Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

TWEWY’s adaptation was a bit rushed to start and they’ve really toned down how much of a jerk Neku is at the start but it seems solid so far and it’s also really loving pretty

From what I've read, Neku being a jerk was more of a thing in the English localization of the game. In the Japanese version, he's just a downer loner type of kid which fits with how the anime is portraying him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Battle Athletes Victory ReSTART! is already setting up for some of the weirdness that the older series had right from the start, with the three men with codenames over the top complaining about sports. Also Shelley needs to chill a bit, Kanata is just being the dumb main character who wants to be friends with everyone.

I liked the callbacks the OP animation had to the older series too (which btw got license rescued and is now available on blu-ray and I recommend it for some good 90s anime silliness)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 11, 2021

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

dogsicle posted:

it was a pretty conspicuous scene, but so far i'm just taking stuff like that as references rather than full-on continuity. they've been kind of inconsistent in how characters are handled with Lydia and Yana being similar to their 90s counterparts while Shelley isn't and other characters seem to exist largely as name references like the detective or Paglia. it's obvious Kanata's grandma was raising her granddaughter into a potential athlete, but whether she's actually Akari from the original i'll wait for them to reveal (or not, and leave as an ambiguous tease).

I also wish the series would be less vague on if it's a reboot with references, or a sequel, but honestly with the way the whole "civil war on the moon" plot was told via a dialogue dump by Lydia and Yana, I'm starting to not trust the series with telling the greater interesting plot bits well.
Like it almost feels like there's two anime here - one's the stuff with the sports girls, the other is all the intriguing world things happening around them. And I'm not sure how they're going to mix those two.

Then again the ending of the 1997 series (spoilered because even though it's old it's worth watching IMO) had the whole alien thing come out of nowhere in the last three episodes and somewhat pulled it off

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

d4dj had a rap episode that was 10x better than the zombieland one and none of you fuckers watched it

d4dj's rap episode features ZAQ (person who did the flipflappers op) and one of ZAQ's real life-friends dissing on each other about their actual real lives, complete with a dunk about how nobody's singing the flipflappers op at karaoke

D4DJ flew under the radar as a whole back in the fall season, since it started late and didn't really have much substance with a low-stakes mostly drama free story, but carried it through well. Since it's free on youtube (with dubs available as well), it's an easy watch too.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

The two shows I'm watching this season fall exactly into the same spots you have them, ha.

Joran is solidly a good show that might end up as very good if it sticks the landing at the end. The art style is beautiful and consistent, and there's a lot of wonderful framing and composition in shots. Plot-wise, it's always got me nervous and on the edge of my seat and I like when a show makes me feel that way since watching weekly means it needs to keep my interest.

Battle Athletes Victory ReSTART is solidly a bad show because it is boring but also trying to do too much at the same time. Because it's also a sequel(?) series, I can't help but compare it to the original series every time something happens. It's so solidly boring/bad/misfiring on all plot points that I'm tempted to do a complainypants writeup after I struggle through to the end.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

dogsicle posted:

it's all very of its time but the OVA's take feels less offputting through some combination of its brevity and slightly restrained comedy, and the sweet ending you do get with Kris and Akari.

It's been years since I've seen either version, longer for the OVA, but I always preferred the TV series more. I think the wackiness of Anna's arc in the OVA puts me off more than the changes to Kris, the left field ending, or any out of character moments others have.

At least both were actually about sports at the front, and the people around them doing sports, unlike ReSTART which seems to forget the main plot is supposed to be about a sports competition!

dogsicle posted:

a lot of the other stuff can chalk up to just fanservice where the names are used with no strong connection to prior characters (Shelley, Jefferson, Paglia, Ms. Cookie being a Rosnovsky), and i could reasonably expect dudes like the Shadow Triad to get a hold over an annual competition like Cosmo Beauty at some point.

Thanks for the reminder about Ms. Cookie's name, since she's just sort of existed the entire time that I forgot her name was even mentioned. That's one of the things that irks me, that line in the first episode about "how all the students call her Ms. Cookie" but we never see her interacting with the students. "Telling, Not Showing" is a major issue ReSTART has.

My thoughts on the shadow guys are (speculation, spoilers for end of the OG TV series and most recent ReSTART episode) they're somehow connected to the Nerilians. There was some line about brokering peace for a bit longer in an episode. But could be entirely off course here, since that organization that kidnapped Paglia also seems to be about taking over things.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Sindai posted:

I was pretty disappointed with Jouran's ending. If you're going to kill the main character at least let her do something first.

Same. Along with, in my opinion, Asahi being alive coming mostly out of nowhere setting up for a happier ending. This is the ending I expected where the plot was at two or three episodes ago. Such a shame cause the art, sound direction, and voice acting were so on point.
6/10 show, wouldn't not recommend it if asked, but would also recommend other things ahead of it to spend your time on.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

So was Battle Athletes just real boring or something?

I've only watched through episode 7 because it's so drat boring. Waiting for the final episode to drop and then I'll binge through what I've got left since going weekly was a slog.

I just didn't care about any of the characters or the plots, and kept comparing it to the original series which not only remembers it's a sports anime, it develops the characters and keeps a central plot the entire way through.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Edward IV posted:

Speaking of the originals, from what I can tell the TV series and OVA are standalone but is there any particular order they should be watched?

I’d say do the OVA first before the original TV series - there's less characters and differences in the plot that aren't carried over to the TV series. Personally I find the TV series more enjoyable, the entire first half of it is good character development. Also the OVA is way more fanservicey. Spoiler example but the plot of one episode has the girls in a volleyball match against the boys school (which doesn't exist in the TV canon). Their outfits are really skimpy in a plan to distract the boys. The joke is it does not work because reasons.
A negative point towards the TV series is the last two or three episodes have a plot point coming from so out of left field it's from the next stadium over. It's hit or miss, it was definitely a miss for me the first time I watched due to the sheer WTF factor. Now I just laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
My Summer 2021 plate:

-Love Live Superstar: maybe I'll actually watch more than one episode
-D_CIDE TRAUMUREI: Bushiroad has me in its grasp and I didn't learn from Joran
-Aquatope on White Sand: I need something soft and I like the two lead seiyuu

Might dip back and watch Odd Taxi if I drop anything.