Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

ASAPI posted:

Per news channels, 2 cops ran over with knife guys car, knife guy shot by cap police.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say knife guy was mentally ill.

If that quote is right that they got rammed into the barrier by the car, then.... gently caress. I can picture that and isn't good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I mean, Americans too, so we will always have violent sports. But parents are getting less likely to let little Timmy play football until its clear that yeah, his destiny is hitting people.

I played football in HS and my kid is a fuckin brick who would probably make a killer player when he's older but there's no way in hell we're signing off on that if we can get him to do literally anything else instead.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Grip it and rip it posted:

I dont think I understand what that smiley means in this context - do you want those jurors sequestered?

They're explicitly saying "look, if we sequestered jurors every time a cop shot somebody in the US they'd be perpetually sequestered"

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

wins32767 posted:

Capitalism isn't the sole cause of inequality, weak democratic institutions are just as impactful, if not moreso.

This is basically Picketty's argument although I think he'd say that capitalism is the sole cause of inequality but democratic institutions can and should prevent that inequality from developing through active intervention. So capitalism is the cause, institutions are the mediator, humans should probably work on fixing both.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

ASAPI posted:

They are still looking for the dude. The area is set up in a way that they need lots of people to look for someone that is trying to hide. Lots of trees and hiking trails, parks etc.

I’d be willing to bet that they know exactly who he is. They likely already know of him from previous domestic calls to the address. So it could be reasonable to assume that the dead were the only targets.

I’m not trying to make a commentary on the normalization of events like this, I’m just trying to provide context from the area since it’s very close to me and I’m familiar with it.

Edit: they just said they do know who he is, they are looking for him etc, they don’t think he is looking to shoot anyone else.

Apparently dude is a cop arrested for sexual assault last year. Or at least shares the name with that person, and the cops are not saying it *isn't* him.

https://amp.statesman.com/amp/7278131002

Edit: *child* sexual assault.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't feel like clicking that, can you vaguely describe what it was in a way that won't make anyone projectile-vomit?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's fairly obvious from everything s_e dredged up that MC sees themself as the baby in that fantasy, but yeah keep calling them a pedo.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

PeterCat posted:

"Active Duty" law enforcement?

American institutions tremble at the thought of a mobilized community of Oath Keepers in the street trained to the hawkeye accuracy and rigid discipline of the average American policeman.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary that would suggest this round of tensions is about to go hot? Zelensky is just blustering to appeal to the domestic audience and encourage allies to support him; Putin's still playing at his own grandstanding escalation. Ukraine sure af ain't gonna initiate hostilities and Russia is very unlikely to barring Putin huffing his own farts more than usual.

The Russian troop buildup on the Ukrainian border is arguably outside of what's typical for military exercises, and the water shortage in Crimea provides a strategic justification for some kind of a surge or a direct deployment of Russian troops. It's not impossible that Putin is going to try a limited direct invasion to step on Ukraine, restore water to Crimea, and undercut Biden at a time when he's under a lot of domestic pressure for how he handled Navalny and pissed off about Biden calling him out.

It's not inevitable, but the folks I know in Ukraine are more freaked out and more prepared for a conflict escalation than they have been in years.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

Seems like things are set to cool off shortly. Or explode. :confused:

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1385202284037087232

oh thank loving god

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

hypnophant posted:

Coopers is the good Aussie beer. Fosters is so bad they have to sell it overseas

I remember Redback being decent but it’s been like a decade so my memory may be off

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This subforum is probably well aware of the importance of liver maintenance.

I try to be careful about drinking because I don't want to harm my liver because I want to keep drinking.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Description: Beer

I find it cool that in the era of massive companies homogenizing the poo poo out of everything, there's still massive regional variance in garbage-tier beer. I feel like every state, and occasionally every city within some states, have their own local pisswater you can get for dirt cheap.

I knew a guy in St Louis who would start his day with what he called "poor man's Guinness" - a 50/50 ratio of coffee and Stag beer, which is a midwestern poo poo-tier cheap beer (but actually way better than Coors)

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Brute Squad posted:

Stag is pretty good for cheap beer. But this, I don't know what I think about this. I'm going to have to try it.

It tastes exactly like you think it would taste. Personally, I think it's not terrible if you use sweetened coffee but still not as good as just drinking coffee with a beer chaser if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

The article makes it look like Gaetz refused to list a finger to help Greenberg even after Greenberg made it clear he hadn't flipped because he's holding out for a pardon.

The highly tarnished silver lining of these people is that they seem constitutionally incapable of not grifting and throwing each other under the bus at all times.

This is a thing with fascist or fascist-adjacent groups - most of the higher-ups are in it for personal gain and they obviously operate on FYGM because it's the whole ideology, so they tend to backstab each other more or less constantly. It's one reason why the FBI has penetrated the organized groups so thoroughly - they tend to be willing to cheerfully roll on somebody else to protect their rear end and get a rival out of the way.

You can bitch about leftist circular firing squads, but in general it seems to be a little harder to get leftist leaders to throw each other under the bus in my impression.