening quickly enough in the presence of a known savage?

Known nincompoop, Ion Cutelaba, violently grabbed Dustin Jacoby at the weigh-ins and Dana White just kinda stood there and did nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

who is ready for buttcheeks

https://twitter.com/giga_chikadze/status/1389665359490293763?s=19