Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Trios 19 15.32%
Christian vs Kaz 4 3.23%
Arcade Anarchy 96 77.42%
Tay and Shida vs Nyla and The Bunny 5 4.03%
Total: 124 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
this episode ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Just gonna see if QT does a reveal of his new co-trainer and it turns out to be Jake the Snake with Archer looming behind him

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

sticklefifer posted:

I love that there's a serious lack of "get your poo poo in" on AEW programming. It's never just Signature Move, Signature Move, Signature Move, Pin. They get to do their spots, but not all of them in every match, and they're also allowed to innovate.

Yeah that's true, but I still want fuego to master his ddt and destroy someone for a 3 count

One day

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

collocation posted:

Outside of kayfabe, the guy apparently wants to run for office, and inside of it, he sounded like a lovely rich Republican to me.

That's actually who he is lol

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/JackEvans711/status/1378468995590987782

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
they don't even like each other!

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
looking forward to brandon cutler turning into an actual dragon

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
why are we putting darby against murderous psychopaths, are we literally trying to kill him

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Processing time?

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
rear end battles. rear end battles all around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJbt2vJIFvs

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Ki Sei is the next kenny omega, you heard it here first

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
have marko slinking around behind the announce desk and i'm sold

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I've been interested in Cezar Bononi's story ever since his deal with his wife's leukemia and AEW helping out, and holy poo poo NXT screws over the talent.

quote:

“Of course I had talked to WWE before about applying for a Green Card. They never wanted to help me out with that. They said my case wasn’t strong enough, that it was better for me to stay on [a] P1 visa, which my wife cannot work any place. I can only work [for] WWE. If they fire me, I gotta go back [to Brazil] so there was a little bit of interest [for] them having me on that instead of a Green Card.

quote:

We did not have money to do anything. It took me two and a half years to go to [an] amusement park, living in Orlando, because money was so short that I could not do anything like that. It took them [WWE] a long time for them to help me out a little bit. Like, ‘Hey, here’s a raise.’ It took me almost two years. So, I was getting $600 for like six months [per week] then, when I finally got paid off, it felt like a raise because I was getting $750. Oh cool, I can buy a TV right now, but I cannot get cable and that’s how it was.

Man had so many matches in NXT and they still didn't teach him basic poo poo that he had to learn from Shawn Spears's school in a novice training camp:

quote:

But, I’ve been working there. They have like an eight-week course. I did the first eight-week course, it was great. I learned so many things that I never learned at the WWE. So many things. Like I never learned how to do a false finish. Over there in eight weeks, I was doing matches with three, four false finishes. I learned so many things, I [met] so many people.

And of course, he goes into the vibe of AEW compared to WWE. Apparently he was so isolated from non-WWE stuff that he had to basically cold call Shawn Spears to even start networking in the industry.

quote:

“Whenever I got my papers, first thing, just hit up Tye Dillinger, Ronnie and he got me in contact with the guys from AEW, they invited me over, I went there. They treated me so good, different environment that I had no idea how to behave. I was like [how] I was in the WWE. Looking, not much looking people in the eyes, I had no idea what to do until one point, one of the refs just came to me and said, ‘Look, you’re not at the other place anymore. Just relax, talk to people, everybody’s cool’ and it’s true. Everybody’s cool, everybody [will] talk to you. Tony Khan called me by my name from far away, ‘Hey Cezar! How are you?’ And I was… like such a different environment.”

quote:

"People like me, who have no contract, have the opportunity to show their work and tell a better story and show their talent and character. Which I could never do in WWE. The same at house shows. I couldn't do much. Training with Shawn Spears and Tyler Breeze and I feel like I improved a lot. I'm having more opportunities to do more in the 5 matches I've had in AEW than in the 300 matches I've had in WWE."

There was someone who mentioned that Dark performers seem to improve by leaps and bounds compared to NXT in a shorter amount of time, and I thought Cezar's interviews were pretty fascinating in that aspect.

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 7, 2021

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
He also said Billy Gunn is mentoring him too, can't imagine a better pairing

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

DLC Inc posted:

Genuinely disturbing and hosed up how twitchy guys like Cezar are after escaping the hellscape of NXT/WWE

In dog training terms, you would call this learned helplessness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I enjoy the picture-in-picture, restaurant quality commercial method that AEW does, it's a good compromise for the reality of broadcast television.

The constant PPV churn cycle that WWE has doesn't seem to provide any kind of benefit, as it typically goes:

1. A and B start a feud
2. A and B have a match
3. A and B have a re-match
4. A and B's surrogate have a match
5. A and B's surrogate has a rematch, A then challenges B to a Final Match with a crazy stipulation
6. Unsatisfying PPV because we've seen this all before