Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

New Super Metis posted:

It's april where I am, and that's what counts.

Gamers!!! It's time for BINGO!!

Click on this link: https://bingobaker.com/#41e510b342027170

It will generate a bingo card. Bookmark it! Keep track! Post the result at the end of the month, for a... oh poo poo I haven't thought of a prize. I guess it's the gangtags???

I am going to attempt this this month! The only ones that are currently stumping me are sassy witches, food posting and the X is the Dark Souls of XXX because until recently I did not play Souls or Soulsikes!!

At least I can cross off :justpost: and vote in the poll. Two down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Dark Souls 2 is definitely the Dark Souls of Sequels....Does this count?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Holy moly! Forgot there was a remake of Nier coming out. When I have finished the From games that is something else to look forward to!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Simone Magus posted:

Ohhhh thanks for the gang tag, VG!!! :)

Any time :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Got home to start my holiday and decided that because Disco Elysium had finished downloading the update I would give it a try.

I just spoke to Noise and Harrow because I originally felt very unintelligent at not understanding stuff.

My words were 'So far I have gotten dressed and feel very small' but they have assured me that it is part of the game and it is more a vibe thing than me not being smart enough to play.

So here is to a lauded game inbetween my souls journey! :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I hope it was not I who broke the wing of the stuffed Skua.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Some of the dialogue you can pick is incredible. My officer wants a name that is orange and gold. I am struggling to think of some myself.

Orange and gold is a powerfully warm combination so you want a name that rolls and is two or more syllables. Perhaps Antonio. I am not sure!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My tie is telling me to cheese it from a bill.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Cuno just brought up Night City and the narrator with the gorgeous voice says it does not exist. Poor cyberpunk 2077.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Should I start playing disco elysium? But sekiro...

Keep playing Sekiro. I just wanted to play something in between my soulsian adventures. You are living the ninja dream!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have had to pause my play there for the moment but I am so glad I waited for the voiceover before playing. Cuno having a brummie accent is wild.

Also my tie has my second favourite voice. And the narrator I could listen to all day.

Already feel something special from this game!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

wuggles, please post more.

:hmmyes:

xedo posted:

So if I've never played a souls game, what's a good starting point?

As someone who has been loving my journey through souls I managed to get into them by playing Bloodborne first. However the difference in combat between Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1 was a little tough for me but the game was still so awesome that I kept playing and am now near the end of Dark Souls 2! :3:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I woke up early despite it being a day off, so used some time to play a little more Disco Elysium and panicked that I had a game over from reading an old letter.

Thank you Kim for looking after me.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Last night I took down Fume Knight. One of the most tough bosses I have faced, but definitely one of the best. It was proper hairy and a random person named VitoDjota is who I summoned to help out. I wish I could give them a prize for being willing to assist.

Godspeed you Vito. o7

I was also saying that I cannot believe how dense Dark Souls 2 is compared to DS1 and Bloodborne. I feel I have explored and been through SO much game in comparison. I have beaten 29 bosses and there is at least 5 more that I am aware of. I have only been playing for 47 hours but that opening in Heidi feels like years and years ago!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7IRP7l-7zo
I;ve never been as salty as after I watched this type of video

This is a level of skill I can never hope to attain. Holy moly. NG+7?? No rolling and no getting hit??

Goodness. Goodness.

Some of those swings they timed so perfectly because I was sure they were going to get hit (I certainly remember the hitboxes getting me!) good lord.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Fume Rules. Have you fought Alonne yet?

Its also in the Brume tower, somewhat hidden, so don't miss it. Keep looking around until you find him, that fight is just as good.

I have fought him yes, but not beaten him. So tough!

I am actually getting impostor syndrome at being so late stage in the game because I am failing so hard!

Looper posted:

fume knight owns so much, i imagine someone mentioned this but if you walk into the fight wearing the helmet of his mortal rival, he gets pissed and immediately moves into phase two. i hope you enjoy the third dlc too, it was my favorite of the three to the point where i spent so much time co-oping its final boss that my soul memory got kinda messed up lol

Someone told me that on stream and that lore is ace. The DLCs have been the best, if most difficult part, of the games so far. I am midway through DLC3 I think. Currently fighting, and getting my tush handed to me, Aava!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Somehow, without meaning to, I booted up Dark Souls remastered on my PC. (I have been playing a lot of games beginning with D and I got confused) and as it loaded I decided to see two things:

1) what it is like to play with the Dualsense.
2) how far can I get without dying?

1) Lovely. It is so nice to play the game without a busted left stick. :)

2) Taurus Demon and the only reason I died was because I dodged and his shockwave of smashing the club down threw me off the battlements (which was pretty funny). I even took down the asylum demon and the big dark knight in the undead burg without dying. I also levelled up 13 times during it.

Feels PRETTY AWESOME to have been able to make such progress on one life when the first time I played it I got stuck with the Asylum Demon.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

What were VG's thoughts on the Frigid Outskirts

Regy Rusty posted:

Ha he decided not to even check it out after disliking the other two co op zones

Yeah, the co-op stuff was not really too interesting sadly. However, I did everything else (even DarkLurker though it was hair raising and I got a double kill with my last hit!) and I felt such intense and incredible joy that it ranks up there as one of my most accomplished moments.

The whole day felt incredible :D I actually beat Dark Souls II! I did everything I set out to do today!

Aava, Sir Alonne, Royal Rat Authority, Dark Lurker, DLC3 and the final main boss!

I had some intense and incredible moments and I cannot sleep because it was so heart pumping :D Goodness!

Today was the best day :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you Zaphod and Harrow!

(Thanks to Regy Rusty clipping it, I did not realise how incredibly filled with joy and delirium I sounded when beating Darklurker here:
https://clips.twitch.tv/OpenPlainOwlPMSTwin-n3FLlEpHtbnkEfuI I was so ecstatic that I saw stars and went light headed. What a feeling :D)

Today I am taking a day off from gaming (possibly - gaming is so much fun on days off from work) before I start DS3 tomorrow. :)

--

My first video game ever played (if we are talking console gaming) is Super Mario Brothers 1 at a craft fair. My parents loved taking the whole family to these places and at one point I got put in the children's creche area where they had a NES and SMB set up. I was 8 years old and managed to get to Bowser's castle in 1-4 before we had to go home.

First game ever completed happened two years later with Super Mario Brothers 3 which I finished before SMB1. In fact I finished SMB2 as well also before SMB1. I was obsessed with SMB3 and SMB2 as a kid.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
One of my bingo squares is post a tier list. (Thank you Metis!)

So here is my rankings of my ten most favourite bosses in Dark Souls II. :)

Dark Souls II Boss Top Ten

10. Looking Glass Knight
9. Old Iron King
8. Sir Alonne
7. Giant Lord
6. Vendrick
5. Velstadt
4. Sing the Slumbering
3. Fume Knight
2. The Pursuer
1. Burnt Ivory King
0. TheCoolSmelt

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I played and defeated 3 bosses last night in Dark Souls 3 and I utterly love how it plays :D This has been worth the wait.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Simone Magus posted:

It's my birthday :kiddo:

happy happy birthday! :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

Dear video games please bring back the genesis era lock in technology but somehow with discs, thanks

Dear Shinjobi,

thank you for writing to me with your request. Unfortunately I have no sway with the video game companies and as such I am sad to say I have no power to do this.

Also I have no idea how I would lock two discs together. Unless I made some sort of laser reader with a top and bottom and a special velcro that could connect discs to each other and then you would read either side for an amalgamation of data.

Would this even work? What if I took a kind of shell where game were made of the smaller discss and you plugged them in the centre of expansion discs a bit like how cdtrays had that dent to hold the really small cds.

OK this requires more though, nevertheless, your request is heard and longed for as well!!

Yours sincerely,
Video Games

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
FYI FAK, I went back and loaded my DS2 save (even though I am desperate to return to DS3) and found the Frigid Outskirts.

Happy I did not continue with that. What a weird old mess and those Reindeer are horrendous to try to fight. I also do not mind that I missed any of the coop bosses seeing as I had technically done them in the main game. Perhaps if they had been unique I might have made the effort to finish them off but for now I am happy to have seen of the game what I have.

Speaking of DS3 the new weapon arts stuff is really interesting. I made all my flasks estus because of my inability to remember to heal so I have no ashen estus but that works for me as occasional Streets of Rage esque power moves :)

I am still trying to think of a game to play inbetween DS3 sessions that fits this bingo square: "Try a genre of a game you don't usually play'.

Anyone have any ideas?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Did you ever play open sorcery? If not, you could try that, I doubt you play a ton of twine text adventure games

Good idea! I do not! :D

BisbyWorl posted:

DS3? You need 14 ATN for two slots, and that nets you 114 FP. Soul Arrow costs 7 a pop, and weapon arts also use it, so you get significantly fewer casts. Then Ashen Estus means cutting into your normal Estus, so now you have less healing with no consumables like DS2 to make up the difference.

Thank you for this, my playstyle means I would never come across it. (I barely ever touched spells in 1 and 2 and much like those, I probably will not be in 3 either.) DS3 definitely seems attuned to me as a player so I am one of the very lucky ones.

Convex posted:

The Secret of Monkey Island
Super Monkey Ball
Timesplitters 2 (features monkeys)

edit: also have you played Pony Island?

Completed Monkey Island 1 2 and 3.
Not played super monkey ball but do not own a gamecube.
Played and completed every timesplitters there is and would LOVE the series to return.

I have started Pony Island but not finished it :)

Rarity posted:

You said you'd play Danganronpa months ago and I bet you don't play many visual novels

That is the best suggestion because I actually did start it and am currently at the point where I am in the lunchroom and some mechanics are being explained to me and I do not play many visual novels at all! :D

OK. Open Sorcery and Danganronpa. Fantastic. Thank you everyone!

Call Your Grandma posted:

Any word on video games yet?

Bird is the word.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

I stalled out on Trial 5 of SDR2 cause I went back to console gaming :negative:

VG start streaming your Danganronpa time so I can watch your reactions tia

Hahaha I have to say that does intrigue me quite considerably. I am not sure I could make a visual novel stream interesting so the story might be so wild it would have me all over the place.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It is friday and I cannot WAIT to get home from work because there is Dark Souls 3 journeying to be done :D

All these sessions are like gifts to me I have planted for future me.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

I don't post in TV IV so this is the only place I can say this: goddam y'all the ending to today's Falcon and Winter Soldier :stare:

I have completely forgotten to watch any of it. This time I will have a big build up of episodes because weekly was such a trial waiting for Wandavision! :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Had a real adventure in Dark Souls 3 yesterday! Was fully steeled to prove myself to myself and went ham on making sure I fought what I could!

I beat: (going to use spoilers in case anyone here has not made it this far and is playing for the first time too)

The Old Iron Demon in the lost Izalith ruinsy place. Wicked Callback! (got them second try after running in and trying to dodge and dying immediately).
The big worm that guards him. Actually did it without using the catapault, just a lot of good positioning and twinblade attacking!
The big firey demon at the bottom of the indiana jones rope bridge.
The big gaping chest dog on the bridge to Ithryll. He was a bitey enemy!
Pontiff Suhzalaman. His gwyn attacks and splitting in two was very tricky but managed to do it in under 10 tries. I think 7 or 8 but it was hair raising at the end!
The two gaping chest dogs in the base of the tower where there are giants outside and deacons all along the balcony watching you.
The big cat spider in Anor Londo with all the squishlies and the deacons. (Not a fan of the deacons and their homing fire!!)
Creighton. Twice. (both helping an NPC and facing him alone).
Hodrick, (helping out Sirrus the NPC).
Aldrich who had taken over the body of Dark Sun Gwyndolin and was a really tough. I think I did them in about 8 or 9 tries as well. The arrow attack followed by the purple spear lances followed by the arrow attack followed by the purple spear and I had no idea when I could actually make my moves! Very small window of openings! But I did it! :)
Arla, an invader mentioned in DS2 who nearly had me dodging off a cliff to avoid an attack.

I am currently wandering around the Ithryll Dungeon and getting the pebbles scared out of me while items I pick up scream in my face, zombies chests open up and eat me, an enemy brands me and takes off my health and other zombies cheekily push me off ledges.

I love this game :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

bovis posted:

You are a powerful gamer VG :stare:

Thank you! I had so much fun and it was like all that Bloodborne infused goodness coming to the forefront of Dark Souls!

I forgot I also beat Wolnir. That one was pretty funny as I ran right into the gas and died the first time.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Harrow posted:

That's a lot to accomplish in a day of gaming! :eyepop: I'm impressed!

Thank you! I had one of the most fun sessions yesterday because of it all :)

wuggles posted:

You can get a lot done when you don’t have to wait for the estus animation

Please do not reveal patented VG Dark Souls secrets.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Happy birthday jollyboyjohn

And yeeeyy! Well done for beating Sekiro, Fridge!! Looking forward to watching these vids once I am done too! :3:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I played Cuphead for the first time yesterday.

I think it could be considered as a Dark Souls of platformers and I will try to make a bit of a link. Now it is not exactly that way as there are no 'souls' to recollect upon death, however like dark souls death is just a limitation of that run.

You do not have lives like most platformers, you can keep on trucking until you get past that moment. You could retry again and again and again and lose nothing and gain knowledge and ability to beat the path.

The big bosses that are scattered about the map can be as optional as some you find in the souls series, or as part of the game to make progress.

These bosses are bigger than you and full of patterns and require strategy and have phases (something the later entries did quite a lot in the souls series). Fighting them feels a lot like fighting a Paarl, or a Gundyr, or a Dark Lurker.

You can customise your cup dude with things that can be a boon and a detriment and rearrange your playstyle to suit what you are wearing. Very much something that is encouraged in dark souls and vital to the beating of certain areas/bosses and not the usual kind of thing for platformers (Hollow Knight withstanding - definitelly a metroidsoulsia).

You can parry in the game. Nuff said :)

Lastly it is difficult. Really difficult. Not unfair though and that is what I think the most important part of being a soulslike entails. It is easy to make something hard, but at the cost of balance and fairness. Games that try to be soulslike usually just give you fast, overpowered enemies and lots of them because hard = good.

Cuphead is tough but rewards learning like Dark Souls rewards it. I died to the first run and gun level over and over as I was getting to grips with what was in front of me. On the run in which I beat that first level, I did it without getting hit and maximum points giving me an A+ rank. I felt the same kind of happiness I felt after learning how to approach and defeat a dark souls boss.

I am crossing that bingo square off now :)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

homeless snail posted:

I won't begrudge vg for like many people, having his eyes opened by dark souls and then trying to view everything through the dark souls lens. before realizing it's just the good game design lens

I have been trying to fill out my bingo square and one of the spots "Say "x" isthe "darksouls" of"xxx" ANDJUSTIFY IT" is proving difficult because while so many reviewers say some game is the dark souls of something, it is actually not true because if it were I would not have struggled to find similar games after Bloodborne. Being the dark souls of something requires an awful lot of DNA that most games do not understand or seem unwilling to fully embrace.

Cuphead felt soulsy in places to me, but I accept it is not a direct match and Hollow Knight is probably more soulsy but does not have the boss battles that Cuphead has. Cuphead bosses feel more soulsy.

Ah, souls.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

New Super Metis posted:

I'm glad you are thinking so deeply about that bingo square. It was my favourite that I came up with.

I feel like it calls to me even more as I have been playing through the trilogy for the first time these last few months. It has given me tremendous pause to really think and consider things. Whereas before I would not have an opinion because I never played them, so all the journalist pieces going on and on was not something I could relate to.

Now it is a whole other ballgame :)

Arzaac posted:

La-Maluna

I think I have this on my PS Vita. Your interesting words have convinced me to put it on my list of games to play!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Post a Tier list Bingo Square
(No, not dark souls related, but a random tiermaker list I found with a ton of video game boxes on and the ones I have played enough to have an opinion placed where I think they should be):

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

Where is the Bad Game tier? :thunkher:

Why would there be a bad game tier?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

Iggy's Reckin Balls

The Bad Rats of Dark Souls ;)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Do PS5 controllers work on PS4? That is what Microsoft did, they dropped the Xbox One controller line, and the Series X controller works across both consoles.

Sadly they do not. My DS4 has a wonky left stick, so I got a Dualsense and hoped my 8bitdo adapter would make it work with the PS4. It works great on my Switch and PC, but not my PS4. Next step was getting the PS5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have two bosses left in Dark Souls 3 to beat this evening (Gael and Midir) and then that is it. I am done. The trilogy has been beaten.

Feeling a little lost about it. I know I have Sekiro to play, but from descriptions by people it is not really a souls game.

It is going to be weird knowing there is no more souls.