Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

The fattest heavyweight fight outside the UFC was kimbo/dada 3000.

Surely this is one of the streetbeefs fights where someone taps to exhaustion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

blue footed boobie posted:

Also I googled Dada and he apparently started a bare knuckle fighting promotion where the fighters fight in this, which is barely big enough for one man to fully extend his arms.

Lol, I did the same and read about that. More importantly I discovered that streetbeefs unfortunately doesn't have a wikipedia page

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Noted government official of the Peoples Republic of China Zhang Weili vs Rose Namajunas for the UFC title.

It's hard for some people to separate "citizen of country" from "supporter of the policies of the government of country". I'm guessing the fact zhang weili has brought out the chinese flag after fights (iirc?) doesn't help make that distinction.

This is not an endorsement either way.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

artism posted:

wild that Weill, unlike every other fighter, drapes herself in her flag after fights. completely unprecedented and suspect, you’re right

I'm not against her doing it you idiot.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

beep by grandpa posted:

dustin rules, i hope to see him crush conor again and then consume him & take his powers like kirby

I'm not sure a coked up rage machine is something he wants to become

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

nordichammer posted:

I agree that Jeremy shouldn't get special punishment for doing something that is actively publicized. Whether they should start punishing that is a different conversation, but Jeremy didn't do anything out of line.

Maybe it shouldn't be normalized that fighters can assault each other the day before they legally do it in a cage for money because look, consequences

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Conor situation is sort of like the UFC's Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid moment .

At the time (2009), €94 million for a player transfer was unheard of and it broke the glass ceiling on transfer costs. Now it's only the 11th most expensive transfer and things went nuts. Football was less transparently about making money before then and now it's clearly just a vehicle for extreme greed and they don't have to pretend otherwise (see: the Euro Super League in the news at the min).

Conor being able to command such high PPV figures and make the UFC so much money tilted it from having at least the pretense of a legitimate sport where ability and skill made you a star into a place where if it'll make news or money, they'll find a way to make it happen. Even if that ends up being making a stupid as gently caress championship belt about being a "bad motherfucker" because you managed to throw the luckiest knee of your life 5 seconds into a fight.

Which isn't to say Conor didn't have the ability and skill to make it to super stardom even in a world where he wasn't pulling unheard of PPVs for MMA, because he did. It just took a huge backseat to everything else.

I thought Lesnar was the ridiculous moment

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

LobsterMobster posted:

I assume "some back and forth" amounts to UFC hoping Klose would just gently caress off, and him refusing to do so

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1384906964006752257

Lot of idiots in the comments saying he shouldn't have been paid at all, but :

https://twitter.com/wdn29/status/1384907355268255754?s=20

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I want to hate him, but he sure is right here.

That'll make his career total what, like 1?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

imagine how good his shin kicking will be if he keeps the titanium bar

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

1glitch0 posted:

There's no way I'd fight with a titanium bar in my leg. I have one in my femur and the doctor told me I should take it out after a few years because if the femur broke again it would basically shatter into a million pieces. I did not take his advice because I couldn't go through all of that again so I just decided for the rest of my life I would exercise extreme caution. Fighting someone who might be a dick and know where your bar is? No way.

Yeah that was definitely a joke. I've got a friend who has bars for his spine and he showed me an xray where one had broken because of exercise :stonk:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

1glitch0 posted:

Yeah I got you were joking. How bad was that for your friend??

It was fracturing so not completely severed and he seemed fine enough. Often said he probably should stop skydiving which is what exploded his spine in the first place.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Gimme Alessio sakara dry heaving on the canvas and gray maynard knocking himself out while making his opponent tap with a slam

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

Bring back sponsors on shorts

https://youtu.be/Vycim-nf9l4

This looks like the kind of product that would produce a lot of content for the schadenfreude thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Christian aguilera threw me for a second.