Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Super Cub's Mish Mash cafe was great and I loved the BC license plate on the wall. Plus also Koguma convincing Reiko of the glory of handle bar warmers.

Such a great show and easily my favorite of the season

Def a fan of smug Reiko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I didn't make the connection that "paisen" was "senpai" with it's syllables reversed until it was said aloud in the anime.

I suppose it's way more obvious when written with kanji.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Endorph posted:

uma musume season 2 is actually very good.

that said cygames mobage bribery blurays feel a bit like cheating.

I generally don't care about sports anime. Is it still worth it?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Doodles posted:

^^^
Yes, AniChart now defaults to Summer, so time to start thinking of what comes in July.

Just a reminder that "Super Cub" is one of the most underrated anime series this Spring, and it deserves any accolades it gets.

Windshields, man. WINDSHIELDS!

How can this girl ride around at near freezing temps in a skirt. She’s the real iron-blooded orphan.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Most definitely.

Okay, I will admit, this gave me a good sensible chuckle.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I can't believe the Super Cub has taken another life. Truly a devious machine.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Was this episode of slime anime origional? I can't imagine that it would have worked all that well as a manga chapter.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

86 is my show of the season. Vivy was very good up until the last episode or two and is really struggling to stick this landing.

Nagatoro is a great rendition of the manga. Really love that.

I continue to look forward to Super Cub each week.

Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun has been pretty blah, except for Iruma's evil cycle arc. I could honestly skip everything else this season.

300 Years of killin' slimes is a great little show.

Kumo Desu Ga, Nani Ka, is really hampered by the lovely studio it got saddled with. In the hands of a better studio it would been competing for AOTS.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Next time your family member falls in a ditch, don't call 911, call your local Honda (R) dealer.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

She didn't even give her her coat while she drove her back!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Davincie posted:

its a rewrite from the manga. in the manga koguma wants to call an ambulance but shii-chan stops her cause she feels guilty about breaking her dad's expensive bike and doesn't want to worry her parents. she also princess carries shii-chan

This is a much more human scene rather than this weird thing we got in today's show.

Koguma just comes off as this weird alien who's totally unconcerned with the safety of Shii as she takes her time getting her out of the water, leaves her shivering on the side of the road while she calls her friend to ask if she wants to hang out at her place, and then drives the girl suffering from hypothermia back to her place in wet clothing without offering her coat in the basket of her bike while refusing to call emergency services.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 17, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Space Flower posted:

i was going to say "in the anime's defense..." for a bit in regards to how the characters are approached but then i realized colonel was just thinking about the princess carry

She does still princess carry her in the anime when she dumps Shii into her basket.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Davincie posted:

they also cleaned up a lot of the rougher edges from the original work to make it more advertiser friendly, like mentions of her mom, the nudism and the murder

Blood for the Cub God.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Terry van Feleday posted:

Regarding Super Cub, I'm just gonna crosspost from twitter:

Koguma's handling of the rescue was patently awful but also a sharp bit of writing as a natural extension of who Koguma is. Her extreme isolation & lack of people to rely on has given her a wilful independence that leads her to try & solve problems by herself, but she's been totally reliant on her cub as a crutch for interacting with the outside world in any capacity, unable to consider even basic modes of concern that don't involve it as a mediator. Calling an ambulance isn't even part of her available grammar. (Note the externalizing language she keeps using: "My cub is coming", "thank my cub" etc.) Just letting the others into her home, her safe space, is a big step and clearly puts strain on her, she's totally emotionally ill-equipped to deal with Shii's entire situation

It's wild for an Iyashikei work to put its protag on a spot like this where all her worst qualities & insufficiencies are magnified to an extent that legit puts another's life at risk, but it works super well for contextualizing the end of the ep, where she becomes very aware of those and how far Shii is actually ahead of her as someone who can reach out to people intuitively & climb out of a depressive funk on her own resources without rebuilding her entire personality around A Honda Product™

(I do think it would've been interesting if this event put a strain on Koguma & Shii's relationship, but also I get that Shii is extremely the kind of person who'd see Koguma's approach as cool & mature rather than dangerously irresponsible)

I dunno man. Everyone around her, and even Shii's parents seems to think she did an awesome bang up job in her rescue. I don't think the author was making a point about Koguma being incredibly socially inept to the point of nearly killing Shii. I think it was supposed to be a legitimately heroic rescue.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Were there any successful crunchyroll originals?

Shield Hero.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Kabaneri went to poo poo the instant Bibi appeared two thirds of the way in and derailed everything. That show would've been AOTY 2016 if he never existed. The movie at least redeemed the franchise.

Listen, Kabaneri is AOTS simply for that one ripped engineer they spent like half an episode’s budget animating.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

What shows are people looking forward to for the next season?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Willo567 posted:

I just felt that it invalidated all of the girls work in saving Saga with the alien laser

Having not watched anything beyond episode 1 of this season, I *neuron activation*'d and clicked that spoiler and what the gently caress.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

A month plus, minimum. It went even smoother than Gridman, and that one was an absurdly calm ride. They had nearly complete animation ready by the time they did voiceover.

Wait, don't they normally do voiceover first then animate to that?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Arist posted:

Not in Japan, apparently! That's nuts to me every time I hear it.

Wild, that must really limit the freedom of the VA's to emote and act to the animation.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Maxwell Adams posted:

You might be surprised by just how bad it got.

https://i.imgur.com/vGMP8Ch.mp4

Look at it.

You were so distracted by the badly tiling textures, you didn't even notice that the characters on the right are 2d sprites.

Bonus: this scene takes place in a forest, but they're re-using the desert scene, which they already re-used for another battle, in a completely different place, earlier that episode.

On the plus side, the enormous public gently caress up of missing the finale may finally doom this lovely studio.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Endorph posted:

i too furiously masturbate when i think of people losing their jobs for the crime of being the victim of the ridiculous overproduction of anime currently going on in japan

No one wants people to loose their good jobs. It's clear however that working at this studio is not a good job as they have consistently put out garbage work and have missed deadlines.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Squidster posted:

How did 86 turn out? Is it worth catching up on?

I really enjoyed it and it got me to start the light novels

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

kater posted:

I haven’t watched the last ep of 86 but very surprised it’s a split cour. Very surprised there’s even a last episode tbh but I guess you can do anything you want.

There's a good stopping point in the story for the cour.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

dogsicle posted:

i liked ep 9 as stop since now it has this whole cliffhanger that is too mean for me to wait a whole season on

Can always read the LN!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wark Say posted:

When they say that the first season tackles the first volume as a whole, is it just this chunk or does this include the 2nd cour when it restarts in October as well?

Almost all of the first LN is covered in cour 1. There's a bit at the end of the LN 1 it doesn't tackle, but that totally makes sense given how the original LN 1 was a self contained story and it gave closure to a bunch of threads that now have way more time to breath with it being turned into a series.

It also portrays a bit from the second LN in the last two episodes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

dogsicle posted:

enjoyed the vanitas premiere

bungo stray dogs seems like the most apt comparison point, in terms of solidly-produced fujo shows and just general tone (SD comedy interludes, yet with drama and future tragedy). but really its all in line with the other and older/uglier/sometimes worse shows like d.gray man or black butler.

i'll read owari no seraph, so don't bug me about it at this time.

Vanitas's first episode was great.

Really was not enjoying EP1 of Peach boy. Ended up dropping it about halfway through. Maybe I'll come back and finish the episode later, but it took me about 45 minutes to watch the 12 minutes I did because I kept stopping it because I was so bored.

Not really sure what they are going to do with Bakarina to spice things up as it would get pretty stale if they just continued with the vignettes in the status quo.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Really was not enjoying EP1 of Peach boy. Ended up dropping it about halfway through. Maybe I'll come back and finish the episode later, but it took me about 45 minutes to watch the 12 minutes I did because I kept stopping it because I was so bored.

Ended up finishing episode one of peach boy. I guess there's a hook there. I'm still not terribly invested, and hearing that it's out of chronological order just further puts off watching it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Reik posted:

The octopus thing in peach boy ep1 was really loving weird.

Yeah it comes out of nowhere and I'm like "I guess this is a hentai now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Davincie posted:

look at who the authors are

*Sees Kobayashi's Dragon Maid*

Ahhh it's all clear now. It makes perfect sense.