Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hell yeah more of my favourite Kungfu puppet show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Relin posted:

outlaw star is a lot better than trigun, and the two are pretty easily compared. neither is a classic in the anime canon tho

i'll watch back arrow if the reception is still overall positive after the final ep

Eh, I dunno about Outlaw Star although it rings a bell, I think Trigun definitely belongs in the canon insofar as I define it loosely as "anime that college anime clubs watch over and over during weekly meetings yet never get past the first three episodes of".

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Despite being somewhat timid and weak I like how wholly appropriate it is for the red dragon to be quite good at laying down sick burns.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Everything Burrito posted:

when it was announced I completely mixed it up with another one that has almost exactly the same story so it's not like the plot is really what's going for it lol.

I actually wasn't sure if it was this one or the other double saintess summoning one where the unwanted MC gets runoff into the woods and befriends all the spirits and a dragon I think? Maybe she becomes a cat? I don't quite remember it had like 3 chapters released.

There is I notice an interesting thing in at least isekai but maybe it happens in other subgenres where you'll have multiple releases with extremely similar "set ups" but the actual "genre" (suspense, action, comedy, marketed to seinen or shonen, etc) are all different from each other.

Example: The Eliza Villainness series and Bakarina, Bakarina is more of a reverse harem josei romantic comedy set in a isekai based off of a popular Visual Novel where Kat is trying to avoid the bad end. Eliza is also the villainness who ends up in the same role in a world based off of a visual novel where her character has a Bad End but she poisons her family right off the bat and spends the entire series with Kumoko levels of paranoia trying to avoid that ending; so its a more serious series with some reverse harem romantic elements but the politics/drama is more center stage.

(I wish Eliza had proper English releases, the translator who was manually translating it stopped and a blog that mainly does slightly corrected Machine Translations took over after that and it hasn't been the same).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sindai posted:

I for one look forward to the adventures of a girl and her possessed murder scooter.

Seriously how does one of those kill three people?

I don't drive a scooter but I do bike. I can see it as I've gotten into at least two accidents.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

CrazySalamander posted:

Haruhi Suzumiya staff many years ago: this is a popular and well liked ip. we should definitely spend our money making the same episode 8 times in a row so as to discourage future investor interest in a new non-spinoff season

I think its a little questionable to ignore both the movie adaption and the Nagato spinoff series; clearly there's interest in adapting more Haruhi despite KyoAni's missteps (but I also happen to be a sucker for the kind of artsy batshit decisions like Endless Eight) but as others note, the output of the LN author is basically even slower than George R.R Martin's. The most recent content there's not really enough for a new 2-cours season. You got some random one shot chapters and I think 1 not-adapted full LN volume?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

CrazySalamander posted:

Just coincidence. That being said I bet that it gets discussed at least a couple times a year in the discussion thread given how contentious it is.

Eh, it might not be exact but it gets my point across. Sometimes people in charge of shows or manga make really stupid decisions. IMO Endless 8 was a poor decision that cost them audience goodwill but that is not really provable. Also Endless 8 made me mad so I'll take potshots at it occasionally.

This is well put and I may as well put my crackpot theory out there: the angry reactions to Endless 8 shook the author's confidence (angry feedback, regardless of amount can stand out) and knocked them into a hiatus.

This is from an era where the revenue stream from North America while addictive I don't think would have affected the LN author's confidence. It might have resulted in them canning however that KyoAni pro-Haruhi producer was Japan-side but I can't see how it would have affected the author one way or another. Maybe the Japanese audience if it was similarly negative might have affected the author, but I doubt it because the author I think is going to care far more about the reaction/reception to the novel than about the adaption even though its primary goal is selling the novel.

I think it had to statistically happen that regardless of how successful your work is you get creative burnout and lose interest in dedicating every waking moment to that IP. Look at how much of GRRM's life revolves around Game of Thrones as a result of how successful it is, conventions, tie in novels, merch, screenlighting, consultations; no time to actually write or consider experimenting with something else.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Colonel posted:

horikoshi tried giving mineta a small character arc once and it was one of the wonkiest moments in that chunk of the story cause mineta was not conceived with any purpose other than perpetuating sex jokes, so

the lesson is that i'm bored of mha

IIRC it was like, a "I want to be cool!" sort of motivation wasn't it? Sure it wasn't a great motivation in terms of how we contextualize heroes, especially if we compare it to like Spider-Man but it's also a really human sort of motivation?

Mineta could be a way better character though while still being a source of sex jokes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Okay I am intrigued by Full Dive. I hope it actually does something with its premise that doesn't become a source of just comedy. I feel like a rpg world where the "npcs" are basically act and feel like real people and having to continue living with consequences to your actions are things that get explored. Undertale vibes, I like.

chiasaur11 posted:

I brought up Denji for a reason.

That reason is that he's a really good character who is largely defined by horniness in his early arc.

I don't really know anything about Chainsaw man :ohdear:

e: One thing that confuses me about Way of the House Husband is shouldn't his wife be more used to his antics? Shouldn't she know he was yakuza originally?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 9, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like MHA because for a punch-wizards action series it initially seemed like a refreshing well executed take on shonen action but when I last read the manga I kinda feel that world building and how fights get resolved had taken a massive step down. Things like the idea that Quirk users are limited by their stamina like an athlete is basically had fallen to the wayside with characters getting power creeped to having bigger, flashier and more destructive abilities that seem to have no cost or downside. So winning these fights (especially in the two recent movies) comes down more and more to punching really hard in an increasingly unsatisfying way.

The Black Stones posted:

The light novel has a cover that focuses on a girl with huge boobs and the title is about how the game is lovely.

If you are expecting some nuanced take I suggest to vastly lower those expectations.

I'm going to be honest that I kinda don't really agree that these things alone say much about what someone can take away from a series; but we'll see if it builds something off of its premise or not.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Isn't it normal for shonen characters to be limited by stamina? It feels like a basic conceit of the genre.

Right, I am saying that a problem I am having is that increasingly the characters are not being limited by stamina. I.e they keep being able to keep going doing big flashy moves over and over without stopping. An example of what I mean is in Naruto which for a while made some kind of effort to make a big deal out of stamina/chakra limits before gradually not really caring anymore.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
One thing that struck me as kinda odd about the game for Blue Reflection is she starts off with this happy hoppy run cycle which is not only a little odd because humans don't run like that but (spoilered in case this hasn't happened in the first episode) she shouldn't be able to when you realize she actually has a serious knee injury that she's still recovering from.

If I very slightly nudge the stick she will walk but its agonizingly slow but her run cycle is a little off putting.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Vivy gets really suddenly heavy in the second episode :ohdear:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
86 looks really interesting. I'm not quite sure how though that: It is specifically that squadron that seems to make people go crazy with what I presume is PTSD? But not any other squadron that seems to be just as bad if not worse? The "86" troopers (regular humans vs I presume quasi immortal designer baby humans?) all seem oddly well adjusted to boot.

e: I decided to give Mushoku Tensei a look and it's actually really good.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 11, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'll definitely be following it! Interesting Ender's Game vibes to it now that I think about it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

kater posted:

Me, repeatedly deciding not to start megalo box 2: but I don’t wanna watch something good I want to watch traaaaash

Be the trash you want to be! :D

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There isn't a close analogy, but there are things that are maybe in the ballpark. Like Roman auxiliary troops recruited from migrating peoples. I don't get the sense that the "drones" are slaves, after all that wouldn't make sense; but clearly yeah they are at the bottom of the hierarchy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

This seems like a silly argument because like all isekai are ripping each other off nowadays.

I'm a Spider so What was published as a WN originally in lets see, 2015. That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime is 2013 to 2016 as a Web Novel. So technically Slime was first but I think there's definitely some salt to be pinched as to whether for sure Slime was an influence on Spider when there's probably some other web novel of reincarnating to a cockroach or grasshopper that probably existed even earlier.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Familiar of Zero is I hear a very old example of isekai (oldest though is Alice in Wonderland), in this specific example though we want to consider an isekai where you reincarnate as a dragon or some other creature. So not like the King Arthur story of him being turned into a Mouse because there also needs a component of being in another world.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

divine realms generally count as other worlds and there are a metric fuckton of myths where humans go to one. it's not a new concept.

heck, afterlife parables are isekai stories.

My question was more which story predates Kumo desu ga/Slime Reincarnation in the subgenre of "reincarnates as a monster/other creature".

galagazombie posted:

Everyone always pulls out the "ACTUALLY Alice in Wonderland and Narnia are Isekai!" card but I've never really bought it. Isekai confers a whole list of tropes and cliches that stories like that don't really have. "Goes to a fantasy land" is so broad a genre qualifier as to be useless on it's own.

I like to bring up Alice in Wonderland mainly as a joke (because it's one of those statements the more you think about it the more thought and effort your forced into thinking about it and its fun watching those gears turn). But the main serious reason for pointing it out is to make a point about how nearly all stories share similar structures, such as the Heroes Journey. In Isekai crossing the threshold requires dying while in Alice in Wonderland/Narnia there's a portal instead. This could matter because isekai tend to have buddhist themes about reincarnation/starting over while stuff like Narnia/Alice in Wonderland is more about fixing/protecting what you have with the goal of actually returning to resume where you left off. It's actually not useless but you have to contextualize it in the right discussion framework like Carl Jung and the fact that all of these stories have repeating patterns and structures (I think this is also called Structuralism) to turn around to then discuss why the small differences matter.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DurosKlav posted:

Except Susan, because she dares to like boys more than God. So she gets to live in a world where her family is dead.

What a whore(I am being sarcastic. C.S. Lewis is a POS)

Was it Golden Compass where a different author kinda wanted to write series that acted as a rebuttal to the bullshit in Lewis's work?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is that a Luigi's Mansion reference in the Dragon House Hunters anime?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
When reading scanlations originally of MHA, I liked the translator putting in translation notes, but also like, their thought process for why they made the choices they did.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Brutal Garcon posted:

Saint's Magic Power just decided to get rid of the one vaguely distinctive feature of the main character's design.

Its been a while, can you remind me?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kwyndig posted:

Not her glasses! But glasses girls are cuter!

A glasses girl is always a glasses girl!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Full Dive has some interesting moments but still leans a lot on the dark humour.

e: I'm very confused, is Super Cub not actually about haunted scooters? Is it just a fun and cute slice of life anime of girls enjoying their hobbies? Have I been fooled yet again!?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 15, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
A scooter would be cool but the temptation to not exercise would be too great for me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The plot thickens in the Childhood Friend Won't Lose! Romcom.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Colonel posted:

i like gundam not because they have deep antiwar messages but because they have cute characters and funny jokes, and amuro and char viciously want to gently caress each other

Make love not war!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
JK o Hirou: "Your code is buggy we can't sell this product."
Me, a software developer: "Pfffffft hahahahaha."

e: I'm wondering if the dynamic that's going to end up going on is like, salaryman is turned down by his boss, but because by taking in a runaway he's motivated to take care of himself better, and makes people think he was suddenly snatched up, it made his boss take interest in him? And because he's taking better care of himself, it made the other coworker who seems to have had a thing for him already much more intense. The plot thickens.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 17, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If you listen carefully, you can hear the lamentations of slimes everywhere.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Me watching Nagataro: "Why does anyone actually drink V8 juice? It's disgusting."

Kwyndig posted:

They sell smaller displacement super cubs in japan so she probably doesn't have the 125cc engine.

Can't compete in Mario cart at that speed. :smith:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Nagataro is interesting because there's two elements I think I see, one is a control things, where her messing with what's his face feels like its her way of feeling in control; then there's the way I am pretty sure she's basically playing chicken against herself, trying to see how close she can bring herself to not being in control.

e to add: I dunno how its going to resolve so far but I feel like Vivy's Song is probably the stand out science fiction show of the season. It's like if you took Terminator; I, Robot; and Looper and smashed them together to make something about just as awesome as it sounds.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 18, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Strange Quark posted:

I don't see how anyone would understand what goes on in the TWEWY anime if they weren't already familiar with the game.

What if our only experience with it is from Kingdom Hearts?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Strange Quark posted:

as a kingdom hearts fan you should be already familiar with not understanding things

I'm going to be honest when people talk about how the plot of KH is like impenetrable or whatever, I don't really see it as being any worse than your average anime.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Omnicrom posted:

Broadly, I second this. The reason Kingdom Hearts gets called impenetrable is because the overall storyline is ridiculously convoluted, not because it's actually complicated. Fundamentally, the series has good guys who are fairly simply good who fight bad guys who are fairly simply bad and it really isn't much more elaborate than that. There's a bunch of terms and concepts and a giant pile of characters, but the terms and concepts are all fairly simple and the characters are pretty stock.

The people I kind of pity when it comes to KH are the ones who are trying to get ahead of the curve in figure out whatever the deep setting mysteries or whatever are in advance of the obligatory superlong dialogue scene where someone explains in great detail what's going on. Because it is very apparent that on a certain level the games actually don't care about whatever bees there are that collectively get in the fandom's bonnets, Kingdom Hearts' plot is more or less an excuse for people to go to Disney movies and fight monsters. Maybe once upon a time it was worth it to speculate, but nearly 2 decades in? Just repeat to yourself it's just a showgame and you should really just relax.

I don't think I buy this, it isn't being written by JJ Abrams/Disney, you have a legit Japanese auteur writers managing things in Nomura (as much as a mix bag as that is along with say any Hideo Kojima title for better or worse), I think there is a plot with actual story beats and themes behind it that makes it worth playing and experiencing. Roxas as a character for example doesn't elicit the emotional response it typically does from the fanbase without the story in general that isn't rehashing said Disney movies actually does have something going for it and character beats that do deliver.

Sure trying to predict what happens next is about as fruitful as guess the next episode of Lost or equivalent "Mystery Box" narrative device unfolding mystery/thriller thing but I think you're selling it a tad short here. Its fun partly because we're not sure whats going to happen next, but it sticks with us because you got moments that connect with the audience and those moments land.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phobophilia posted:

Again, led by British Officers, and used to police other states within the greater Empire, and routinely put down by even better armed British regulars.

You're being far too caught up on specific historical examples and ignoring that this is still a story and the precise historical accuracy to past atrocities is probably going to take a backseat to the drone warfare allegory. Also just because something didn't happen in history doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

First 9 years is maybe reading into the events of the show (spoken by an Alba I point out) too charitably, its possible there had been tensions for years, decades, centuries and the war finally gave the Albans their pretext.

But for a specific example might be the Ukrainians the Nazi's armed, they were certainly an underclass and probably would have been eliminated after the war; but there are other analogous examples, like Roman auxiliaries made up of peoples trying to seek refuge in Rome and accepted fighting on Rome's behalf for that chance.

I'm not sure if it makes sense if they have kill switches because there's the risk of hacking or jamming by the enemy, maybe they do have regular forces squared away somewhere if it comes down to it. There's a lot about the world we don't know still.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Forgall posted:

He's an rear end in a top hat and I enjoy hating him.

Same.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The Jannisaries iirc didn't "take over" the Ottomans but they did exercise a considerable degree of influence and have a great deal of powers and privileges of being a part of such a elite class entailed but it isn't like they declared themselves the Caliph. They're more like the Praetorian Guard in Rome where the people who are ostensibly are supposed to protect the Emperor are also in a position to choose who gets to be Emperor.

A better analogy is like a combination of penal battalions during WW2 by the Soviets mixed with Roman Auxiliaries.

e: A quick look at wikipedia suggests ghilman, slave soldiers that predate the jannissary corps in the islamic world. The Confederacy during the Civil War tried to use slaves as soldiers, that's actually probably closest along with Osttruppen during WW2.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

Only at the very end of the war; the idea never got far enough for any slaves to actually fight for the Confederacy.

But the idea was considered, in circumstances that broadly align with the premise of the show; so it isn't exactly implausible or ridiculous to conceive.