Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Do people here like Tokyo Revengers at all? I've read around half the manga and have been watching the anime which is like... literally just chapter for chapter what the manga is, word for word and panel for panel. I'm finding it entertaining but I'm wondering if it'll go total Butterfly Effect "you can't escape this poo poo" like it's been hinting at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I've posted my thoughts about it after binging the entire manga and it's very solid for a good 12 or so volumes, and then there is a point where a certain character dies and it goes off the rails extremely hard. For a bit more spoilery specificity: there is a character who is kept around basically for the express purpose of being fridged, they are around in the background a fair amount but get literally almost zero character development throughout the series because their only purpose is to be innocent and disposable, it's so blatant it's ridiculous. and they are barely referenced afterwards. the people who were responsible for their murder get more coverage than they do. it's bad

after that there's a good two full arcs that I was just like "this is just going through the motions and I don't give a single poo poo about any of this but I've trapped myself with the sunk cost fallacy", there's a good bit afterwards where it could totally end right there, but there's a moment where I literally think the editors were like "no, we have an anime airing right now, you can't end the series here" and so right back into the poo poo we went.

Also, the main character never improves. He never really betters himself beyind "I mustn't run away!!!", he just sits there and gets the poo poo beat out of him every single time until someone dives in at the last second to stop the blow that would kill him or whatever, you can set your watch to it. There is a series, Rokudou's Bad Girls, with a similarly wimpy protagonist, and there's an entire arc where he realizes he needs to knuckle down and improve if he's going to take on serious responsibilities. And he does! and it affects the rest of the manga, because he strove to improve his situation! but the Revengers protagonist barely does at all the entire time. It's purely shonen determination rather than improving himself. The situations get increasingly more absurd and the way they handle the villain of the series is just...I mean, this is a big spoiler, so don't hover over this I guess if you still care, but: when he's about to explain things, he becomes good friends with truck-kun. perfectly timed to deny any closure. it's bad

so basically, I dunno how quickly tokyo revengers the anime is going through the manga stuff, but it probably won't reach the point where it jumps the shark. that said, if there's a season 2 or it intrigues you to hop into the manga, I do not recommend continuing.

Honestly that was kind of what I was worried about. Once it started settling into the "here comes a worse rear end in a top hat gang guy and the day is saved by the main character being loving" I kind of started tuning out. I don't see a downside to the dude actually learning how to fight instead of just getting his rear end kicked all the time, it just kind of rings hollow and eye rolley after a while if he can't back anything up

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Spoiler tags cost nothing, and if they can "just buy the books now" why would you still leave that unhidden before they've had a chance to read them?

It's literally a 20 year old spoiler that means nothing if you're not familiar with the plot. Do you think skinner explaining what steamed hams are ruins the Simpsons

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's a weird twist: Ranma and the others turn into whatever they fell into magical spring water. If there's something confusing in the series Ranma 1/2 it's probably because they tell into magical Chinese spring water

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Bunch of folks ITT getting extremely mad at the idea of being considerate to people who haven't caught up on all the same media that they have.

The gently caress is it about people going 'hey, can you spoiler-tag this please' that makes goons go all HOW DARE YOU SIR?

In terms of classic "everyone tends to know this by now" stuff where do you think the line is drawn. Like should the spoiler be out in the open that Darth Vader is Luke and Leia's dad or is that hosed

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Nah, there are no stakes, so no dramatic tension despite the show acting like it exists. its also dumb that the protagonist's traumatic past is that they pissed themselves during a track meet. Well, I'll admit its slightly better than expected, but its still bad.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

Or, like in the Disgaea games, that claim to be hairy, but are disappointingly not shown to be all that hairy. Which is bullshit. :mad:

Well that was a weird trip back to a confusing memory. I was probably like 14 when I last played a Disgaea game but they all used hairy as an insult to each other even though every character was visually ten years old and I just assumed it was some weird mistranslation