Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Overpowered characters can work, as long as you have plots that don't rely entirely on fighting, and its merely a tool that they can use for some situations and not every situation. Overlord is a good example of this. Ainz could probably single-handedly conquer the entire world, but because he doesn't know if there is some other ultra-powerful enemy out there, he has to act cautiously. He is constantly dealing with things like politics and other things that can't be ideally solved with violence. It also focuses on other characters that aren't the overpowered protagonist, and they might face actual consequences.

Log Horizon is another good example, because it manages to make things interesting despite most of the characters being immortal.

Slime's protagonist might very briefly be inconvenienced, but they don't really ever struggle. If they ever face failure, a solution will soon fall into their laps to fix everything.

I think you misread me a bit, I am not saying what I am saying as a judgment as to the use of the trope in its entirety across all genres and subgenres; and I'm also not actually going as far as to analyze or base any decisions on how well or badly the trope is being utilized. Only to say that, "This specific tropes as I currently see it in anime I have had my fill and prefer to see something different." This isn't a binary "this trope is good or bad" value judgment, only that basically as a trend that I've seen a lot of in anime "recently" its a bit oversaturated and rather than try to filter out better examples I'd prefer to visit a different well entirely; just explaining my current preference and that the first episode of Slime way back when was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm really not sure if it makes sense to try to critique an anime based on how its historical set dressing doesn't quite match a specific set of circumstances that you're aware of. People can subjectively decide whether a particular show works for them but that's a weird hang up to have.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Spider finished on a high note.

I'm currently watching Record of Ragnorok, I like how it makes pretty effective use of limited animation to really sell the action and dramatic tension. Although I imagine I am missing out on some good face expressions.