Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

https://twitter.com/danlwarren/status/1377432514403262465

apparently it's a legit research paper that started as a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

why don't more games have bo staves as primary weapons

i don't mean a wizard's-staff-with-knobs-on-the-end, or glaives, spears, partisans, anything like that

I just want a big heavy stick with which to properly clock some poor bastard/monster/bastard monster upside the chin, is that so wrong

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

no respect for little john or donatello, none at all :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

way ahead of you! (Trails defeated me with its boring start, but Estelle is cool and good)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Nioh 2 has staves as a weapon type.

Also true, and drat respectable of it! The game mostly frustrates & angers me though - after playing Sekiro I can't deal with Souls-like stamina bars anymore, and I wasn't terribly attracted to the loot game either in the first place

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Boy I sound like a grumpy cuss today, huh :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

xedo posted:

Holy hell yakuza 6 is magical.

i was playing Y7 a couple months ago and enjoying it, but even Ichiban and Supporting Cast can't rescue me from the sheer tedium of JRPG battles in the end

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

why is this poo poo game in particular getting the time of day, again

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm thinking about replaying D:E and looking at the DLC, myself, buuut

fuckin Marauders, I got used to them but I never ever liked them

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

once i asked for Street Fighter for my bday, and received Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight

it worked out in the end 'cos i enjoyed it more than i do fighting games anyway :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thinking this evening about picking up Outriders

Seems like my jam - sci fi, looter shooter, neat abilities with shorter cooldowns than e.g. Destiny - but thread opinions seem somewhat mixed

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Whizzing Wizard posted:

This sentence made me want to become a Luddite

hell, same

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

there's a game i want to play right on the edge of my mind and i can't work out what it is

arg

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ariong posted:

What elements of it do you remember?

it might not even be a single game. i remember a stardew valley sort of graphical aesthetic, but it definitely wasn't stardew. might be something like Fantasy Life for the DS except I never actually played that (:()

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

sorta thinking of picking up Ys 8 again, petered out shortly after the first... raid defense? I forget what those were called

but I think an action-y rpg like that is what i'm looking for rn

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

playing Quadrilateral Cowboy today

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i got a gaming confession: i bought super mario maker 2 on launch day and have not played it once

i also just was thinking about finally trying mario 35 only to find it's actually gone :rip:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I almost don't want to ask this because a) there's probably no good answer, and b) it's frankly embarrassing as hell, but

how do you not physically tense up, playing first person shooters?

I really only consciously noticed how bad it is last night playing Destiny 2, but it's been going on as long as I can remember. When the game situation intensifies, my mouse arm & wrist tenses, my concentration tunnels and usually my breath catches (think how you instinctively hold your breath when trying to get something heavy off the ground - kinda like that). End result is my aim goes to hell, and I usually get shot and killed from the side and don't notice until I'm on the ground. (Double all that tension in PvP, at all times until the match ends)

The usual answer is "practice to get comfortable", I know, but I've been playing FPSes for literally over 30 years now. You'd think I'd be more comfortable doing that than, e.g. talking to human beings :v: and when I'm on an easy level or activity I'm fine But, as soon as things get challenging my nerves get shot to hell, seemingly no matter what. It's immensely frustrating. :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01cCX49PAbI

too bad about the rest of the game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i want Destiny 2 but spaceships and/or fleets

does that exist

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

i want Destiny 2 but spaceships and/or fleets

does that exist

i'm real fuckin mad that star citizen is what it is, rn

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wow new dark mode actually looks real good

JoY and SA employees doin good work :toot:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i do wonder how well it'll sell. Certainly nowhere near the same degree of cheesecake

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

speaking of cyberpunk, I've been thinking about Shadowrun again recently

mostly fond memories of the Genesis game, but also thinking I never played more than an hour and a bit of any of the HBS games despite owning all 3

Which ones're the "good" ones again? I remember one was considered noticeably weaker than the rest at the time

More importantly: which ones'll let me deck my way to victory and total dominance a la the Genesis deckers? :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

if the goblinization thing happens i hope the dice roll lands on ork for me

the dystopian future better include at least some of the fun bits damnit

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Both Shadowrun Hong Kong and Shadowrun Dragonfall are noticeably better than Shadowrun Returns, which was made on a much smaller budget and by a team that was still learning as it went.

Hong Kong has the most refined mechanics and probably the best version of the Matrix interactions, but a lot of people prefer Dragonfall as a campaign/aesthetic. I think both are excellent, especially with the added content both received. Decker builds are very viable in all 3 games, although deckers are obviously not as useful in regular combat as they could be.

I recommend checking out some of the workshop content, especially "The Caldecott Caper", a fan campaign that approaches the quality of the official ones.

I can't decide if I'd rather turn into an elf (good looks, extended lifespan, possible immortality, access to dumb cults that want to rule the world) or a troll (punch through bricks, scare no good teens away from my lawn)

thanks for this. I think I'll install Dragonfall and try that again first

wonder if Riggers're any good, robots are cool

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

Also "players never look up"

guilty as hell

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I stepped down as mod today, if that's the kind of thing anyone cares about. There's no drama or behind-the-scenes goings on that caused this, just me not being a good fit for that kind of role and doing what's best for myself as well as feeling like the rest of the team (VG, Harrow, NikkolasKing and super star IK Metis) can and will make sure that Games remains one of the best places to talk about video games, on the internet.

grats on your reclaimed freedom to commit crimes against posting

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

btw that kirby is weirdly more terrifying than the one of Many Mouths

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

trying to play Like A Dragon again and boy howdy is mashing Attack or Tenacious Fist repeatedly for the first several hours the opposite of engaging

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Notable causes for sighs of contentment in video games:

Beating a dark souls boss you’ve been struggling with
Earning a compliment from Kim kitsurugi
Corrupting a level 3 Empower gem and hitting lvl 4
Decapitating a bandit outlaw with your skyforge steel battleaxe
Finally catching a legendary with an ultra ball

Suddenly realizing exactly how to end the game in Outer Wilds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i will seriously remember that moment of epiphany for a very, very long time :shobon: