Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Nemo2342 posted:

To be fair, the manga spends way too long with her trying to hide her status and kind of just spinning her wheels.

I've come to realize that isekai manga adaptations move at a snail's pace compared to their WN or LN versions, so usually the anime version ends up speeding past manga versions as was seen with spider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

FilthyImp posted:

Alice and Narnia don't count because there's a method of transmission that remains open. I'd also argue that Isekai now has a definite aspect of rebirth and transformation (either a physical rebirth or a transformation of the characters to be able to achieve spectacular things not common in the Real World like Elder Chaos Magiks or whatever).

There's things like InuYasha and Digimon and Escaflowne that involve travel to other worlds and traditional hero stories but don't quite count.

Like then you get silly and start saying Harlan Ellison's Soldier from Tomorrow is an Isekai.

As for why it's en vogue now? I think we saw some trappings of it with things like Lain exploring the idea of divides between the world of technology and our everyday human lives. The idea that the digital world mirrors/affects us is a tantalizing topic. And you then had .hack// and SAO and Overlord being increasingly gameitic and drawing on mmo trappings directly. I think the current trend of "MMO But" style iseks have more to do with the increased presence of technology in our lives, and the experimentation like Spider is a consequence of the genre being old enough to invite that kind of alternate take.

I mean, there’s plenty of isekai that play around with the format of whether they can go back to their original world or not. There’s already a few about characters who’ve returned from an isekai adventure, so it’s a bit silly to just narrowly define it as a one-way/reincarnation trip cause even in modern webnovels, there’s already a sizeable amount that play with that restriction. Even current popular ones like Spider have already shown that the way back is possible but there are other reasons why a character might choose to stay.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Strange Quark posted:

its time to ask ourselves, what is an idol anime

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, 86 seems to be doing well with that pacing right now. It's a valid approach... Just you need to have good ways to flesh things out.

86 was initially written with one volume in mind, in that it actually has a conclusive ending. It was just successful enough that it got additional volumes which then continued the story but had to walk back that original ending temporarily since it was a pretty set end.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Without getting too spoilery - how do they walk it back? Is the end of V1 like a post-timeskip thing that the later volumes backfill? Or is V1's ending retconned out somehow?

Its a post-timeskip. So later volumes just back filled what happened in-between yeah.