Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thats a reflection, sorry you don't know how mirrors work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

stev posted:

They made a Persona 4 anime if you just want to watch an abridged version of the story.

And it's legitimately really good. Just not the Golden anime.

Acerbatus posted:

P5R vastly improved mementos, then it added on the stamps which mean you sometimes need to just go up and down and up and down and up and down to get the last 4 stamps or whatever if you want to fight the extra boss.

Yeah, Mementos was a huge drag in the original version but it's much better in Royal. Turns out adding some actual objectives and rewards along with a way to avoid random fights helps a lot!

Walla posted:

The worst part of Persona is the dungeons. Give me the story on rails, the daily calendar and the investigating weird poo poo without the long corridors of dungeons please.

I'm still enjoying the hell out of P4G though.

I'm a pretty big Persona fan but these days I don't really click with the gameplay of P4 (or P3) all that much. The randomly-generated hallway dungeons and comparatively-stiff combat are just kinda okay. Persona 5's combat is a ton better with just a couple of new systems layered on top.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 14, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Watermelons are the worst melons

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
alright here we go, round two on looper ranks the mega man platformers that aren't lame

Mega Man Legends:
Legends 2
Legends 1
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne

Legends 2 is one of my favorite older games, and that hasn't changed on replays. I know it makes some decisions that folks may find irksome, like not having heavily interconnected caverns or having a sluggish underwater dungeon, but I am perfectly fine with both of those things! I love the different moods presented by the somber snow town that's seen so many travelers throw themselves into a giant maelstrom, the fortified tower town besieged by kooky bird bots, the depths of those underwater ruins... Kattelox is a great setting with lots of fun sidequests to undertake, but Legends 2 controls so much better than 1 and I've always felt 1 is weirdly backloaded in terms of pacing and quest availability. MoTB is very charming but ultimately less enjoyable to actually play than the main games. I haven't gone credits diving to check but it def feels like it didn't share the same team as the other two, though maybe it just didn't have as much of a budget. More proto-pikmin thievery and dungeon crawling and fewer block puzzles, please (though they were pretty good puzzles).

Also how can I not love a game that makes you work through a 100 question trivia gauntlet to earn the Z Saber?

Mega Man Zero

First off, this series is front-to-back incredible, like wow. I'd only ever played the first one as a kid and am very glad to have finally played through the rest. The first game can get super difficult in parts and doesn't seem designed with the GBA screen size in mind, and the fourth game introduces a clunky and grindy crafting system, but other than that, these are all pretty close together. There's so much style, quality gamefeel, and above all consistency in design across all four games that they, as a series, really hang together in a way that other MM series don't. The controls are tight and responsive, the bosses are all rad as hell, the story explores themes the X series mostly shies away from, and then it sticks the landing with an epic conclusion. Sayonara, Zero the Godspeed Edgeboy.

Mega Man ZX
ZXA
ZX

Only two games here so this feels kinda silly, but here we are. This is kind of a sequel series to Zero where instead of getting new weapons you just take on the forms of bosses altogether, which is very cool! ZXA gets the edge here for letting you literally turn into bosses, mavericks and mega men alike, including this rad dude

It also improves the world navigation and quest system that were bummers in ZX, though the latter does have a fantastic bonus boss in Omega, who now doesn't have any delays between his attacks unlike his Zero 3 incarnation. The stories in both are unfortunately garbage, which is disappointing after X, Zero, and Legends all brought cool ideas to the table.

Just for fun, here's how I feel about all four series combined.

Zero 3
Legends 2
Zero 4
Zero 2
Legends 1
ZXA
Zero 1
Xtreme 2
Xtreme 1
ZX
Command Mission

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

i clicked to the watch a video :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Listen I can't be mad that the anime has two Chies, we should all be so lucky to live in a world where there are two Chies

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

A version of P4 where there are two Chies and Teddie is loving dead sounds so cool

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

Yeah, Mementos was a huge drag in the original version but it's much better in Royal. Turns out adding some actual objectives and rewards along with a way to avoid random fights helps a lot!

For the record, I hate the RNG on second stamp pedastels appearing. :argh:

homeless snail posted:

thats a reflection, sorry you don't know how mirrors work

Is Rise a reverse vampire and you can only see her reflection? :tinfoil:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Harrow posted:

Listen I can't be mad that the anime has two Chies, we should all be so lucky to live in a world where there are two Chies

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

hatty posted:

:hai:

honeydew or cantaloupe are where its at

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hatty posted:

Whatever melon came up with this take seems like the worst

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

A version of P4 where there are two Chies and Teddie is loving dead sounds so cool

Just remembered that Teddie grew a boy inside him. That happened.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Harrow posted:

Definitely two Chies, the one everyone seems to like and "A-Ha, is this our chance?"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

hatty posted:

Makoto "Melon Buster" Niijima

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

stev posted:

Just remembered that Teddie grew a boy inside him. That happened.

(teddie spoilers do not click unless you know already)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i dont remember that line

oh that's from some spin off?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

stev posted:

That happened.

When I watch the endurance run this is the exact moment of the game where I really start to lose interest

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Harrow posted:

Same thing with Will Seeds in the dungeons, it’s nice to have incentive to explore

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

hatty posted:

The hell you say. Watermelon owns

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mix. posted:

:hai:

honeydew or cantaloupe are where its at

I love cantaloupe

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I-7hwgwqa4

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

The hell you say. Watermelon owns

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

but how do you feel about megamelons

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
All melons are good but unfortunately one melon has to be the worst and I decree its the watermelon

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

What about some gross gourd. Those are just funny melons

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

What about some gross gourd. Those are just funny melons

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hella excited for the fruit that tastes like water

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Salted watermelon is where it's at

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lets hang out posted:

hella excited for the fruit that tastes like water
yeah I'm excited for apples too

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Honeydew is the worst melon and this is not up for debate

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Just call me, Megamelons

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

sharrrk posted:

but how do you feel about megamelons

gently caress

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

is how I feel about megamelons

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

haveblue posted:

Honeydew is the worst melon and this is not up for debate

My man

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Finished off the dlc for Doom Eternal. what a game. Some frustrating parts- I never liked Whiplashes or the Stone Imps in particular- but tons of fun once you got into the swing of it. Still kind of in that 'just one more level' mode but I don't think I'm going to go for a higher difficulty run right away, that's probably a bit too much.

I think I want to knock Pokemon Sun/Moon off my list, but I just opened my 3DS after a long time and the stylus is missing, which is a bit of a bummer. That guy put in a lot of hours of picross, you will be missed

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ghost chie isn't real she can't hurt you

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

ghost chie isn't real she can't hurt you

Just smh at anyone who doesn't love Chie

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
watermelon is good enough that you can just name it after the blandest thing that exists and people still want it

honeydew has to try and trick you with 'honey' because it sucks and you just eat around it in breakfast fruit medleys

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Relax Or DIE posted:

watermelon is good enough that you can just name it after the blandest thing that exists and people still want it

honeydew has to try and trick you with 'honey' because it sucks and you just eat around it in breakfast fruit medleys

honeydew owns sorry about your tastes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Looper posted:

alright here we go, round two on looper ranks the mega man platformers that aren't lame

Mega Man Legends:
Legends 2
Legends 1

Legends 2 is one of my favorite older games, and that hasn't changed on replays. I know it makes some decisions that folks may find irksome, like not having heavily interconnected caverns or having a sluggish underwater dungeon, but I am perfectly fine with both of those things! I love the different moods presented by the somber snow town that's seen so many travelers throw themselves into a giant maelstrom, the fortified tower town besieged by kooky bird bots, the depths of those underwater ruins... Kattelox is a great setting with lots of fun sidequests to undertake, but Legends 2 controls so much better than 1 and I've always felt 1 is weirdly backloaded in terms of pacing and quest availability. MoTB is very charming but ultimately less enjoyable to actually play than the main games. I haven't gone credits diving to check but it def feels like it didn't share the same team as the other two, though maybe it just didn't have as much of a budget. More proto-pikmin thievery and dungeon crawling and fewer block puzzles, please (though they were pretty good puzzles).

Also how can I not love a game that makes you work through a 100 question trivia gauntlet to earn the Z Saber?

Mega Man Zero

First off, this series is front-to-back incredible, like wow. I'd only ever played the first one as a kid and am very glad to have finally played through the rest. The first game can get super difficult in parts and doesn't seem designed with the GBA screen size in mind, and the fourth game introduces a clunky and grindy crafting system, but other than that, these are all pretty close together. There's so much style, quality gamefeel, and above all consistency in design across all four games that they, as a series, really hang together in a way that other MM series don't. The controls are tight and responsive, the bosses are all rad as hell, the story explores themes the X series mostly shies away from, and then it sticks the landing with an epic conclusion. Sayonara, Zero the Godspeed Edgeboy.

Mega Man ZX
ZXA
ZX

Only two games here so this feels kinda silly, but here we are. This is kind of a sequel series to Zero where instead of getting new weapons you just take on the forms of bosses altogether, which is very cool! ZXA gets the edge here for letting you literally turn into bosses, mavericks and mega men alike, including this rad dude

It also improves the world navigation and quest system that were bummers in ZX, though the latter does have a fantastic bonus boss in Omega, who now doesn't have any delays between his attacks unlike his Zero 3 incarnation. The stories in both are unfortunately garbage, which is disappointing after X, Zero, and Legends all brought cool ideas to the table.

Just for fun, here's how I feel about all four series combined.

Zero 3
Legends 2
Zero 4
Zero 2
Legends 1
ZXA
Zero 1
Xtreme 2
Xtreme 1
ZX
Command Mission

very good post. I need to get back to the Zero Collection, I stalled out in Zero 2