Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Back Arrow 13 was pretty good, continuing the recent solid string of episodes about the war. I think this series would be a lot more popular if it was airing on something like Toonami about 15 or 20 years ago, but as far as I'm concerned it's still enjoyable. The new OP is fine too, although I'd say the best part are the last 30 seconds or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, maybe. There was more of an audience in the US for episodic goofy sci-fi anime back then. People talk about Outlaw Star as a classic in a way similar modern shows aren't.

This is my basic point, yes, so glad we're at least on the same page about that much. Even if, admittedly, my personal opinion of the show remains higher than yours.

quote:

But I have my doubts. I talked in the mech anime thread about why Back Arrow is a disappointment for me, and it still holds. One thing is that, while the characters are gimmicky, they aren't that interesting.

Like, comparing to Gridman, because Dynazenon just started and it already kicks rear end, (hoping it can keep that going) Rikka is low key and grounded, but she's got all these personal drives and connections that make her feel real and let her struggles be good TV. Meanwhile, Atlee has fight scenes, but she's not doing anything to make me care what happens to her. Even comparing Yuta and Back Arrow, Yuta's not as active as Back, but his desires shape the plot more.

I'll check out this episode to see if I feel any different, but despite my love of mecha anime and appreciation for some old school episodic goofiness, it's not done much for me.

I hope you'll like ep 13, but I agree with dogsicle above...the fact is they really are trying to do completely different things in terms of specific means and ends.

Gridman may have larger-than-life elements such as giant monsters and heroes, yes, but it is a show that tries to be grounded with a certain sense of modern reality in its setting. There's also a clear effort to make the main cast visually attractive in terms of fashion and contemporary character design standards (and beyond, but that's probably the most polite way to put it). The script is, at least for the most part, laser-focused on the character drama, which makes sense for that type of story and because it doesn't have a lot of episodes either so there's a need for efficiency. I think this is all great and compelling enough, mind you, but Back Arrow isn't exactly trying to follow that approach.

Back Arrow takes place in a strange world that is almost entirely fantasy with very little sense of realism. While there is a degree of character drama (say, Arrow/Shu vs. Kai/Ren, all of which have had some good interactions with each other as of late), the current focus is absolutely more on the action-adventure/comedy side of things. On paper, it is clearly less of a character-driven narrative in comparison and, one way or another, the creators know they have a lot more time to get from point A to point Z (even so, I still liked seeing Elsha's development in episode 10, for whatever it counts, although you're right that Atlee herself hasn't had much to do).

Perhaps it won't be as universally appealing in the year 2021, but well...it's another valid way of writing and directing a work of fiction. Arrow is presented as something of an outsider and an empty vessel or blank slate, even from an in-universe perspective. The initial story was more about the consequences of his presence than about his personal drama. That may be starting to change during the second half, since we're now seeing Arrow expressing more concrete desires than just aiming for the other side of the wall, but it's been less of a priority to date.

In the meanwhile, I'll relax and enjoy the mecha action and comedy (plus, again, I think eps 10-12 have been getting pretty good even on other fronts too).

If you can't smile like an idiot when something like the previous link or this combination happens...then yeah, it'll be a tough watch.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 2, 2021

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Mobile Suit Gundam and Future Robot Daltanious aired at the same time and nobody ever compares them just because they're mecha shows that happened to be on at the same time

Only thing I know about Daltanious is it was allegedly better received than GoLion, but they accidentally ended up licensing the "wrong" show to make Voltron.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 2, 2021

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

86 is interesting enough and I'd like to see more. I did chuckle upon realizing this felt extremely inspired by a few other anime, but I'm not a stickler for originality above all other things. I imagine the ongoing light novels have more than enough time to establish their own identity, despite starting off from a very similar situation, so let's see where they go.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Endorph posted:

i support 86 cause the author of the origina LNs is a lesbian who went on a giant rant about how she doesnt like wearing tights but loves them on other women in the authors notes, unprompted

If true, then that's amazing.

dogsicle posted:

if it focuses more on the spearhead squad it will probably be good, idrc about the sad girl being sad about commanding them unless they're going to build some intrigue or something on that side

They're probably going to go for some romantic tension with her and the guy . Again, it'd be predictable, but not a bad thing in my opinion.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

Back Arrow: With Rudolph's talk about the Gods, I suspect it's building towards a reveal where the entire world is basically an arena for "Gods" to battle it out. He and Zetsu might be from outside the walls. This particular configuration of nations might be just the latest in a whole cycle of political agglomeration and disintegration.

That's a pretty good point, yes. Not sure about Zetsu himself, but it does seem to fit Rudolph's whole thing after this episode and how his palace's inner design looked vaguely compatible with the sky mines above the wall.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Back Arrow 16: Believe it or not, actual main plot progression!

In other words: new wall-related stuff and more. Almost no action, sure, but I think it was necessary to step away from the battles for a moment. They actually did a good job bringing together a lot of disparate threads even from way back at the start of the series. I also dig seeing minor characters re-introduced after quite a while and having them interact. The overarching status quo is rapidly changing too, so things are looking up in more than one sense.

wielder fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 23, 2021

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Back Arrow Dēlenda Est.

Hey, I see you did the thing!

There's more than enough cool shows for cool people, but Back Arrow is simply a chill show for chill people. That's the real difference.

Incidentally, they're releasing the English dub for BA and what I heard of it sounds nice enough. The voice actors seem to be having fun

wielder fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 26, 2021

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

dogsicle posted:

i would say episode 16 was the opposite of chill, hype

You got me there, 'cause I'm also a bit hyped after that, but on balance the series can be described as chill thus far.

I think chewing the scenery works for Shu rather well, since Sugita himself absolutely does some of that in Japanese too.

The English dub's choir is going to be either the most amusing thing or totally fall flat, so here's hoping it's the first of those.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Back Arrow 17: What's beyond the wall? Another wall, of course. My half-kidding aside, the big reveal seems to be next week.

But this time was quite fun nonetheless. Shu and Arrow really should get more scenes together, plus things escalated quickly and Zetsu really is the MVP when it comes to battles.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

A Small theater run (even with Covid restrictions) just has the potential to make more money than a TV broadcast due to tickets sales and exclusive merch they can sell.

That's true, it can make economic sense, but also means we'll have to wait longer until we can get a localized release in most cases.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

Back Arrow is insane and I love it.

Oh no, the choir...not the choir! I'd say that specific sequence was rather tragicomic in a good way, but the whole ep was exciting for me.

This week in particular had the sort of "second half of a Kazuki Nakashima show" energy that may have been missing earlier. And despite or perhaps precisely because of the chaotic flow of recent events...it's a welcome surprise that they are picking up bits of foreshadowing from all the way back at the start specifically with Arrow himself, the prophecy and the Rakuho he came in.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

dogsicle posted:

back arrow is right there

This week's episode is/was especially hype in terms of mecha content, so yeah. That's it.

THE BATTLESHIP FINALLY TRANSFORMED!

chumbler posted:

The world needs Frozen Teardrop.

The world will collapse if you release such forbidden knowledge upon us.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Endorph posted:

86 is way more an ironblooded orphans riff if anything.

IBO and Akito the Exiled had a baby and named it 86.

I'm way behind for various reasons, but that's how I'd describe it.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

I love Back Arrow. It just keeps getting better and better.

We got some of that escalation people expect out of a Nakashima project and Zetsu still being a badass Master Asia makes sense given Taniguchi worked on G Gundam, so yes.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

dogsicle posted:

thank you back arrow for another week of blessed anime

though i will say the fight choreography was a bit lacking, i will take it in stride with Bit the Great and them finally dropping the other uh..."shoe"

Back Arrow was quite hot-blooded this week. I agree the action emphasized the emotions and impact over the choreography, but it works for a Super Robot-style battle.

Also...I absolutely see what you did there. And I do wonder how they're going to explain that next week.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Sindai posted:

Two episodes seems like enough since there's really only two things left to do: 1) finish revealing Arrow's origin 2) kill God.

Yeah, this week was like one of those last cast reunion scenes that JRPGs have before going to the final dungeon, so two weeks seems like enough time to wrap it up.

Rather low key episode in comparison to the previous couple, since we needed to catch up on some exposition and loose ends, but I suppose that also means we'll likely get another big action sequence as a finale.

wielder fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 5, 2021

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Speaking of anime that will never get a sequel...Back Arrow had a crazy dumb ending, but I think it was fitting in a sense and the characters at least ended up in a good place.

They had already resolved almost everything that needed a resolution, so this was more of an excuse for a little more escalation (that part was cool) and weird setting reveals (that part was dumb).

In other words, I'm happy with the journey and the last arc as a whole, so the finale episode felt like more of an afterthought to the experience in my view. Leaving space for a sequel that'll never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Just leaves plenty of room for the Super Robot Wars games to expand on!

It would be a high crime against mecha if this show doesn't end up in a Super Robot Wars game eventually, so absolutely!