Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Trios 19 15.32%
Christian vs Kaz 4 3.23%
Arcade Anarchy 96 77.42%
Tay and Shida vs Nyla and The Bunny 5 4.03%
Total: 124 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Adam Cole is 6 feet tall and leyla hirsch is 5'5, c'mon folks get it right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Alaois posted:

ohhhh i thought the pun was that their opponent would See Stars when they beat them

I thought that Sea stands for Catwoman.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

hahahaha i love this video so much. both leyla IMMEDIATELY stuffing the takedown and laughing about it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

"Sea Stars" makes me think of Dexter's Lab.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pylons posted:

I wonder if a New Years PPV would be a good idea. Last chance before the ranking reset, and the gap from Full Gear to Revolution can feel a bit long.

This is what I was expecting when I thought they'd do 5 PPVs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

When I head the name Sea Stars I was immediately confused that they weren't asian

This will probably never change

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

cams posted:

hahahaha i love this video so much. both leyla IMMEDIATELY stuffing the takedown and laughing about it.

it's like a little kid trying to tackle their parent except in this case the kid is like a foot taller

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I don't get it what's the Sea Stars pun?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Vandar posted:

Sisters

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Vandar posted:

Starfish

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The FedEx arrow of team names.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Delmi also has a space gimmick of some kind, so she’s the star part and Vox is the sea because she is a fish.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
52 weeks of weekly content isn't enough...I need four more shows I have to pay to watch and then everything would be perfect

There are a million different ways to address stories dragging out too long without adding PPVs. The obvious one is doing tentpole Dynamites in the middle of PPV runs, but honestly, you could sort out any problems just by getting a better sense of the rhythms of your story cycles and being comfortable having blowoffs for no other reason than the time is right. (This is where I launch into my hot take "Hiring writers for wrestling shows would be good, actually")

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

xbilkis posted:

52 weeks of weekly content isn't enough...I need four more shows I have to pay to watch and then everything would be perfect

There are a million different ways to address stories dragging out too long without adding PPVs. The obvious one is doing tentpole Dynamites in the middle of PPV runs, but honestly, you could sort out any problems just by getting a better sense of the rhythms of your story cycles and being comfortable having blowoffs for no other reason than the time is right. (This is where I launch into my hot take "Hiring writers for wrestling shows would be good, actually")

Tentpole Dynamites work OK but there is something about watching big events with no commercials and a longer run time that is very nice. Wrestling matches work better without commercials and watching big events with 8 matches is fun. If they are on PPV or HBOMax I don't care.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
5-6 PPVs would be great once I can socialize regularly again. Wrestling shows used to be excuses to have parties, and that would work well for that.

6 is seriously my limit though--7 to 8 sounds like rear end.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i really liked the early years of WCW when they were doing 8 ppvs a year and would be happy as dang ol heck to see AEW doing that eventually

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I think they should do 12-14 a year. three week builds is all you need, really.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

5 to 6 would be great and I agree that anything beyond that would seem like overkill.

5 seems like a good number to me - February, May, August, October, December, or something or other.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MassRafTer posted:

Tentpole Dynamites work OK but there is something about watching big events with no commercials and a longer run time that is very nice. Wrestling matches work better without commercials and watching big events with 8 matches is fun. If they are on PPV or HBOMax I don't care.

Yeah, I was thinking about the benefit of commercial-free matches when I was writing that post, which is definitely the most compelling pro-PPV argument to me. There also might be justification to have a couple of second-tier PPVs/specials once the second show launches and you have more active storylines. (I also would be way more satisfied if they did HBO Max or BR Live specials as opposed to PPVs, primarily because I don't want to have to pay for stuff, but also because it feels more like "we want to showcase our wrestlers" as opposed to "we want to do another Event to generate $$$." You could even tie it in with an expanded touring schedule once crowds are back, maybe?)

My last post was probably mostly focused on people who argue "do the important stuff on the PPV because that's where the important stuff happens," which feels like an outdated but pervasive thought process among online wrestling fans. (I also think you could ask the vast majority of matches to fit into a ~20-minute window and be fine, though. If AEW could work out ad breaks to have the occasional commercial-free main event rather than opener, that would be another good way to help strike a balance imo)

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I enjoy the picture-in-picture, restaurant quality commercial method that AEW does, it's a good compromise for the reality of broadcast television.

The constant PPV churn cycle that WWE has doesn't seem to provide any kind of benefit, as it typically goes:

1. A and B start a feud
2. A and B have a match
3. A and B have a re-match
4. A and B's surrogate have a match
5. A and B's surrogate has a rematch, A then challenges B to a Final Match with a crazy stipulation
6. Unsatisfying PPV because we've seen this all before

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

xbilkis posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about the benefit of commercial-free matches when I was writing that post, which is definitely the most compelling pro-PPV argument to me. There also might be justification to have a couple of second-tier PPVs/specials once the second show launches and you have more active storylines. (I also would be way more satisfied if they did HBO Max or BR Live specials as opposed to PPVs, primarily because I don't want to have to pay for stuff, but also because it feels more like "we want to showcase our wrestlers" as opposed to "we want to do another Event to generate $$$." You could even tie it in with an expanded touring schedule once crowds are back, maybe?)

My last post was probably mostly focused on people who argue "do the important stuff on the PPV because that's where the important stuff happens," which feels like an outdated but pervasive thought process among online wrestling fans. (I also think you could ask the vast majority of matches to fit into a ~20-minute window and be fine, though. If AEW could work out ad breaks to have the occasional commercial-free main event rather than opener, that would be another good way to help strike a balance imo)

I think the removal of NXT head to head will lead to more commercial free main events sponsored by state farm than openers.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'd way rather 4 PPVs with marquee dynamites tossed in, it makes them feel way more special/eventful

though maybe the title changes are too easy to call?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think 4 ppvs is fine but wouldn't say no to once or twice a year HBO Max specials.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

https://twitter.com/AEWonTNT/status/1379880616510976002?s=20

Sometimes I don't realize how stacked the card is each week until it's posted like this. loving pumped for tonight.

A little wary on Bunny/Tay since Bunny has never been *great* and Tay is still young but I'm still excited for the match and overall story beat.

Also, it's nice that there are like 3 or 4 women's stories happening right now.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Edit: very wrong thread but i still want a million dollars

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
If you want to spend more money and watch fewer commercials, invest in AEW Plus on Fite and use a VPN (which can be free for these purposes).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gonna watch so much wrestling this week holy balls

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dang, IWTV starts their Mania Week stuff tomorrow too. I think they have shows going from noon onward? Gonna make for some good background content while I'm working the rest of the week.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I would be onboard with a few HBO Max Specials or something like that in liew of increasing the PPV Count seasonally is I think the best option. Speaking of, is there any indication that Double or Nothing is going to be somewhere other then Duuuuuuvaalll?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I cannot stop listening to Platinum Max's new Hangman song.

send help.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

LionYeti posted:

I would be onboard with a few HBO Max Specials or something like that in liew of increasing the PPV Count seasonally is I think the best option. Speaking of, is there any indication that Double or Nothing is going to be somewhere other then Duuuuuuvaalll?

They said it'll be at Daily's.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I'm gonna try out Fite.tv with a VPN to watch tonight. Does anyone have suggestions for low-cost/free VPN I can use for my 1 week trial of fite?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I know, I really should have watched Dark/Dark Elf live but :effort: and now the DDT and TJPW shows have dropped. And I still cannot escape Max Caster's Hangman rap.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Havoc904 posted:

I'm gonna try out Fite.tv with a VPN to watch tonight. Does anyone have suggestions for low-cost/free VPN I can use for my 1 week trial of fite?

windscribe addon for Chrome, 10 gigs a month free, I just use it to get the Fite stream going, then turn it off

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nord VPN is always pretty cheap with deals that YouTube people and podcast people are always doing. I got 3 years unlimited for less than $100.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'd rather them not do a HBOMax thing, because I don't have HBOMax. I'd be up for an occasional Saturday special, if they're going to move PPVs to Sunday. (Or a Sunday special if they're not)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

shiksa posted:

hell yea good for them thats awesome

put me down for not understanding the "sea stars" pun EVEN THO my ex and her sisters used to pronounce it the exact same way as an in joke lol

I finally loving got it!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
lmao.

please, I can't keep listening to this song.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 7, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1379918747016835080

This is just so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Probably won't be able to catch Dynamite tonight. My 2nd vaccine dose has made me pretty drowsy. I'll catch the replay tomorrow. Ya'll have fun in the GDT