Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I wanted to like Saint’s Power. The premise makes it sound like a sort of Isekai Atelier, which has a lot of potential. This episode was a little weird, though, especially in the pacing. It’s like we got the first five minutes of episode 1 and then it skipped right into episode 2.

I feel like there should have been a few more scenes of Sei getting rejected in favor of the other girl and growing increasing annoyed, setting up her decision to go off and do her own thing. Like maybe she could have asked one of the royal mages about magic but he says “I don’t have time for this, I’m busy tutoring the real saint”, or something to that effect. Instead it comes across like the only one showing favoritism was the prince and everyone else was cool with having two saints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I almost didn’t bother watching it thinking it was going to be a straightforward comedy/parody (you’re not topping Bofuri when it comes to VR-based comedies) but seeing the darker elements actually increased my interest in the show. I doubt it’ll end up being particularly deep, but if it follows in Shinchou Yuusha’s footsteps I expect it to turn in a slightly more serious direction later on.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

It’s a bad show, but I’m finding it kinda fascinating in how it manages to make pretty much everyone an rear end in a top hat. Like, am I supposed to side with Hiro because other people keep treating him like crap, or against him because he’s an idiot who falls for the simplest tricks and who is still moping about being embarrassed at a track meet years ago?

But I’ll keep watching the trainwreck anyway because at the very least it managed to hold my attention, and I am kinda curious as to what Reona’s deal is.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I’m very surprised that, of all the overly realistic stuff that later games got rid of, that also included the ability to taste food. The pain and the slow healing etc. I can understand but what’s the downside to letting players eat?

It certainly explains why that one guy keeps logging in every day just to hang out at the tavern, though. If this was a real game there’d probably be whole groups of players running virtual bars and restaurants.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 8, 2021

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Overlord’s quality goes way up whenever Ainz isn’t the focus. He works great as a catalyst for having other stuff happen in the story, but not so much as a main character because he never seems to progress any further towards his supposed goal of figuring out what exactly happened to him.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Spider has done a great job so far of showing her getting powerful while reminding the audience of the scale of the threat she faces. Despite becoming immortal she can still be taken out of action with one effortless attack from the demon lord, and her true enemy is a god, far beyond even that. And when she does have to slaughter some generic mooks who are way beneath her like those bandits, the show treats it like the trivial fight that it is, or just skips over it entirely like that elven hit squad.

Where Slime and Overlord tend to fail is when they frame a battle as though it’s supposed to be an epic confrontation, but we know the protagonist is too powerful to be threatened by anything so there’s no tension. Slime gets a bit better at the end of its second season because it at least introduces a bunch of truly despicable villains who we can have fun watching Rimuru mow down with ease, but it was a long, boring road to get to that point. And Overloard has those arcs with the lizards, or the young knight, or the village girl and her goblin friends, which offer a change of pace, so credit to the show for that.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 9, 2021

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Might wanna be careful with latest episode spoilers in the seasonal anime thread for people who haven't jumped in yet. :)

Oh is that the rule? Okay, sorry. Edited.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Back Arrow is the Xenogears anime I always wanted.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

The most questionable thing about MHA’s world is the way the government limits people’s quirk usage. If you aren’t a licensed hero you aren’t allowed to use your quirk in public ever (I guess there are exceptions for people like Hagakure who can’t turn theirs off), but in order to get licensed you have to have gone to one of a few elite high schools. So if you couldn’t get into one of those schools, or you only decide you want to become a hero later in life, too bad; you’re screwed. You can’t even use your quirk for normal things as part of a different job. I gather that this is something else that’s talked about in the spinoff but I’ve only seen the anime so I don’t know it’s presented there.

As for them being cops, well, obviously in a world with superpowers there would be some sort of government-run task force for dealing with superhuman threats, so I’m not sure why people are surprised by this. It’s probably the most realistic aspect of the show if you don’t count the fact that they all wear silly costumes. If the show made it clear that you could become a hero without having gone to a specific school there wouldn't be an issue.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

From what I remember the only thing the government is very firm about is using your quirk to hurt others. Everything else becomes a mixture of exceptions and depending on the scenario. For super hero licensing it is clear that there are countless schools doing it, it is just that most intention from the setting is given to one of the elite institutions.

I see. It's still not ideal (like there should be a kind of hero GED for people past high school) but the focus on UA makes it seem like a rare thing for people to be able to achieve. I guess this is another thing the manga/spinoff must go into in more detail.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

people can use their quirks in their jobs, i think uraraka is specified as coming from a family that owns a construction business where her quirk would be super duper useful, but she wants to be a hero instead and her parents support her in that. seems like there's licenses to use your quirk in public outside of the hero licenses, i'm pretty sure we're explicitly told at some point about job-related licenses being a thing.

i also suspect that whatever law is in place has language that's more centered around "if your quirk enables flight, don't go flying to commute to work because 15% of everyone has some means of flight but not everyone can go at the same speeds nor have the same level of control so we don't have good safety precautions for that many people up in the air" and less "if you have a fire quirk then using that to light your cigarette is illegal." but the show doesn't explore that angle uh, at all so no way to know unless a manga written by a different author has all the answers

That makes a lot more sense.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

It's really been coming into its own over the past few of episodes after the shaky start, and I'm really interested to see just where it's going. Shame that pretty much everyone everywhere is kind of sleeping on it.

A lot of people probably dismissed it thinking it was just going to be an adaptation of the game’s story, when for once they did the smart thing and actually came up with a new one. Not that the game’s story was bad or anything, I certainly liked it, but RPGs being adapted into anime have a terrible track record.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Endorph posted:

like iunno when i think about how blue reflection handles a child abuse backstory ep (mostly showing her reactions and mental state, the scenes where you see actual abuse taking place or get anything from her mother probably amount to a minute and a half, tops) versus how say, wonder egg handles it (constant flashbacks to the moments something bad happened, a giant wacky inflatable tube monster that loudly yells about how beating children is good and also they're a pedophile and let me tell you more about this), one is vastly better handled than the other.

Plus, Wonder Egg’s big dumb monsters were only representations of whatever caused the victim’s trauma, like Persona 4/5 bosses but without the real-world consequences for defeating them, so the actual perpetrators never got confronted let alone punished. Makes the whole thing feel kinda hollow. Blue reflection's conflicts so far are all humans vs. other humans.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 19, 2021

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Besides dragging the initial conflict out so long, I think the show's biggest mistake was having Reona be invisible to the npcs, limiting who she can interact with. Konosuba's comedy works better because you have a whole team of main characters and more minor ones all bouncing off of one another. With Full Dive, so far it’s usually just Reona and Hiro doing the same old routine and when it’s not that it’s Hiro plus one other character at a time.

I'm guessing there's a proper reason she’s keeping secret for why her avatar is like that, but I doubt the payoff will be worth the buildup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Limiting it to the ones that started this season: Vivy, Shadows House and Blue Reflection.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 27, 2021