Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I survived my night shift. Thank you to those who donated posting energy not unlike charging Goku’s Spirit Bomb.

I’m very excited to continue playing games and posting with you all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

The game and watch mario thing looks like a neat thing to have on a shelf but lol not for 80 bucks nintendo are you taking the piss

You can sucker me into paying that for 3 good mario games (even if SMG2 really shouldve been there you cheapskates) but not fickin mario bros.

Y-yeah you’d have to... be a real goddamn sucker to buy one of those.

*sweating and tugging collar nervously*

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

mkvltra posted:

Do you work at Chuck E Cheese

Close, cybersecurity for a large bank, so all the children I have to deal with have titles like "Senior Lending Manager"

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

We had a first birthday party tonight for my wife’s nephew (and my nephew! :3: - I’m an only child, so it’s still cool to me that I got married and am now an uncle!)

His parents live in London, his family on his father's side is all here in Aus, and with COVID nobody has been able to visit. We Skyped. It was lovely.

We also catered in appropriate fashion for a first birthday party whether he was in this country or not :australia:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Fairy bread should only be cut into triangles, anyone who tries to make you eat rectangular cut fairy bread is a psychopath.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Rarity posted:

I cut my fairy bread into pentagons because I'm a rebel and I can't be tamed

I don't like it.

But I can respect it. :hai:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm continuing my journey through Dragon Quest XI S on GamePass and oh my god this is just the comfiest game. It's as if someone made A Really Good Cup Of Tea: The Videogame or A Pleasant Relaxing Bath: The Videogame. I like the bright, colourful world and adorable monster designs, I like the episodic-ish feeling nature of each chunk of the game. I like the easygoing nature of the battle system outside of boss fights and having team-mate AI that actually feels good enough to just leave them on 'Fight Wisely' and have them not act like complete idiots. I like the characters themselves - Sylvando is, as I'm sure many people will agree, the absolute greatest.

Having enemies present on the overworld means that I can control exactly how much I feel like battling and generally I've felt pretty on-level for wherever I am in the game just by smacking at least one of every new monster I see, going out of my way to explore and find treasure - that usually requires defeating an enemy or two that auto-aggro or are protecting it - and completing quests as I come upon them. Although quest-wise the Tickington stuff that I don't know that I can really be bothered with, having no real nostalgia for Dragon Quest as a franchise (my first Dragon Quest game was actually Dragon Warrior Monsters on the GBC and besides that I've played DQ1 - that's it) but that doesn't matter because it's entirely optional. Anyway, being able to just run around and otherwise avoid combat encounters is great. I've just finished up at Octagonia and am heading over to Dundrasil where I figure some plot dumping is about to happen and it was basically an anime tournament arc and I love it.

The game is just absolutely charming as gently caress. I think the high degree of charm actually allows it to take elements like the now cliche turn based battle system and the so far absolutely cliche chosen one story and have them work because the entire thing feels like one big comfy fairy tale. I don't seem myself diving into the post-game stuff when I eventually finish up the game as that's just not what I'm looking for out of it, but I'm looking forward to continuing to gently ramble and meander through the rest of the game until the credits roll.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Me, re DQ11: This game is so comfy!

Me, playing through the mermaid questline: Oh. :stare:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't think I remember that one, what's it do?

You encounter a mermaid waiting for her fiance - a human she rescued and fell in love with called Kai - to return to marry her as he promised. He was engaged to his village elder's daughter and needed to return home to break off the engagement.
You go to the village and find out mermaids are bad at time, as they live around 500 years, so the dude is long dead. Even better, turns out when he got back to his village and broke off the engagement they thought the mermaid cursed him so they burnt his boat and exiled him. The village elder's daughter marries someone else and has a child, time passes, and her new husband and the village elder both die in a storm. She's so distraught that she hurls herself and the baby from the loving cliffs into the ocean. Kai rescues the baby (the woman drowns) and feels obligated to stay and raise the child, knowing that he'll never return to the mermaid to do so. You find this all out from Kai's (adoptive) grandson.

At this point, you can either tell the mermaid the truth or lie to her. I told her the truth.

She comes back to the island to meet the grandson, realises that Kai loved her all along, grows legs to walk onto land so that she can touch his grave stone then kills herself by throwing herself into the sea where she turns into sea foam because once a mermaid walks on land she can never go back to the sea (shades of the non-Disney version of the story of The Little Mermaid here).

It's all very melodramatic but it's definitely significantly darker than anything in the game up to this point besides (early game plot spoilers) your village being razed to the ground I guess.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I, too, love <brand> and love engaging with <brand>

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Been catching up with the thread. In order of importance:

Simone your new av rules, I enjoy your posts, and belated happy birthday

Rest in piss Prince Philip.

I got to Yggdrasil in Dragon Quest XI and hahaha the game has loving FF6-ed me, just how long is this wonderful game? :allears:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Also on a separate note, I made mitarashi dango tonight

Why yes, I have been playing Monster Hunter Rise, how could you tell?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Gotta squeeze in a replay of TWEWY when I finish up Dragon Quest XI.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So back in 2018 a cocktail book called Cocktail Codex was released that posits that there are actually only 6 "root" cocktails - the old fashioned, the martini, the daiquiri, the sidecar, the whiskey highball, the flip. All other modern cocktails are evolutions and variations stemming from one of those six roots. And while it doesn't really cover pre-Prohibition mixed drinks I think it's otherwise pretty spot on.

This got me thinking, what do people think the root gaming genres would be?

As with any discussion of genre there's a heavy amount of subjectivity to this and I think you'll end up with wildly different categories depending on where and how you draw the line, but from thinking about it very casually I think I'd identify as my starting point four root genres.

Action - Skill based, reflex oriented games e.g Spacewar!, Asteroids, Pac Man, Space Invaders. Spawns roughly fifty million subgenres. Maze games, platformers, shmups, beat em ups etc.

Adventure - Narrative focused exploratory games. Colossal Cave Adventure leading to text adventures/IF and later graphical adventures. Adventure game elements added to wargames gives us role-playing games, much like narrative elements added to pen and paper wargames got us D&D in the real world. Adventure and Action eventually combined into the Action/Adventure genre, the titanic juggernaut that now feels like it comprises a big swath of AAA gaming.

Puzzle - The player tries to solve a problem presented by the game using their wits, starting with adaptations of pen and paper thinking games like Tic Tac Toe and Hangman, leading to things like Sokoban games, Tetris, Pipe Dream etc.

Simulation - Simulations of (predominantly) real-world experiences in videogame form. Early wargames and strategy games like The Sumerian Game, as well as sports simulations like Tennis for Two and Pong. Spawns the RTS, Sports and Racing genres.

I'd need to sit down and do a bunch more research in order to flesh this out properly but I'd say these four root genres can account for just about any other genre by blending between them. It'd be a fun project to see someone map a theory like this out tracing the descent of genres over time, and I'm sure everyone would endlessly argue over it for all eternity much like, say, subgenres of Metal.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Walla posted:

Root games would primarily be those that were made for the first 3 generations of consoles, because it's not until the 90's that you begin to get significant deviation from what's possible.

Fighting
Adventure (Text based and Point & Click - See Sierra)
Platformers (This includes Mario, Metroid, Mega Man)
Shmups
Action Adventure (Zelda)
JRPG
Puzzle
Game Sim (Pool, Pong, Video Board Games)
Simulation
RTS/4x
FPS

What about Fighting games makes you list it as a root genre?

For my money I'd say Simulation -> Sports Sims (Heavyweight Champ was a boxing game for two players and the first 1v1 fighter, then stuff like Karate Champ which is still sport tournament themed) -> Fighting Games starts emerging as a distinct genre with Yie Ar Kung Fu and is established with Street Fighter.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

It’s all wargames all the way down

This tracks.
Death Stranding is a wargame. The war is between my patience and Kojima's masturbatory self-indulgence.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Pong is a "tennis for two"-like

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Barudak posted:

Robos got a goddamn beer belly

Please do not belly shame.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

You are all my posting nakama

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

The hell you say. Watermelon owns

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Mix. posted:

hey chat thread what game should i play next after im done with the one im on, astral chain or 13 sentinels

im gonna play both eventually but idk which one should come first

You should play 13 Sentinels and you should livepost your reactions into this thread.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I finished Genesis Noir last night. I'm going to write up some more concrete thoughts some time this week when I've had time to digest it a little bit, but my pithy one-sentence review would be "Genesis Noir is a fantastic animated film cruelly twisted into being a video game through the addition of insipid puzzling mechanics".

Anyway here's a sassy videogame witch.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

No hat huh............

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

One of the puzzles broke and I had to reset an hour back and the style was good but not good enough to replay. You're right in other words lol

Over the course of my playthrough I encountered three complete softlocks from progression triggers of various kinds failing to fire. Also another weird bug where my cursor got stuck as a tiny dot until I restarted the game which wasn't really a softlock but given that working out what you can interact with and how is generally indicated by your cursor changing shape I sure as hell wasn't going to suffer through it and just sucked it up and restarted the section.

The first of the softlocks I got was in the first fifteen minutes of the game which wasn't a great first impression. Honestly I'm mostly just irritated because I was extremely all in for the theme/vibe of the game and boy howdy that really wrenched me right the gently caress out of it.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

On a brighter note I started Wandersong on my Switch tonight and this game is freaking delightful :3:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

This started as a write-up of my earliest gaming memory prompted by a piece of gaming news and then started meandering so apologies for that.

So Apogee Entertainment has relaunched itself to act as an indie publisher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp_FIFSBliU. Thankfully though it's not quite the too typical shambling-corpse-of-a-beloved-company situation where someone bought the naming rights and is now gracelessly puppeting the corpse around ala Atari. It's somewhat confusing, but I think I've got this straight: The original Apogee founded by Scott Miller became 3D Realms, which obviously still exists as an entity today - in 2008 though, Miller sold the name and rights to a number of games to his friend Terry Nagy. Nagy's now relaunced Apogee Entertainment as a publisher, and has brought Scott Miller back in to the company. I'll be happy if they can carve out a Devolver Digital or Annapurna Interactive space for themselves as a mid-level publisher, and I've got a huge deal of nostalgia for a number of old Apogee published games - hell, I played the Crystal Caves HD remaster that Apogee Entertainment published late last year and still thoroughly enjoyed it, so if we get more remasters on that level and nothing else of consequence I'll still be happy.

This actually ties in nicely to my earliest gaming memory.

When I was little, my dad's study was this mystical, mostly off-limits place. He'd been a network cabler for our then still-nationalised telecommunications company, and with the rise of computers he retrained and started doing network engineer/sysadmin stuff. I still remember my Mum leading me in by the hand to say good night to him when it was my bed time if he was still shut away working in his study. Stealing glances at the computer screen, mostly conceptualised in my young mind as some sort of expensive and fantastical device that was illicit for children to use, I'd see what looked to me like glowing coloured boxes on a black screen. I had no conception of what they were, but I remember a burning curiosity and desire to be more grown up so that I too could play with the magic box. Adult me recognises it in hindsight as being a mix of him working in configuration panels of various DOS programs or dialing in to the occasional BBS. This was all somewhere between 1990-1992, and is frankly smeared together in my memory.

I'm 99% sure that the first video game I ever played, with my father's help, was id Software developed and Apogee published Commander Keen in Invasion of the Vorticons. I was terrible at it and mostly played the first few levels over and over before getting lost/getting confused/dying, but it never discouraged me. I was always content to play these same few snippets, just being wonderstruck at the concept of these interactive pieces of media. The game has left an indelible impression on me - hell, to this day I still feel a tiny twinge of child-like terror whenever a Garg charges at me, teeth gnashing.

Pictured: The stuff of nightmares.

Other early shareware games published by Apogee Software rapidly formed my introductions to PC gaming - titles like Word Rescue and Math Rescue (great as I could easily convince my parents to let me sink hours into them as I was ostensibly learning something), Crystal Caves and Secret Agent (fundamentally a retheme of Crystal Caves). I remember the prettier, more sprawling Commander Keen in Goodbye, Galaxy! and the horror of stumbling on to the Dopefish in the Well of Wishes for the first time.

Pictured: The stuff of nightmares (underwater edition).

As I took my first steps into PC gaming it would still be years until I made friends with kids who also had a computer in their house. Consoles - mostly scattered NESes and Master Systems with the occasional Mega Drive (PAL Mega Drive) and rarely the new, fancy, expensive SNES - meant that kids I'd make friends who were familiar with playing games, sure, but it took a while before I got to know people around my age who'd experienced some of these games while they were growing up.

Most of all though, the Apogee published game that I remember most is Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure - I would play through with my Dad over and over again. It was a great way for us to bond given that expressing himself has never really been one of my Dad's strengths - instead I could spend time with him clustered around the PC, playing Cosmo as a shared activity and experience, and it felt like it was something just for us as father and son. We're both still very fond of the game today. He even sat down and played through all three episodes some time in the last decade, which is more time and energy than I've been able to muster, but then again he doesn't have any interest in modern gaming so has a lot less in his backlog to worry about!

Now if you'll all excuse me I need to go and call my Dad and tell him that I love him. :unsmith:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

speaking of cyberpunk, I've been thinking about Shadowrun again recently

mostly fond memories of the Genesis game, but also thinking I never played more than an hour and a bit of any of the HBS games despite owning all 3

Which ones're the "good" ones again? I remember one was considered noticeably weaker than the rest at the time

More importantly: which ones'll let me deck my way to victory and total dominance a la the Genesis deckers? :v:

Dragonfall and Hong Kong are both good, significantly more so than the first game which honestly I wouldn’t bother with given the other two exist. I think Hong Kong is the most refined of the three from a gameplay and quest design standpoint but Dragonfall is great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I stepped down as mod today, if that's the kind of thing anyone cares about. There's no drama or behind-the-scenes goings on that caused this, just me not being a good fit for that kind of role and doing what's best for myself as well as feeling like the rest of the team (VG, Harrow, NikkolasKing and super star IK Metis) can and will make sure that Games remains one of the best places to talk about video games, on the internet.

Thanks for your modding service, you were A Good Mod. But also and more importantly, congratulations on your freedom.