Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just watched the 3rd episode of "I shaved and then brought a high school girl home." This series is one I was kinda on the fence about, due to it revolving around a pretty traumatized person, and I've gotta say this last episode really struck me in the worst way. It's one thing to have confrontations between mc and this girl where she is trying yet again to barter her body for her stay, which while disgusting is pretty much where she's at by this point of the series. It's another to have the anime just loving linger in on zooms over her lingerie'd tits and rear end repeatedly during this confrontation. It was disgusting. There have been plenty of other tone deaf adapations, but this one just irritated the hell out me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Paracelsus posted:

In that case it seems diegetic, in that the camera is going along with what she's attempting to do.

I just don't know if the show's going to get the benefit of the doubt from me. It's definitely been the most egregious example to this point, but after earlier examples of male gaze I just don't know if this scene needed it spelled out quite like that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
For reasons beyond my own comprehension I have continued watching Tokyo Revengers.

This series, on a weekly basis, alternates between OK and bad without fail. At its peak it's a 6/10, when it's anything less it hovers around 4-5/10. This all based on my arbitrary review process, so some may disagree.

The main character sucks a lot. Like.....it is laughable how useless they are. If the series doesn't want him to be time traveling Goku, that's fine. He does not need to be some sort of mega badass. The issue, however, is that his crowning moments are "gets rear end beat and doesn't give up." There's no counter punch, there's no upside, it's just sad sack observer guy from the future getting poo poo on repeatedly and getting bailed out by other people. He has zero ability to MAKE things happen. He just has to hope he runs into someone else and gets them into position to change things. This is....not particularly exciting.

We're 9 episodes in, and the latest episode revolves around MC regaining his resolve to protect a character from getting ambushed by someone else. 30 minutes later, the MC has fallen into every puddle, had every grunt fall on top of him, and fought off tears as he realized how hard his job was.....and the character he wanted to protect got ambushed anyway.

Is this manga any better? Cause good lord I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to enjoy a series where the main character has less agency than the MC of El Hazard, which while an old rear end series at least managed to work around a boring uninteresting protagonist.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If the manga handles it better then I might give its chapters a look-see. Cause holy moley this last episode was maddening.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hottest take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9cGGSzJOlw

Listen to Rocks

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This season the problem children were "I shaved and took a high school girl home" and "Tokyo revengers." The first was more curiosity to see how they'd handle the series, and the show was quickly dropped after a few too many moments of POV lingering shots on scantily clad troubled high school girl and other odd choices. I was still curious about the story but I wasn't going to put up with creepy poo poo to follow it.

Tokyo Revengers was almost dropped after two episodes for many of the same issues I complained about above. Protagonist just......sucked, and I didn't see how the series could be engaging despite that. The 3rd episode did juuuuuuust enough to keep me interested, but six episodes later and I'm realizing MC sucks just as much as he did then and isn't making any progress. "I created a story with a bunch of cool, fun and personable characters! The protagonist isn't one of em, and he's worse than just painfully generic." That's a weird setup for a series. Give me anyone else's POV.

Anyway, I say all that to say I'm not above dropping a series. Hell, i thought for sure I'd be dropping 86 this season and I'm pretty sure I'm watching that one all the way through at this point. But sometimes, even bad shows have their charms. There's definitely a laundry list of questionable shows I watched all the way through. I think the poster child for that I think of was something called Night Wizard, or something. 2007 series. It was alright. Nice ending song though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

remind me never to post in D&D again.

Only post in fun places, imo.

No fun to be found there.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think a pile of dogs sounds like a fun time, but I'm a sucker for a good pooch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There are 5 lights, paisen