Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 25, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

The Colonel posted:

i dont think the early parts are that good either

Eh. The early parts are a decent mix of goofy and comfy (with the occasional dash of horny). I am not expecting it to be the hit of the season, but I think it will be a fine watch since it (hopefully) wont overstay its welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 25, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Lemon-Lime posted:

I enjoyed it and will keep watching, but the title is so forgettable that it took me until halfway through the episode to realise I'd read several chapters of the manga at some point a year or two ago.

To be fair, the manga spends way too long with her trying to hide her status and kind of just spinning her wheels.

Nemo2342
Nov 25, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Everything Burrito posted:

when it was announced I completely mixed it up with another one that has almost exactly the same story so it's not like the plot is really what's going for it lol.

Ive mixed it up a few times with the story about the saintess who runs a bookstore.

Nemo2342
Nov 25, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Everything Burrito posted:

yeah that's the one I thought it was at first
that one has a much hotter love interest tbh, kinda wish it had got the anime instead

so cute :3

it's also equally unexciting lol
tbh to me the appeal of these is that they have older characters. female protagonist doesn't really make or break it for me (right now my favorite one with almost exactly the same plot is a BL one [unsurprisingly]) but being aimed more at a female audience does make it more appealing as well. Also in general I think I prefer the ones where they're summoned and are just, the same person and they didn't die vs the reincarnated ones.

I like that one, but it made me mad that they did such a quick wrap up at the end of the first volume and skipped what could have been lots of good stuff. I did however love that it had an older protagonist who started out by shaking down God for OP stuff.

Nemo2342
Nov 25, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

OnimaruXLR posted:

I wasn't expecting much from Full Dive but surprisingly "What if a VR MMO, but in hardcore realism mode" is actually a pretty comically ripe concept, and hearing it's from the Shinchou Yuusha author gives me hopes it should be able to manage at least a single cours worth of amusement

It was a little hornier than I was expecting (I know, I know, I didn't watch the preview) but I liked where it was going once he hosed everything up.

Nemo2342
Nov 25, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Raenir Salazar posted:

When reading scanlations originally of MHA, I liked the translator putting in translation notes, but also like, their thought process for why they made the choices they did.

One of the things I liked about the Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san manga was that they had 2 pages of translation notes at the end of the volumes.

Nemo2342
Nov 25, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Omnicrom posted:

A question that answers itself.

What show are they referencing? I'm assuming it's Slime Hunter but isekai is isekai and it's sometimes hard to keep them all straight.

Yeah that's the Witch who killed slimes for 300 years (and also a number of other isekais).

Nemo2342
Nov 25, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

That reminds me I need to make more progress on reading the manga.

Nemo2342
Nov 25, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

chumbler posted:

The childhood friend who won't lose seems like it could be fun. Interesting relationship chart being set up and things heated up a bit in the first episode.

I'm going to be very upset if he doesn't end up with the childhood friend.

Nemo2342
Nov 25, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kwyndig posted:

So I'm dropping that Full Dive show. It's too dark for what is supposed to be a comedy and I don't like the girls, they're all just various flavors of yan-with-no-dere.

That said, I loved Uma Musume season 2 but I also loved season 1 so I'm hardly unbiased.

I'm giving it one more episode, now that we seem to be moving past the initial setup of the world. I'm just morbidly curious about what's going to drag the MC back into this actively-hateful game.

Nemo2342
Nov 25, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Tamba posted:

The bad news is that it eventually turns into a harem story with the high school girl, the coworker, the boss and an ex-girfriend competing for the main character

Wait, seriously?

Nemo2342
Nov 25, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

It took the manga a while to get to that point. The early chapters really felt a lot more malevolent than anything else, but the direction and acting for Nagatoro have gone a long way toward making it clear she earnestly cares for senpai, and that shes not just worried about breaking a plaything when she starts to maybe go too far.

I also really like the sound design in Nagatoro. I'm not sure why it stands out so much to me, but I love the little themes you get that emphasize "senpai is in danger" or "this gag is about to backfire".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 25, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Skippy McPants posted:

Leitmotifs are amazing touchstones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVlsIhbQ2qM. Highly recommend the whole channel, the guy does a good job of unpacking the importance of sound and music.

In this instance Nagatoro, skimming through the episodes it looks like they're using a few different ones to represent various dynamics of their developing relationship. I don't watch a ton of anime so I don't know how common it is in the medium, but it is a simple and powerful storytelling tool.

I assume it isn't completely uncommon, but it stands out enough in Nagatoro that I really noticed it starting with episode 1. I can't think of another show off hand where I thought more about the sound other than "this opening/closing track is really great", so I figure credit where credit is due.

FilthyImp posted:

They go to a hard rock kind of sound when she gets sadistic, and when she gets false romantic or echhi the art style does something different with her hair (more "Vaseline filter" lens looks, with softer VN style coloring to her hair with swaths of red and purple).

In the last episode there's a kind of discordant tune that starts up around 8:08 that feels a bit aggressive and hostile, which coincides with Nagatoro flipping into her jealous mode. It ends around 9:18 with a jarring piano chord, then at 9:20 a more playful, jazzy tune starts up as the jealousy has been cleared up and the teasing has begun. Then that jazzy tune cuts out a second or two before the punchline, leaving only dead silence as the teasing backfires and she freaks out.