Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

bird food bathtub posted:

I believe that was the Nestle CEO saying he doesn't view water as a human right, it should be a source of profit.

This is, for those keeping track, one of the lesser evil things to come from Nestle.

Was it nestle that was given rights to bottle the fresh water near Flint, while the residents of Flint had to drink poison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Alex Jones is trending on twitter right now because apparently he just happened to see some child smugglers loading up a van in downtown across the street from Alex and an entire camera crew.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

orange juche posted:

So are they doing this pistol brace thing via EO or an actual bill?

The ATF has the power to redefine all sorts of stuff in order to ban or allow things without any legislative or executive action taken. The EO from Trump that banned bump stocks didn’t need to be one, he could’ve just sent them an email or a tweet to have the ATF redefine them.

Installing a former gun control lobbyist who also thinks Waco was A-Ok is probably going to lead to a lot of new policy letters in the next few years.

No discussion of actually enforcing any of the current laws on the books, like chasing down straw purchasers etc.

Just another move from the Biden admin to follow Liberal policies and flip off the Left instead of material improvements

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Plus the Stargate SG-1 Groundhog Day plot was the best episode.

Episode 200 was pretty close

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Stravag posted:

Was that the one where they spent 70 years in a ship then rewound time?

No it was the one where they pitch different ideas for the Wormhole Extreme movie

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

US Berder Patrol posted:

I think I got lucky with finding one that's right next to my buddy's house, and we're in a community with lots of GI Bill-educated GWOT vets. We've discussed dragging a bunch of our non-chud veteran friends into the place and taking over the machinery of it, which indeed seems like what the old chuds want us to do. In all honesty, I bet we have enough Front Range gippers to have our own literal clubhouse lol

edit: I mean a clubhouse at some point in the future where it won't just turn into a covid var P1 cluster

I’d be down for this, but I looked it up and apparently I’m not eligible to join because my enlistment was spent stateside :rolleyes:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

This comment made me think of the joke someone posted (probably accurate) of a fictional Command Master Chief visiting a suicide attempt sailor in hospital and asking if he completed his suicide awareness training and I got a good laugh to myself

I was chosen to lead my command’s suicide awareness brief a couple of months after I had returned from emergency leave because my sister had committed suicide, and while I was in weekly counseling sessions because I had self reported to mental health after recognizing a few red flags.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Somebody learned the wrong lesson from those old Magpul training outtakes where they had a target that was a nun with an AK

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

In addition to hellish test anxiety, DLI also gave me the ability to impress Arab restaurant owners and get extra falafel on the regular

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

orange juche posted:

Bail money is bullshit but kyle rittenhouse should have never had bail set for him, just loving leave him in there until his trial.

Yeah either somebody is a clear and present threat to society or they’re not. Having the money to make bail doesn’t mean somebody is less of a threat, it has the exact opposite effect of being a demonstration of the resources they can use to cause additional harm to society.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Imagine if the two worst teams in MLB got thrown out of the league and had to play AAA Minor the next year, and the two best AAA teams moved up to MLB.

That's how european football actually works, and billionaires who have been buying the top-level teams have tried to change this to protect their investments, first by trying and failing to change the rules of the top level league and now, yesterday, quite literally taking their ball and going home and saying "Well fine, we'll just start our own league, with whiskey and hookers"

For more info I recommend the docu-series Ted Lasso

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah they did, which is odd because their primary customers are Right wing military member guys.

I'd argue their primary customers WISH they were AD/Vets

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Now let's move forward with his tax fraud cases just to be safe

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Would be a shame for a Blue Flu epidemic to spring up while we're still deep into the COVID pandemic

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I want to say the cop should have tased her much earlier when he first saw her swinging the knife around at people instead of waiting until the last minute, but he might have easily done another whoopsie and thought he was holding his taser when he had his gun out.

My main issue with saying that the victim was using lethal force and so lethal force was justified in response, is that okay maybe if a family member or neighbor of the person being attacked had used a CCW and shot the girl with the knife, I’d understand that. That makes some amount of sense.

But a cop should be held to a higher standard. Their job isn’t to murder anybody who acts threateningly. Their job should be to deescalate and pacify situations so that the justice system can sort it out later. If you’re going to be a BLUE LINE SHEEPDOG then you need to actually prove you deserve the immunities and privileges granted to you by acting with a level of bravery above and beyond what should be expected of an average person. Which means you can’t just start blasting when things happen, you’ve gotta be willing to put yourself between danger and the community members you serve. And in this case that means the at least 4 cops present should have used their tasers and their physical bodies to restrain the teenage girl with a knife when it first became clear she was a threat instead of waiting until she was mid-swing on her second target before executing her.

iKon posted:

She never used lethal force and the cop did. Stop justifying police murder.

Uh, a knife is definitely lethal force.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

iKon posted:

Ok. So maybe she swung it at the other girl, but it's too hard to tell from the video. Maybe she was about to swing it at the girl in pink. Maybe.

If you were Ma’Khia Bryant's father, would you say that cop was justified in putting four bullets into your daughter and killing her after doing nothing other than jumping out of the car and saying "hey, hey, hey, hey, get down, get down, get down, get down?"

Are you trying to pretend that I said the cop was in any way justified in shooting her? Because I explicitly said that I don't think he was justified in the post you quoted.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

iKon posted:

No, because I wasn’t quoting you on any of that.

Oh?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

davecrazy posted:

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1386674718015692805?s=21

What’s the potential fallout here? “Constitutional” carry nationwide?

MAYBE setting the minimum at shall-issue instead of allowing states like NY and CA to have may-issue (if you’re rich/connected enough). Possibly national reciprocity but we’re a long ways off from that.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

My main issue with vegans are the types who claim it’s the only ecologically ethical and sustainable diet, meanwhile they’re almost exclusively urban and need all their food shipped in to them and think that populations in arid or remote communities need to grow more beans in the Arctic circle or the savannah.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah if y’all wanna talk and bash weird culty poo poo that’s terrible for you, then keto is at the forefront imo. Let two keto people find themselves out on the wild, it’s weird.

Is keto a copy/paste of Atkins? I remember at one point there was Atkins labeled food at the grocery store, then he died, and the fad went away for 10-15 years

Keto predates Atkins and was originally a diet to help reduce the rate of seizures in epileptic children. Atkins just looked at the fat-burning aspect of it and commercialized ketosis as a desirable state.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Best Friends posted:

I have a huge lay interest in anthropology, so when I first heard about the "Paleo diet" I was intrigued at the concept I imagined it meant. i don't know how you'd manage to live as a hunter gatherer these days but if you can pull it off more power to you.

So I looked it up and Jesus Christ lol wtf is that. Just say you're keto. Calling that stuff Paleo is a huge insult to the entire Paleolithic

Paleo is definitely a much better diet than ketosis, but it’s also not really based on any historical reality for sure. If you’re ketogenic on a paleo diet you’re avoiding a lot of really important staples like sweet potatoes and fruits and nuts for no reason.

It’s an interesting concept and can teach people how to eat cleaner, but yeah it has very little if anything at all to do with actual hunter-gatherer diets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

Oh man, I never thought it'd be me walking the line of :biotruths: but LEEETS GOOOO

Sure in the average human a lady can beat a dude and a translady can beat a transdude in a fight and every combination can fite. Ezpz so many examples.

When you are comparing humans at their peak performance trained as a killing machines 6 days a week, 10 hours a day, chasing chickens and eating them whole, in the service of competing a heavily regimented sport combat ~then~ there are stark differences between the capabilities of a dude, a lady, a transdude, and a translady. Depending on the pathway chosen to transition, there's many disqualifying drugs and procedures that have a performance altering affect on the human. For it to be equitable for the competitors the individual trans would have to transition like buckwild early like childhood, which like cool if they exist, and cool if they fall into mma, but the specific mma example of Fallon Fox really bothered me. The other competitors were not informed of Fallon's transition until after Fallon broke a fighter's skull. Sure the board knew, but gently caress the board they only in it for money.

You should do more reading before you dig any deeper on this and before you spread around any more unintentionally transphobic misinformation.

Here, give this website a read. Maybe check out some of the studies cited. Definitely read through the case studies.

I'll go one step further though and really make this a lot easier for you

See those green pips distributed all the way across the spectrum? Yeah those are female athletes with testosterone levels higher then most of the male athletes tested for the study. This isn't getting in to the range of responsiveness individuals have which makes comparing hormone level to hormone level meaningless as a metric.

We also need to touch on the fact that there are XX males and XY females as well, who can have different conditions that cause their bodies to develop one way or another.

Physical sex is such a broad range of different combinations of physical features and chemical compositions that there's always going to be a wide range of overlap in physical capabilities between even elite athletes. It's the whole reason that female troops are viable, there are enough females who meet the performance cutoffs.

That's also ignoring the idea that the cis athletes aren't using steroids and other enhancements. Athletes in all sports get caught doing that all the time, it's basically an arms race of developing new dosing protocols and different formulations versus developing new tests to detect the dosing.