Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/1377471225845460992?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Never bring a knife to a gun fight.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/jkbjournalist/status/1378079240906760195?s=21

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nystral posted:

It’s the Daily Mail though...

Yeah, but the person retweeting it is the reporter that broke the Epstein stuff AFAIK.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

PookBear posted:

well yeah its called veterans of foreign wars

:smug:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

bulletsponge13 posted:

I have medal plates to get out of tickets.

It loving works.

Yeah, that's the only reason I'd get them but I'm still leery of associating my car with military/vet culture. My DL has a veteran identifier on it so while it won't stop me from getting pulled over it might help once they're actually reading it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

PookBear posted:

Like I'm not sure what you've done that makes you think you should qualify for belonging in a community for vets that fought overseas.

Again, my GWOT Expeditionary Medal from Kuwait qualifies. :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/0aYhB8S.mp4

🔊

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The American Legion and VFW suck, I don't see why you'd join them at this point TBH.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs...ingawful.com%2F

Pretty sure it's larger than any of trumps DoD budgets but sure okay

DoD number only go up

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

bulletsponge13 posted:

We have those. We have Bolowraps. We have 36 flavors of tazer type weapons. Maybe my Grunt mind is fried from doing the same job in Baghdad, but if you feel you can't do a cop's job without a gun, you shouldn't carry one.

I've seriously had enough and would prefer a new branch added to the DOD to take over all domestic LE. We nees to have standards and responsibility. Right now, we pay them to subugate.

I don’t hate this idea. Small military branch (possibly a third strictly National Guard aligned branch for Title 32 v. Title 10 reasons?) fully under UCMJ that handles armed LE stuff only to the extent absolutely necessary such as violent felonies, active shooter situations, major event security, etc. but does not respond to calls that don’t ordinarily require an armed response. The FBI can stay in their current investigative/CI role. All other normal state/local LE duties are replaced by social/medical workers, parking checkers or unarmed state investigators. etc.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

SlowBloke posted:

This is what happens in Italy, there are two branches of police which coverage mundane stuff and a third one (Carabinieri) with military training that gets called for hard stuff(including overseas policing ops with the army).

Yeah that’s the model I’m thinking of, or Gendarmes in France. With it being a Title 32 force you could leave it nominally under state control outside of federal mobilizations under Title 10 for foreign service. Governors or large city mayors could have some operational control over things on a day to day basis while the military (i.e. going through NGB or whatever channels under DoD) would be responsible for training/equipping/administrative + disciplinary stuff. Regardless of Title 32/10 status, write the law so they’re subject to UCMJ at all times.

TLDR: you build a new national police force with uniform standards/training + subject to UCMJ under the National Guard.

Also I would imagine this force being pretty small since most day to day police calls would be taken over by non-armed first responders anyway.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

Y'all reinvented SWAT.

except they're not going to be responding to misdemeanor crimes or pulling people over for traffic poo poo (and shooting them)

quote:

One of my co-workers is a former Milwaukee cop, and he has some similar stories that are just great... though bustin a few heads is about the most rule breaking he's ever hinted at.

quote:

On the evening of October 23, 2004, Frank Jude and his friend, Lovell Harris, who is black, were invited by Kirsten Antonissen and Katie Brown to a housewarming party being hosted by police officer Andrew Spengler at his Bay View, Milwaukee home. Many of the persons at the party were off-duty Milwaukee police officers.

Upon arriving at Andrew Spengler's home, Jude and Harris told Antonissen that they felt uncomfortable and therefore wanted to leave. The group quickly left and shortly after doing so, Andrew Spengler reported that his wallet, which contained his police badge, was missing. At least ten men who were at Spengler's home went outside and confronted Jude, Harris, Antonissen, and Brown.[2] Among the off-duty officers who confronted the group were Andrew Spengler, Jon Bartlett, Daniel Masarik, Ryan Packard, Ryan Lemke, Jon Clausing, and Joseph Stromei.

The off-duty officers identified themselves as police officers and focused their attention upon Jude and Harris, demanding to know where the badge was. Both men denied taking the badge. When Jude and the others stayed inside Antonessen's truck, the mob threatened them, saying "friend of the family, we can kill you."[2]

During this confrontation, Ryan Packard took Jude to the ground, where other off-duty officers held him down and searched him for the badge. The off-duty officers demanded that Jude tell them where the badge was and while doing so repeatedly punched and kicked him. Another officer, Jon Clausing, cut Harris's face with a knife; Harris freed himself and ran away.[2]

Kirsten Antonissen called 9-1-1 and reported that people who were claiming to be police officers were beating up her friend. While talking to the 9-1-1 dispatcher, Antonissen reported that a uniformed officer had responded to the scene and that he too began beating Frank Jude. This on-duty officer, Joseph Schabel, arrived at the scene and upon learning that Jude was suspected of stealing a police badge, repeatedly stomped on the suspect's head until others could hear bones breaking, while his partner, Nicole Martinez, watched.[2] Other officers grabbed the phone from Antonissen and threw her against the truck, denting it.[2] Brown also made two phone calls to 9-1-1 before her phone was seized.[2]

Apologizing to Martinez, Masarik lifted Jude off the ground and kicked him in the crotch. Then Bartlett took Schabel's pen and shoved it into both of Jude's ear canals, causing Jude to scream and squirm in extreme pain and resulting in significant injury. The mob broke two of Jude's fingers by bending them back until they snapped.[2] Spengler put a gun to Jude's head and threatened to kill him. Additionally, during this incident, Bartlett used a knife to cut off Jude's leather jacket and pants, leaving him naked in the street.[2]

Frank Jude was initially arrested on suspicion of theft and quickly loaded into a police van and transported to the hospital for treatment of his numerous injuries. The admitting physician took photographs because there were so many injuries to document.[2] The injury to Jude's ears was so severe that emergency room physicians could not diagnose it immediately because they could not control the bleeding.[2]

No one was ever charged with the theft of the badge and the badge was never found.[2]

quote:

In 1994, two Milwaukee police officers, Gabriel Bedoya and John Koch, went on a shooting spree in the city of Chicago. They fired shots at random into buildings on the Gold Coast of Chicago, including the residence of Cardinal Joseph Bernardin. When denied entry to a nightclub, Bedoya shot the bouncer at close range in the head, killing him, and the two fled back to Milwaukee.[29]

quote:

A Milwaukee policeman charged in the April choking death of a man at the off-duty officer's home had his first court appearance Wednesday.

Michael Mattioli, 32, is charged with first-degree reckless homicide in the death of Joel Acevedo the morning after a party at Mattioli's house, according to the criminal complaint.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/milwaukee-off-duty-cop-charged-choking-death-joel-acevedo/index.html

Plenty more where that came from including numerous murders or stuff like giving one of Jeffrey Dahmer's victims back to him:

quote:

On the afternoon of May 26, 1991, Dahmer encountered a 14-year-old Lao teenager named Konerak Sinthasomphone on Wisconsin Avenue. By coincidence, Sinthasomphone was the younger brother of the boy whom Dahmer had molested in 1988.[136] He approached the youth with an offer of money to accompany him to his apartment to pose for Polaroid pictures. According to Dahmer, Sinthasomphone was initially reluctant to the proposal, before changing his mind and accompanying Dahmer to his apartment, where the youth posed for two pictures in his underwear before Dahmer drugged him into unconsciousness and performed oral sex on him.[137]

On this occasion, Dahmer drilled a single hole into Sinthasomphone's skull, through which he injected hydrochloric acid into the frontal lobe.[137] Before Sinthasomphone fell unconscious, Dahmer led the boy into his bedroom, where the body of 31-year-old Tony Hughes, whom Dahmer had killed three days earlier, lay naked on the floor.[138] According to Dahmer, he "believed [that Sinthasomphone] saw this body", yet did not react to seeing the bloated corpse—likely because of the effects of the sleeping pills he had ingested and the hydrochloric acid Dahmer had injected through his skull. Sinthasomphone soon became unconscious, whereupon Dahmer drank several beers while lying alongside him before leaving his apartment to drink at a bar, then purchase more alcohol.[139]

In the early morning hours of May 27, Dahmer returned toward his apartment to discover Sinthasomphone sitting naked on the corner of 25th and State, talking in Lao, with three distressed young women standing near him.[140][141] Dahmer approached the women and told them that Sinthasomphone (whom he referred to by the alias John Hmong)[142][143] was his friend, and attempted to lead him to his apartment by the arm. The three women dissuaded Dahmer, explaining they had phoned 9-1-1.[144]

Upon the arrival of three Milwaukee police officers, John Balcerzak, Joseph Gabrish and Richard Porubcan,[145] Dahmer's demeanor relaxed: he told the officers that Sinthasomphone was his 19-year-old boyfriend, that he had drunk too much following a quarrel,[146] and that he frequently behaved in this manner when intoxicated. The three women were exasperated, and when one of the trio attempted to indicate to one of the officers that Sinthasomphone was bleeding from his rectum and that he had seemingly struggled against Dahmer's attempts to walk him to his apartment, the officer harshly informed her to "butt out",[147] "shut the hell up" and to not interfere.[148][149]

Against the protests of the three women, the three officers simply covered Sinthasomphone with a towel and walked him to Dahmer's apartment where,[150] in an effort to verify his claim that he and Sinthasomphone were lovers, Dahmer showed the officers the two semi-nude Polaroid pictures he had taken of the youth the previous evening. Though Balcerzak said he smelled nothing unusual, Gabrish later stated he noted a strange scent reminiscent of excrement inside the apartment.[151] This odor emanated from the decomposing body of Hughes.[152][153] Dahmer stated that to investigate this odor, one officer simply "peeked his head around the bedroom but really didn't take a good look." The officers then left, with a departing remark that Dahmer "take good care" of Sinthasomphone.[154] This incident was listed by the officers as a "domestic dispute."

:allears: (gently caress MPD too)

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 12, 2021

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:911:

Is anyone really surprised that it's racism? It's always racism.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Bored As gently caress posted:

Watch this channel PoliceActivity to see a lot of "good" shoots (meaning justifiable uses of deadly force, not "good" in the fact that someone was shot). I think people are underestimating the amount of times where deadly force is justified in police shootings. There's a lot of bad shoots out there, and way too much police brutality. But there are plenty of legally justifiable shoots where guys are shooting at police or charging at them with knives.

The channel also shows some really bad fuckups in some videos, too - bad tactics, bad deescalation attempts, or bad shoots, or shoots that shouldn't have happened at all had different tactics been used. Don't read the comments though, they're cancerous.

Warning: people get shot in these vids
https://youtu.be/Kzz5yDAu6c0
https://youtu.be/ha5AHSPps18
https://youtu.be/G8LzNSbPhZA

Sure, and some of these illustrate the scenarios when an armed responder of some sort is needed. But on the flip side a lot of these scenarios wouldn't have happened to begin with if there was no police contact with the offenders to provoke them.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Bored As gently caress posted:

That's a very good point. There are definitely are scenarios where the cops shouldn't have been called. You can see on PoliceActivity and other bodycam YouTube channels plenty of instances where cops shouldn't have been called. There are absolutely some calls where a mobile mental health crisis team would've been able to resolve the issue. I absolutely believe social workers need to be integrated into police departments, and respond alongside cops to mental health calls where the guy is threatening himself or his family. If the social worker can't help the guy, then and only then should the cops intervene.

There's even more instances where if cops were Crisis Intervention Team trained, they might have been able to talk down a guy, or not escalate a situation by saying the wrong thing. All cops should be trained in verbal deescalation techniques more than just a few hours at the academy. It needs to be ingrained from the very start. Which is why national police standards and certification is one of the only realistic solutions to prevent a lot of these incidents.

The book Verbal Judo goes over basically how all cops should act. Unfortunately it's not taught widely enough.

Or better yet, don't have cops respond at all for calls that aren't immediately violent unless it turns that way.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

MA-Horus posted:

How is beer in America so cheap, a 12 pack of PBR a day is a 25 dollar a day habit in Ontario

Mind you a pack of darts is also around 12-15 bucks

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

A Bad Poster posted:

There is some tier of beer lower than this that can be had by the can at gas stations around here for a quarter apiece.

Yeah I’ve seen some truly random rear end no-name cheap beer sold only in 30 quantity at Woodman’s (Super Wal-Mart sized grocery/liquor store chain around this region). But Hamm’s has the advantage of extreme cheapness and not being terrible in the PBR beer tier.