Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

oh right bingo was a thing huh

video games are like podcasts in that i have way too many in my backlog and can never concievably get to all of them

sonic forces was a good game BECAUSE it leaned into the saturday morning cartoon bullshit just to get it out of their system, and the fact the levels were as short as they were was a good thing because replaying unleashed just taught me that drat those levels dragged if you were doing it for the first time
also what other game lets you wear a gamer hat

uhhhhhhhh

may chat thread: Google Maydia :shrug: all the good jokes were made already and try as i might i couldnt figure out a meltdown may joke

think i got it all: https://bingobaker.com/#0572a3799dee9324

edit: OF COURSE I SNIPE THE PAGE IM SO SORRY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pretty much none of his followers have any idea what he is talking about.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

man i love terry crews what a big ol nerd

you can really hear his voice in that tweet

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Did that cost 80 bucks though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lmao hell yeah!!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Acerbatus posted:

Did that cost 80 bucks though

one of those game units was $30 and additional creature tanks were like $8 each or something. so not quite but it did add up

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the best one of those creature battler dedicated handhelds was skannerz though. instead of buying a bunch of lovely add-ons you just collected your mons by scanning upc bar codes at the supermarket or whatever

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

Weedle posted:

the best one of those creature battler dedicated handhelds was skannerz though. instead of buying a bunch of lovely add-ons you just collected your mons by scanning upc bar codes at the supermarket or whatever

i do remember some too good to check stories out of japan where there were runs on things (a certain bar of soap?) that had extremely powerful barcodes

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Weedle posted:

I remember Skannerz. I never had one, but even as a young kid I knew that the tech + concept was super slick. Seemed like a great way to get kids to Enjoy Gameing while exploring the real world?

I'm curious as to which products produced the most OP mons

mkvltra fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 30, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Scannerz was bullshit. I scanned every barcode in my house and didn't get a single mon.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
guys

guys... GUYS. HEY.

VEEG IS FIGHTING GENICHIRO

https://twitch.tv/videogamessa

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

guys

guys... GUYS. HEY.

VEEG IS FIGHTING GENICHIRO

https://twitch.tv/videogamessa

Go Videogames!!

JUST KIDDING HAHAHAHA SECRET PHASE 3

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

:kiss:

:vince:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
HOLY loving poo poo I JUST THREW POPCORN EVERYWHERE I'M LOSING MY MIND

YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO KILL GENICHIRO THAT FAST

BAH GAWD HE HAD A FAMILY

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't usually play sports manager games but the claims that this one is like XCOM means I've downloaded the demo and maybe I'll buy it before the sale is over

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://clips.twitch.tv/FriendlySpikyVultureTakeNRG-5LOQ-5PvcbAPPSXO

He did it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

WOWOWOO

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Im gonna get some hate mail for this, but I’ve been playing and enjoying Skyrim: Special Edition this past week, like yeah I kinda have had to unfocus my eyes sometimes and ignore the stiff NPCs running into walls and the plates full of cheeses that erupt into physicsmania whenever I brush past them, and the story’s bad and the dialogue’s dry... but it only took like thirty mods or so to shape it into a Game I Really Like

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
New Pokemon Snap is the greatest game ever made

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm excited for that, it's very hard to get into mainline smt. SMT4 seems to actively hate you and want you to fail for the first four hours.

Naraka being so drat hard compared to the rest of the game was tough. Fighting Minotaur with Walter as your NPC partner is hell.

Holy gently caress, Veeg has ascended.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

Im gonna get some hate mail for this, but I’ve been playing and enjoying Skyrim: Special Edition this past week, like yeah I kinda have had to unfocus my eyes sometimes and ignore the stiff NPCs running into walls and the plates full of cheeses that erupt into physicsmania whenever I brush past them, and the story’s bad and the dialogue’s dry... but it only took like thirty mods or so to shape it into a Game I Really Like

Todd Howard's magnum opus is good but I still like Oblivion the best

Weedle
May 31, 2006

remember when vg was like "oh it's just little old me bumbling through the fromsoft back catalogue. hope i can do it!" we have been thoroughly hustled

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Jay Rust posted:

Mcdonald's is fine just don't eat any of the food and throw it all out and then make some burgers of your own from scratch and serve them in the McDonald's wrapper and it's good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You do not become admin of video games by being bad at video games

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you like the core premise of Skyrim it's still one of the best games out there for that premise. Like it's a buggy messy game with mediocre combat and everything the detractors say is 100% right but I still love it because as far as open ended fantasy adventure simulators go, it's top tier and I'm willing to forgive the rest

The ideal TES game has the dungeons of Skyrim, the quest design of Oblivion, and the world design of Morrowind though. And game mechanics from an entirely different series

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Playing from games continuously for several months makes you good at them, who knew

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay Rust posted:

Nah lots of people love Skyrim once you mod it into being not lovely

Its a heavily flawed game but its a pretty huge RPG environment toybox and there's fun to be had

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the ideal tes game is smaller in scope but with a more detailed world, has slower, more tactile combat, fewer but more meaningful items, and it should take place somewhere called "lordran"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly trying to make the combat really intricate would probably be a mistake because the point is the adventure and the exploration, not the fighting. Fighting is just something fantasy adventurers do a lot of, not the point of the game

That might be an impossible needle to thread while still being fun, though

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 30, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You could make the combat more systems-driven, with detailed physics, and weapon degradation, and set it in Hyrule

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

haveblue posted:

You could make the combat more systems-driven, with detailed physics, and weapon degradation, and set it in Hyrule

yeah sounds like a cool idea, someone should make it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I really don’t like how chosen-one-ish Skyrim is, I explicitly installed a mod that delays the main quest so I could be a cool nomad mercenary-type for longer

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oblivion also gives you a world-ending threat and a Grand Quest before you’ve even chosen your class, it really runs counter to what elder scroll games are/should be about

Instead i like morrowind’s approach, main quest giver guy is explicitly like “yeah I got missions for you but you’re a dumb newbie and the world isn’t ending (for now), take a few hours to gently caress around in Todd Howard’s amazing sandbox and get some level ups”

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don’t want to be chosen for anything ever again

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Checking my 2021 gamer stats, and yes, at least 40% of the games I played this year feature explicitly chosen-one protagonists

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I think the ideal TES game would be more like Warren Spector's "one city block" idea, an immersive sim where you have a city with a ton of NPCs with complex lives and questlines that feed back into each other.

Which is sorta what Outer Worlds was trying to be? But not quite.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Checking my 2021 gamer stats, and yes, at least 40% of the games I played this year feature explicitly chosen-one protagonists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T61i85GiJq0

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Maybe just a step above the rumor mill, Disney is purportedly looking to develop Alien Isolation 2.

quote:

We were also told that it looks like Disney is currently looking for developers to make the game.
But... I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oblivion had a few neat quests like the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild, but most of them were pretty boring. I also don't like that particular style of open-world exploration where it's like...it just feels totally empty and boring. There are sometimes dungeons filled with rats, but it feels like for a world as massive as it is, there's hardly any secrets, or the idea that "oh poo poo I just found something COOL." BotW does a much better job of giving you constant stuff within your line of sight to constantly zig-zag between, but Oblivion basically says "hey don't bother straying from the main road unless we tell you to, you're not missing anything." But even then, I even still prefer Xenoblade 1/X/2's large connected zones where there's hidden poo poo literally everywhere and it's a much more handcrafted experience

also obviously the combat is bad and not fun and therefor getting cool loot isnt exciting because its not fun to use it