Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

April Fools!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

it's just a compilation movie i think

There's a compilation with a few new scenes that's been out for a bit, and there's an entirely new movie (I believe it's a movie anyway) being worked on currently.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't care if the teasing tsundere show has a Dark Secret Past

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

It's not a secret lol

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't care

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Vivy seems interesting IMO. Still waiting to see the writing tip its hand a bit more (and I thought killing the girl with the obvious death flags the way it did was a bit of an eye-roller) but I'm mostly picking up what it's putting down, I think. The production is pretty shiny in much the way I've come to expect from WIT, too.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know how Slime Diaries came out as a full-length 23-minute episode show. I don't necessarily mind, but it's not what I would have remotely expected of this sort of thing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I've got about a third of the episode left but frankly it's been pretty boring IMO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mean I was being serious when I said I was bored but I wasn't as into S1 as most people anyway so I might just be an aberration

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The second episode of dynazenon showed that the protag wears glasses at home and he looks way better that way than in his default design imo

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I like it when Domon Kasshu goes all "SHINING FINGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nagatoro is extremely good, except for the people who are constantly super weird about it

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

(Also, those shamisen they're all using cost anywhere between 100k and 350k JPY. :stare:)

That's ~1-3000 USD, right? That honestly doesn't seem strange at all IMO. I was a band nerd through college and, while student models can come in at a couple hundred dollars, they can also sound pretty bad. Generally a good-sounding, professional quality instrument will run you a good few thousand dollars. And I've seen larger instruments - like Baritone Saxophones, for example - come in closer to 8000 dollars.

Music is expensive!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hot take #1: Nagatoro is obviously exactly the sort of teen who would use the word "sus" in general conversation

Hot take #2: I think the new Madoka movie could be good or it could be bad, and I will decide which I think it is once it has actually been made and I have actually watched it

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thoom posted:

There's also the most important Madoka spinoff manga, Homura Tamura.

Is the Magia Record anime self-contained or does it end a "hope you like gacha if you want the rest of the story" note?

It's self-contained except that it ends on a cliffhanger. The next season has been officially announced to be a thing but we still don't have any details on like ETA or anything.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Whatever you do, definitely make sure you don't go looking for :filez: of that movie that may or may not be floating around. That would be wrong.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That molcar murdered 3 people

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

One Piece seems very good at what it's trying to do, unfortunately what it's trying to do makes my eyes bleed

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I think Blue Reflection's *trying* to be the sort of show I really like and just not quite *getting there* IMO - which hey so far that's enough for me to *enjoy watching* more then a few shows I think are *better TV*, lol.

Doing a good job of making me wonder how it's going to try and hold itself together on the way to wherever it's trying to go.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

i wouldnt really call it 'dark bad edgy,' this most recent episode was written with way more empathy and compassion than a ton of similar shows. if anything id say it explicitly avoids the trap stuff like wonder egg falls into. like it managed to get through an entire episode about compensated dating and prostitution without ever once going 'now, child prostitution is a very serious issue plaguing society, but also, AYY, LADS?' like a lot of stuff would. granted im not sure the show's art quality could achieve the herculean task of sexualization, but still.

like iunno when i think about how blue reflection handles a child abuse backstory ep (mostly showing her reactions and mental state, the scenes where you see actual abuse taking place or get anything from her mother probably amount to a minute and a half, tops) versus how say, wonder egg handles it (constant flashbacks to the moments something bad happened, a giant wacky inflatable tube monster that loudly yells about how beating children is good and also they're a pedophile and let me tell you more about this), one is vastly better handled than the other.

the way i would describe it is that while blue reflection feels the need to depict this stuff, it takes no real pleasure in doing so, versus something like wegg or similar 'dark edgy magical girl shows' like mahou shoujo site, where... im not saying those shows think child abuse is good, or anything, but they're clearly getting a kind of transgressive thrill out of depicting it.

In fairness, this is also a show where one of the main villains so far is a cartoon sadomasochist who spends about half of her lines on making sex noises at inopportune moments.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Super Cub the secret AOTS

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Allarion posted:

86 was initially written with one volume in mind, in that it actually has a conclusive ending. It was just successful enough that it got additional volumes which then continued the story but had to walk back that original ending temporarily since it was a pretty set end.

Without getting too spoilery - how do they walk it back? Is the end of V1 like a post-timeskip thing that the later volumes backfill? Or is V1's ending retconned out somehow?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Brutal Garcon posted:

It's plants you can stand on.

Except when you can't

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Wark Say posted:

How many of Gainax's IP's have gone to either Khara or Trigger?

I think Gainax still has Gun/Diebuster? Not sure about anything else.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

however i will say that it's very notable that nobody's mentioned gridman's actual protagonist when talking about gridman having better characters.

What do you mean, people talk about Akane all the time

In all seriousness Dynazenon's biggest weakness for me is that after 10 episodes Yomogi is maybe only a half-step more interesting as a character than Yuta was despite Dynazenon presumably not planning on echoing Gridman's twist of Yuta being an empty cipher literally being one of the final twists of the show, and all the interesting stuff about the rest of the cast suffers from being filtered through the perception of a bland dude just kind of helicoptering around the whole thing. Like this week's episode is unambiguously a successor to Gridman's standout dream episode, but where in Gridman each of our protagonists - even bland, empty Yuta! - had to individually confront and choose to reject Akane's depressive solipsism by themselves and for their own reasons, in Dynazenon they're all just actively pulled out of it by the most boring character in the show. I actually groaned out loud when, after seemingly starting to finally give Yomogi some actual personal conflict to engage with in his own dream world, he just snaps out of it by himself because "I GOTTA SAVE MY GIRLFRIEND."

The visual execution is as immaculate as Gridman's but the emotional core of the show feels safer at best and downright dull at worst.

Also Gridknight and Ano's new designs are cool and I don't dislike having them around but I can't help but notice that they haven't....actually....done anything? Besides punch stuff I guess.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

honestly yomogi reads to me like a male version of rikka, in that his role is to just be a relatively reasonable, normal person who has a few foibles and personality flaws but isn't really going to experience a huge dramatic shift. the main difference is that most of the characters around him are also pretty reasonable, since dynazenon is a more lowkey show. its mostly about like, regrets, what-ifs, the realization that all you can really do is move on with what you have in front of you. its more a gradual perspective shift, not the big dramatic turnaround of gridman. even this episode isnt nearly as cathartic as gridman was - some details even go out of their way to make things less dramatic, less worldshattering. that sort of storytelling difference could definitely read a lot duller to some people and thats fair but im really into it personally.

The two problems I see with this are 1.) Rikka wasn't the main character in Gridman, whether you think of Akane or Yuta as the protagonist, and I at least didn't necessarily expect her to carry the same sort of emotional weight that I would of a good protag and 2.) I wouldn't actually say that the rest of the cast is "more reasonable" than Gridman's at all. Gauma's obviously a Loud Ridiculous Trigger Man From Fantasy Land, Chise and Koyomi are hikki dropouts with obvious and massive social issues, and Yume is of course dealing with grief over her sister in ways that are explicitly driving antisocial behavior at the show's outset. This is all fine and I actually thought it was a more promising start at the show's outset. The problem is that then your lead character whose eyes we spend 90% of our time looking out of is just....fine. The protagonist of the show entitled "Scarred Souls Shine like Stars Dynazenon" doesn't actually seem to have any particular scars as of 10 episodes in, aside from some *extremely* vague awkwardness with his stepdad that we've done next to nothing with since episode 1. And that's...not....bad, per se, it certainly doesn't actively strike me as lovely or ethically wrongheaded like a lot of the stuff that drove me away from the back half of Wonder Egg, for example. It's just....kinda dull IMO?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also just for the record I don't think Dynazenon is bad at all, it's just a disappointment relative to the extremely high hopes I had coming off of Gridman. Basically all my complaints with the writing are less "this is bad" and more "this could have been more pointed or interesting than it is". Getting an A- when I hoped for an A+.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh the other thing I'll say about Dynazenon - I think it really suffers from not having as clear a villain as Gridman did with Alexis Kerib. By episode 10 of Gridman I knew more or less exactly what Alexis' deal was and I loving loathed him for what he represented. The Kaiju Eugenecists are much more vague and difficult to invest in IMO.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Show's nice IMO, a good friendly B+, only slightly behind the Slime Diaries show for nice fluffy fantasy slice of life

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Super Cub is my AOTS, To Your Eternity and Slime Diaries need more love

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lol even if I had wound up not being desperately bored with Dynazenon, a direct sequel/crossover announcement is basically the opposite of what I'd want for either series.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

why is everyone being so aggro about the boxing show

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

All I want from Maidragon is for them to skip the story with the dick. They can leave in all the other ~problematic~ stuff if they must, but please, please, just skip the story with the dick.

Anyway I'll be watching Maidragon S2, Aquatope, Slime, MagiReco S2 if it does indeed happen this season, Love Live, continuing TYE, Blue Reflection (if it doesn't die?) and MHA, might try Jahy. Will also catch the Wonder Egg finale just to see how they try to wrap up that mess.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

maidragon already hit the absolute pits of what they could possibly adapt from it in the ova, so i'm not sure why you'd be most concerned about the dick chapter specifically when it's already gone somewhere as bad

because I personally think the dick chapter is more mean-spirited and gross op

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Okay I'll regret pushing this button but I'm confused to why destroying an invading army that itself was explicitly bent on genocide and had already massacred a bunch of civilians is itself genocide.

You don't even have to like it as a story beat, I think it's pretty ham-handed myself, but that's literally not what genocide is.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't watch slime or particularly care about it so I could be wrong but I think from what people have said its more that apparently he also murks all the surrendering soldiers/non combatants too that didn't sit well with people? I dunno if that's accurate or a misrepresentation but that's what I've seen discussed.

There's a shot of a few soldiers throwing down their swords and giving up before getting murk'd anyway, but it's not like some army en-masse thing, and again, these are members of an invading force that was itself explicitly bent on actual genocide up until the literal instant it was clear that they were about to get magi-nuked.

Like, again, I think the recent arc has been kind of a lame dark turn, it's not High Art or anything, but even by the least charitable interpretation possible the protagonist literally isn't doing anything resembling a genocide and the fixation on calling it that is weird imo

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

My two simplest beefs with Wonder Egg is that I wanted it to do more with Neiru and with Koito and it felt like the final episode was designed for the explicit purpose of telling me to go gently caress myself lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

She lives...........