Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
It's my understanding that the pistol brace for ARs was designed for a disabled person and I would have liked to have seen something where a person with a disability could be authorized use of one. Kind of like how people with disabilities can use a crossbow for hunting in some states. I really hate how it was co-opted by idiots wanting to turn their SBR into a legal rifle. It's not a pistol and I don't care what anyone says (I'm not gonna argue this so hopefully this doesn't start a derail).

Also my uncle is a big football fan, although I don't know his views after the whole kneeling for the anthem thing. I don't talk to the guy unless I have to. But anyway he also thinks MMA will be the downfall of civilization. Go figure lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

lightpole posted:

People just want to gatekeep.

Edit: half the fun of being in your own little club is telling others they don't make the cut for X obscure reason.

From my experiences, years ago being an OEF vet was looked down on by OIF vets. This is mostly why I don't talk to most vets, even though I don't think it's like this anymore. Everyone just wants to feel special I guess.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Dude's lawyer looks like he just hopped out of a longboat with his law-axe:

https://twitter.com/ChanelVanHook/status/1380922893710852103

Its Unfrozen Caveman Viking Lawyer!

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I let that Askren v. Paul "fight" go through my head a couple of times, and I'm having trouble figuring out who to feel bad for.
It's not either of them, because both are just personified Fremdscham, but "I feel bad for boxing" crossed my mind, and then I remembered that boxing has devolved into a clownshow rife with corruption over the past couple of decades, so it's not that either.

I guess I feel bad for the people that are seeing their sweet science circling the shitter on capitalism-lifesupport. Like...Freddie Roach, I guess?

Boxing itself is actually a lot of fun and I recommend it to people that want to work out with some form of training in mind. ie not trying to be the best at exercising (crossfit). If I wasn't still nursing this knee injury I wanted to get back into training. I still really want a reflex bag, footwork was always my weakest part.

I think watching boxing is a lot like watching wrestling you either like it and appreciate the art or you just don't. I like both so... :shrug: But I can't name any current high profile boxers except Canelo or Mayweather whereas I could tell you what I think about most of the AEW roster by name. And these stupid gimmick fights, unless they are for charity, aren't helping boxing as a sport.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Twin cities police killed someone during a traffic stop earlier so expect things to get crazy in Minnesota earlier than expected.

From what I am hearing he was pulled over for having an air freshner hanging from his rear view mirror (fake edit I guess there was a warrant?). The first time I had ever been pulled over was in MN for having my blue chord (yeah i know shutup) hanging from my rear view mirror. I was driving on a fairly busy two lane street and pulled off to a side road and I got grilled for that for some reason. Cop was mad, I had my hazards on the entire time though so whatever.

Unicorn Riot is covering this on Youtube.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Well you just got 5 more years Iraq! Keep playing, Afghanistan, and we will stay in you for another 20 years!

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

:kstare:

I was only trained to shoot little green men in the woods doing situps.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Epiphyte posted:

Is there some really rad Afghani cuisine I should be on the lookout for in 10-20 years?

So, before my first deployment to Afghanistan, I got selected to go to a class on learning Pashto that was taught by an Afghan lady. I remember her saying the "national dish" of Afghanistan is a mix of rice, goat, carrots and raisins. I don't remember what it was called. I assume it was served over some Naan or foot bread. I didn't mind Afghan food whenever I had it, it just went straight through me unfortunately.
There was a place in Wardak province (just outside Kabul) that was known for its apples. I don't remember them being anything that special though.
That's my story about Afghan food. :btroll:

edit: Bonus! Here is a food stand from somewhere around Orgun-E in Paktika province. Just missed it but the guy poked his head out anyway. From the top of a humvee.

Wrong Theory fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 17, 2021

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

boop the snoot posted:

Deep water terrifies me and submarines are like the delivery vessel to my nightmares for these specific reasons.

So glad I couldn’t join the navy because (of all things) my driving record. I was going to go nuke.

Deep sea gigantism is the stuff of my nightmares. Sharks terrify me as well, what demon spawn is just a tube with a razor sharp tooth lined mouth?! I will stay here on the land or maybe some lakes thank you.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

There's always the movie Gallipoli with a really young Mel Gibson. If you ever visit Australia definitely visit the Anzac memorial (https://www.anzacmemorial.nsw.gov.au/). I went there on my R&R in '09 with some half-family. Would love to revisit someday.

I always keep meaning to try to make Anzac biscuits around this time. All my baking stuff is packed up or I would try now. I think it's just a sweetened form of hard tack? I also want to say there is a photo from WW1 of Australian soldiers spelling out VB in beer bottles. VB being Victoria Bitter, a traditional Australian beer. :australia: There was a beer from the isle of Tasmania that was really good too, can't think of the name. Man now I miss Aussie beer.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

What's wrong with Aussie beer?

The Tasmanian beer I think was Boags. I remember thinking Cascade Light was basically their version of Bud Light, just easy to drink nothing really special.

This was in the middle of a deployment so rose colored glasses might be super tinted.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLr3WEniKjk

Wrong Theory fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 25, 2021

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

This was a very interesting article. I admit this is a subject I don't know much about and have been trying to learn and understand it more. I still don't know how I feel about children being given that much input on themselves, a part of me wants to say it is not something they understand. But it is definitely something I don't understand as well. The article paints a pretty safe picture of transition and I would love to believe that is the case but here in the U.S. but with our health care system, it worries me.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

I apologize if I offended, I assure you it wasn't my intention. I know my thoughts on the subject aren't unique and lord knows I'm not perfect. Like another poster said I am trying to learn about the subject so I don't spread misinformation. I don't want to be all "but I have a black friend" but I have known trans people and I wish them the best of luck in their lives. You might be right in that it's something I can't understand but it doesn't mean I won't try.

Anyway I'll drop my comments on it, I don't want to start another derail.

Don't make me post my thoughts on Vegemite

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

bulletsponge13 posted:

My therapist (this poor woman- I saw her as a therapist as a teen, before I joined the Army. Now she gets to see what I did with her work. Lol) keeps reminding me that the sheer joy and carefree I felt was disassociation, it's not healthy, and what I'm feeling is normal. But gently caress man.

As someone else who has seen a therapist before, sometimes it just feels good to brain dump. I think my therapist was scared of me sometimes, he would act like he accidently did something to set me off and apologize. I honestly had no idea and was always confused, I was never mad at him. I remembered he said I would shut him out. After one tough session I remember driving home and loving Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger started playing on the radio and I just started bawling on the highway. I had been physically drained plenty of times but that was the first time I was just emotionally exhausted. It was rather cathartic.

I wish more people would seek therapy but certain parts of society look down on it. Personally I think recognizing that something is wrong and attempting to fix it is only a good thing. I wish more people would view it as such.

edit:

Dr. Fauci reacts to Joe Rogans dumbass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QVPjioDvEc

Wrong Theory fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

If you are into shooting you can two-for-one and get a spotting scope. I used mine to peep the moon last year during a lunar event and it was cool just how much I could make out. I would have liked to have had a map of the face of the moon so I could put names to locations. This was also just using the Wal-Mart special spotting scope, I think it was $60.