Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

That Works posted:

No that was an older dude out in a Southwest state if I remember correctly

Paul Gosar of Arizona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N-m83vYr-Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The sheer scale of humanitarian tragedy that accompanied the fall of the Soviet Union in Russia really can't be overemphasized. Life expectancy fell from 70 in 1987 (compared to 75 in the US) a full five years to 65 in 1994, with the life expectancy of men in particular plummeting all the way to 57. Putin's a monster in his own right, but it's also understandable why many Russians prefer the relative peace and stability of his regime compared to the unrest and disaster of the preceding two decades.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ASAPI posted:

Now I want a Roger Rabbit reboot with Leslie Nielsen...

... I've got some bad news

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I would say it's as good as ghostbusters.

Ghostbusters blows

Without question the worst opinion you've ever posted

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

My memory of the movie was taped off TV so I never saw the scene until I was in college. It really should have been cut.

It was originally part of a longer scene, but it got (mostly) cut since it didn't fit into the film's pacing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That'll have to go on the list if and when I ever make it back to the states.

New Orleans is a great place to visit, the food alone is incredible.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
A while back, there was a goon who was a Chicago cop in the '60s and had a thread about his experiences, with an emphasis on how corrupt it all was. There were two questions and responses that stuck with me—

quote:

I was the one that asked about the Chicago Police in the other thread... I'm still considering applying, because if you really look at how police departments have changed in the last 30 years, the prospects of things being different are good in my opinion... but if they aren't, I can always leave after a few years and go work somewhere else. I've got some time yet to get more info about the department before I apply, so no rush.

One of my co-workers is a former Milwaukee cop, and he has some similar stories that are just great... though bustin a few heads is about the most rule breaking he's ever hinted at.

quote:

I hope that it has changed but I don't underestimate the difficulty of changing a closed culture like that without first firing everyone and starting over. Each new class leaves the academy, is scattered throughout the city and each begins to learn the 'way it really is'. If they have somehow managed to change I'd love to know how but never will. I never will because no serving cop would every tell the things I've told. Only a year or so after leaving I met a vice-cop I'd not known before at a party and started talking to him. In spite of my having only been gone a year, I was not one of them anymore. He swore up and down that he'd never seen any corruption at all. I just smiled and said I understand and walked away.

quote:

Now that you've experienced all this, do you have any insight as to how little league corruption like this could be stamped out?

quote:

None.

Well, maybe, but I doubt anyone would do it. First demote everyone above the rank of Captain back to that rank and bring in outsiders to replace them. Transfer the entire internal affairs division and look for evidence of those rare cops who could not be subverted. The guys who wrote the mayor a ticket, made a few arrests for bribery, etc. This might be the hardest part to find. Then let everyone know that IA will be actively seeking them out and will not simply respond to citizen complaints. Then go out and sting the hell out of them for years. Then maybe the new recruit out of the academy might be told by the old timer to play it straight or they'll get you. "Not like the good old days."

Obviously the emphasis in these questions/responses was on corruption, but racism and brutality are almost certainly the same way. Generations of cops have been trained to think to shoot first and project authority, and the institutional culture has been baked in to a level that would make it almost impossible to eradicate without an extremely thorough sweep, which would be almost impossible for any municipality to actually undertake. Changing police training and ejecting David Grossman into the sun would help, but reforming policing in America is going to be a long, painful road no matter how it happens.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

shame on an IGA posted:

fuuuck I did not think that was 16 years ago

Yeah, they were some really neat threads. Apparently he's passed away since then.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Godholio posted:

You think this started in the 1800s? :lol:

I think that there's a lot of people that use "capitalism" as a critique of a lot of stuff that is really more the result of greed and shortsightedness, which are traits that go back to the dawn of human history. Capitalist economic systems obviously and openly reward greed and shortsightedness, but it's far from an exclusive feature of that system, and in other systems those traits often simply manifest in different ways.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Okay, explain to me how Capital using capital to lobby in the interests of Capital has nothing to with capitalism, please, because you've lost me.

It's an example of an overstressed bureaucratic system only responding to those with influence and power. Capitalism just determines who has the most influence and power (i.e. those with the most money), in other systems it would be who has the most familial connections, who's highest up in the party, etc.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Really diving into pedantry to give Capital a pass

I mean I'm not trying to give it a pass, because like I said capitalism rewards greed and shortsightedness in really, really open and obvious ways. It's a system that inherently begets inequality and rewards ruthlessness and inhumanity. I just get cynical when people talk about problems with the implication that getting rid of capitalism would solve them, when imo that's not really the case.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ASAPI posted:

This is interesting.

I agree that police and the word "revenue" should never be in the same room. I also get that minorities are disproportionately targeted for minor offenses that generate this "revenue".

What is the end state though? No more speed limits (or maybe their enforcement?) because of the way the law is enforced? Should the tickets issued by any given official need to fit the distribution of the locality to ensure minorities aren't being targeted? Even if the police force is abolished and then radically changed, this issue will still be kicking around.

Let's say we get the enforcement to be considered "impartial" (I don't know, speed cameras?). Smart money is that we will still see a minority group disproportionately represented due to some other issue they have, like needing to commute longer distances due to housing cost and pay discrepancy. (I don't know exactly what, but America is good at making systems that screw over minorities.)

Even with "impartial" enforcement, the fines still work as a "poor tax", the wealthy still don't care about $300. Do we maybe need laws that are fewer in number, but broader in scope that only matter in the event of injury or property destruction?

I'm trying to figure out how fully fix something like this without turning the local interstate/highway into a Fury Road re-enactment.

I think you might have misread the article—it's not suggesting an end to traffic stops for speeding or running red lights (And in fact specifically calls out those kinds of stops as having a measurable effect on safety), but instead is pointing out how so many traffic stops are motivated not by safety, but instead to generate revenue through tickets for poo poo like failing to signal, having an obstructed license plate,* or other bullshit that effectively acts as a pretext for the police to pull you over at will. There is absolutely plenty of room to keep cops around to catch drunk drivers and knock people doing 45 in a suburb, while also vastly reducing the number of potential infractions that even the best drivers may run afoul of unknowingly and exist only to give excuses to pull people over and issue bullshit fines.

*Hey, that plastic cover that the dealership put on top of your license plate that you're too lazy to remove? Guess what, it can be an excuse to pull you over! Take that poo poo off!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

hobbesmaster posted:

Do you know exactly how many feet to turn that signal on before your turn?

Yeah, this is what cops will catch a lot of people on for these kinds of stops, because in these cases it's not actually about signaling properly, but instead a pretext to pull someone over, run their plates, see if they have any outstanding warrants/fines (often from previous bullshit stops), and potentially issue some new ones. It's an inherently corrupt and predatory system.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

kraken! posted:

Why not just build out mass transit? Can't get pulled over for speeding on the bus.

See you would think that, but there's actually a documentary on the subject.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

:psyboom: what the gently caress kind of training is this

e: they literally took the loving shooting gallery scene from Men In Black and went "you know, Will Smith's character makes a good point" :shuckyes:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

boop the snoot posted:

The House is voting on DC statehood today.

Is there any reason to give a poo poo? Does it have a chance of getting through all the way to statehood?

How would this open the door for PR?

Like most of the other bills the House has passed this session, DOA until something changes with the filibuster.

PR is more complicated. There's actually two bills that are currently being considered right now—one that would fund a "this time for realsies" direct referendum on statehood that would result in automatic admission if successful, and a "Self-determination" bill that would fund a convention that would explore more options (Statehood, various changes in territorial status, independence, etc.) before sending out various recommendations out to be voted on.

The argument for the Self-Determination Bill is straightforward—it allows PR to explore the widest variety of options available, not just statehood. On the other hand, it would be a longer, more deliberative process with an unclear timeline and muddied results, that may ultimately end as "mostly the same but slightly different" status for PR. The pure Statehood bill also has the argument backing it that PR just had a statehood referendum that passed with a clear majority back in November with relatively high turnout—so why bother wasting time when we already know what the majority of Puerto Ricans want?

Anyway, these two bills are battling in committee, one will eventually be chosen, and will probably pass—unlike DC statehood, PR isn't a slam-dunk +2 D Senators, so the statehood bills already have some Republican support and might not be filibustered.

So, that's where things are right now.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
lol

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I got my second Pfizer shot on Saturday and other than some minor soreness I felt completely fine with both shots. Luck of the draw!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd imagine the DNC is already considering ways to alter/redistrict NY-14 to gently caress over AOC.

I know people use "the DNC" as a catchall for establishment democrats, but the DNC has absolutely nothing to do with state-level redistricting. Just say New York Dems! :argh:

Anyway, the district is going to be redrawn regardless (As it was in 2011 and 2001), but it's not gonna matter—AOC is a well-known and popular figure who's going to win the primary in any district she runs in, so trying to intentionally gently caress her over is pointless. In other states/situations there could be some danger from her district getting eliminated entirely, forcing her to go against another incumbent democrat, but the NY state dems aren't going to do that while there's a full 8 Republican-held seats they can gently caress over instead (particularly given she'd win regardless, she got 75% of the vote in her last primary).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

A Bad Poster posted:

The answer is to not have sports divided by gender, and also to allow athletes to use whatever PEDs they want. That's why you have different leagues. The absolute monsters end up at the top league and it filters down from there based on natural ability and skill.

The problem with unlimited PEDs is that many of them are really destructive and the people at the most risk of getting hosed up by them aren't the top-tier athletes, but the people on the roster bubble who feel they need the boost to stay on the team. There's also the issue of PEDs filtering down into youth sports, where kids are encouraged to gently caress themselves up in order to go pro.

Like, pro sports already fucks people up in a large number of ways, throwing PEDs on top of that is a pretty big overall negative imo

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

bird food bathtub posted:

Boy Scouts did this for me. Camping on a mountain (well OK really big hill) top during the perseid meteor shower is amazing and if I ever have kids they'll do it too.

I still remember as a kid going on a camping trip to Cole Canoe Base up in northern Michigan, looking up, and seeing more stars than I had ever seen before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

McNally posted:

This derail is okay, it's not getting in the way of anything.

Also your lack of Red Baron, Aces of the Pacific, or Aces Over Europe is noted and will be reflected in your next performance review.

where does rogue squadron fit in