Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm not gonna generate a bingo card until the end of the month so I'll see how that turns out.

Anyway:

How KingsIsle thought they designed the different classes in Wizard101

What KingsIsle actually designed

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ew, I saw a banner ad for a kickstarter for a new game from the Magical Diary/Long Live the Queen dev and maybe it's just me reading into it too much but it comes across like it features grooming.

It's about you being a butler to a vampire who has reverted to being a child for reasons so you have to send her to go work and learn to hunt until she can relearn how to be a proper vampire and change back into her adult form so you can continue keep your youth through vampire blood bond servant stuff.

It said the relationship stuff is optional but it being optional doesn't change the fact that it is still an option and I don't think the subject of grooming should be handled so carelessly.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Wrath: The Oblivion – Afterlife

Wraith is cool though admittedly most of what I know about it comes from the supplemental book about the effects of the Holocaust on the Wraith world.

The Charnel Houses of Europe book handled its subject matter surprisingly well for a World of Darkness book.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L74TtrkJakI

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

I've been thinking about this for a long time and I think chilli is the Dark Souls of food. No wait, here me out. It's got a super high difficulty level, chefs are now trying to put it in everything and if you fail you lose all your progress and have to start over. It totally fits

Chili is in no way, shape, or form the Dark Souls of anything, creating or consuming.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Dark Souls of Dark Souls Sequels would need to be a game that is definitely challenging but also something that is hyped up as super challenging, almost unapproachable, when really it's just challenging and expects the player to learn from the game and adapt.

In this sense, I would argue that Bloodborne is the Dark Souls of sequels because while it is not a sequel to Dark Souls, it is very much a souls-style game made by the same developers and presented as an alternate take on the formula. Bloodborne specifically is designed to force players who are veterans of Dark Souls games to relearn the fighting system so that they are more aggressive, leaving the player without much in the way of sword & board combat and instead focusing on lots of dodging, aggressive switch-weapon combos, and support fire from your firearm.

Bloodborne is the Dark Souls of Dark Souls sequels.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

"My Younger Fiancee Is Worried About Me Spending All My Time Trying To Pierce The Mysteries Of Life And Death So I Made A Big Monster Out Of Corpse Parts That's Angry At Me", Mary Shelley's pivotal work of romanticism.

Sometimes it works well. I don't think that games copying that particular style of wordy overly specific titles is meant to be a serious attempt at titling the work, just giving a relaxed and chill mood to it. A few different comedy stories come to mind, like Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch, or the much less well known pen & paper rpg "Oh No I'm Late to the MCR Concert & I Have an Extra Ticket"

Then there are more some more serious works with long description names like The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Even the original Frankenstein story's full title was "Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus"

Funnier still when you end up with stuff like "Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie"

ok I mainly just wanted an excuse to mention some existing long-name stuff that makes me laugh or I think is neat

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

hmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The reviews just say it's a gacha game so idk what all there was to it to begin with aside from gacha

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I finally woke up from a dream loop I got stuck in. I kept waking up and realizing I was still dreaming only to wake up again and repeat the whole process like 5 or 6 times.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

are you sure?

There are positive things happening right now and I'm not constantly being assaulted by a barrage of my greatest fears so I've gotta be awake, or my brain got tired of the nightmares and night terrors and threw me a bone. It'll go back to the nightmares soon though I'm sure, just hopefully my brain doesn't stick with the theme of neverending loops of waking up into a dream, getting to the pc, trying to talk to people, and then waking up again.

Gaius Marius posted:

I loving hate babish so much, he's a poo poo Cook with poo poo technique who does nothing but chase clout. I hope he falls down some stairs

Why do you hate him so much, what's bad about his technique and cooking that you wish him harm

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mode 7 posted:

Fairy bread should only be cut into triangles, anyone who tries to make you eat rectangular cut fairy bread is a psychopath.

Maybe they meant this kind of square

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Yo FAK, nothing to do with anything, but did you ever keep up with the Heart's Medicine series? I kind of forgot about it after the last game was a F2P microtransaction laden mess. But today while trying to decide what to play I thought of it again and looked it up and turns out they finally ported it to PC last year. However on checking the reviews I see they made the transition from F2P to purchase in the worst way possible. Apparently all the gated F2P bullshit still exists in the game, just you no longer have the option to purchase things to bypass it. So instead the only way to make progress in the game is to repeatedly grind the same levels over and over to build up the in-game currency needed to move on.

I seriously can't believe what absolute clowns these devs turned out to be. Sucks to have a series I was pretty fond of be ruined like this.

I'd heard that that happened, it is definitely a shame. I haven't kept up with them because I've never played them and I mainly stuck around for when my fiancee would stream them. She was definitely disappointed with the f2p route they took some of their recent titles. I know she's been having thoughts off and on of going back through that whole franchise over a stream but I also know there are other things we want to do first that are more important, like moving to a more spacious apartment before we look into getting better computer equipment for better streaming.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
dear future self: please stop picking up and cuddling the cat who likes to scratch whoever is holding him

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
ATTN PAST SELF: gently caress YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Its always worth it

I've got a ton of scars all over my body, from several long ones on my arms and legs, my fingers are always covered in little scratch marks of all kinds from playing with the cats, most recent scratch is on the left side of my nose and thankfully it doesn't seem like the claw cut through the nose into the nostril. Probably the worst scratch was when my left eye got scratched when I was like 3 or 4 years-old. Only left a scratch on the white of the eye but it must've bungled up the way it was sitting in my eye socket. Now when I'm looking at something, if I start to space out at all then my left eye drifts and goes lazy until I focus my vision a gain.

Still worth it though, got to interact with cats.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Idk anything about AI Somnia, is it pronounced A I Somnia or Aye Somnia

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Or I've been reading it wrong and the I is and l. Al Somnia.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

why is this poo poo game in particular getting the time of day, again

I think a combination of the epilepsy stuff, it being a Yuji Naka project, and Square-Enix being involved

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hope everybody's having a good day today

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What were VG's thoughts on the Frigid Outskirts

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Ha he decided not to even check it out after disliking the other two co op zones

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Yeah, the co-op stuff was not really too interesting sadly. However, I did everything else (even DarkLurker though it was hair raising and I got a double kill with my last hit!) and I felt such intense and incredible joy that it ranks up there as one of my most accomplished moments.

The whole day felt incredible :D I actually beat Dark Souls II! I did everything I set out to do today!

Aava, Sir Alonne, Royal Rat Authority, Dark Lurker, DLC3 and the final main boss!

I had some intense and incredible moments and I cannot sleep because it was so heart pumping :D Goodness!

Today was the best day :D

I cannot stress how important it is that you march right back to DLC3, climb into that coffin, and go explore so you can experience the Frigid Outskirts.

Don't even bother with trying to beat it if you're not having fun with it, but definitely at least go there and run around for a bit.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I gotta say I'm not a fan of when games make you name the main character without a default

I'm not this video game character. I'm nothing like them. Stop trying to get me to use my name for someone who's nothing like me

I understand that some people really get a kick out of that, to the point where they'll refuse to play games where the main character isn't customizable to resemble them at least in gender if not more than that, but I really would like it if there were also defaults for people like me who would much rather control a character than try to immerse fully in it being myself in the fiction

Random name generators are good for that, I never try to recreate myself in games though I'll use "Kite" as a default not because I'm trying to immerse myself but just as an easy pick if the game doesn't have a default or doesn't have a name generator.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Pet peeve talk: it's pretty annoying when I'm watching someone's LP of a horror game and then the game just ends and it turns out it is a demo that is probably not gonna get finished. It's fine if it is tagged as a demo but there are several that just end with "to be continued in full game" or something along those lines.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just wanna play video games
all the time and every day

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Why make a full game when you know LPers desperate for horror content (because that gets the most views) are going to guarantee thousand of sales of your unfinished demo?

A bunch of these games are free though

I wanna say the most baffling one of those is one that does cost money that is $4 on steam and isn't listed as early access but also isn't actually a complete game for 2 reasons.

1. The game is a collection of 11 separate but interconnected games (interconnected meaning stuff like doing extremely cryptic things in an earlier game using info you gained in a later game) but only 6 of the 11 games are available to play.
2. The developer won't release the next part of the game until people find 3 hidden symbols in the most recently released game and the symbols are generally super hidden and there just isn't enough of a fanbase to bother sifting through all the cryptic stuff, with the 6th game having been released in 2019.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wish I had a burrito

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When restaurants are safe to go to again and the pandemic has well and truly passed I am gonna go to a local mexican restaurant and order some fine as hell burritos

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Fandoms can taint a product but in my experience it tends to be the incredibly aggressive types who cause others to shrink away from and avoid associating with them though not necessarily with the thing the fandom is for. I can only tell anecdotes about it thought so idk if it is just what I've experienced personally or if it is something more widespread. My usual story I tell is when I went to Katsucon a decade ago and there were a lot of panels I was interested in going to only to find that the people running said panels were largely the same 5 or so guys wearing my little pony wigs and instead of starting the panels they kept complaining about how they're suffering discrimination for liking mlp and all they were doing was just annoying everybody with how much they were whining about it instead of running the damned panels.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mutata posted:

This past year I deleted my Facebook account, my Twitter account, and blocked Reddit and I tell people about it the way vegans and crossfit people talk about their obsessions because it's been the loving best.

I wish I could do any of that (well not the reddit thing since I don't use reddit) but then I'd just be more socially isolated than I already am and there are some people I can speak to only through twitter and facebook and are too busy with having a life to be able to do much beyond tweet or post on facebook

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember reading that you can have sonic be such a dick in the game that you permanently lose access to a very valuable party member and end up making the game much harder to complete

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
8 more days until Saga Frontier Remastered comes out :bubblewoop::bubblewoop::bubblewoop:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Weird, Undertale doesn't seem ruined at all when I went to go check. Looks like it's the same game. Maybe if I uninstall it then reinstall it it'll install a worse version of the game that the fans uploaded?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The United States posted:

If you don't think fans can't ruin a thing then I would direct you to the S L E N D E R M A N murders

Yo she survived and that's unbelievable that she was stabbed 19 times and dragged herself out of the woods and lived. That poo poo's crazy.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Simone Magus posted:

It's my birthday :kiddo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71yxe9sgmGY

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/Waffleman_/status/1379944196015071232

Yes I'm quoting your own tweet at you, I don't care because it's a good tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

FYI FAK, I went back and loaded my DS2 save (even though I am desperate to return to DS3) and found the Frigid Outskirts.

Happy I did not continue with that. What a weird old mess and those Reindeer are horrendous to try to fight.

Yeah, I really don't get how they designed that and thought "this is fine."

VideoGames posted:

I am still trying to think of a game to play inbetween DS3 sessions that fits this bingo square: "Try a genre of a game you don't usually play'.

Anyone have any ideas?

Did you ever play open sorcery? If not, you could try that, I doubt you play a ton of twine text adventure games