Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Vivy is not what I expected when I read a synopsis that said “idol robot wants to make people happy with singing” and I am here for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Vivy seems interesting IMO. Still waiting to see the writing tip its hand a bit more (and I thought killing the girl with the obvious death flags the way it did was a bit of an eye-roller) but I'm mostly picking up what it's putting down, I think. The production is pretty shiny in much the way I've come to expect from WIT, too.

I'm actually glad it got it out of the way now and doesn't insult our intelligence by playing coy over whether the obvious Kyubey expy is an rear end in a top hat for 10 episodes.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Just lol at everyone in this thread jumping to defend the guy for being a victim of Japan's excessive drug laws and it turns out he was stealing money from grandmas.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Everyone always pulls out the "ACTUALLY Alice in Wonderland and Narnia are Isekai!" card but I've never really bought it. Isekai confers a whole list of tropes and cliches that stories like that don't really have. "Goes to a fantasy land" is so broad a genre qualifier as to be useless on it's own.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I'm generally against a dub adding in any "hip" lingo unless the nature of the story or comedy really depends on the slang of a particular time/place to work. It instantly dates things in a bad way like the pop-culture references in a Dreamworks animation, where it's often outdated before the filming is even finished.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Electric Phantasm posted:

With Dragon House Hunting it referenced Luigi's Mansion and Resident Evil visually so too late for that.

Luigi's Mansion and Resident Eil are classics and like, 20 years old. That's not really current.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
As Davincie said about 86, The Jannisaries and Mamluks provide ample real life example of "Let's use slaves as the cornerstone of our military and our most elite force, what could go wrong!". Both examples also ended in the Mamluks/Jannisaries saying "If I'm the one with the sharp objects why aren't I in charge?" and taking over their respective empires. So the 86'ers doing it would just be a page right out of history and I'd bet money on a mutiny/escape plan being in the world near the series end.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I want to respect One Piece because it dared to do something different than anything else and have an art style that wasn’t just another interchangeable shonen battle manga. And the artist is doing it as a legitimate and consistently done artistic choice. But it’s so goddamn hideous. And not like say Dorohedoro where it’s the world of the story that’s hideous. Or like some Junji Ito horror comic where the art itself is part of the mood. It’s just revolting to look at in a fundamental way that it isn’t supposed to be. I instinctually want to take a flamethrower to all the characters, Especially when they do that square mouth crying face.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Isekai may be the big and flashy trend right now, but "Cute Girls get into a hobby but are very chill about it" has been on a sharp upturn the last few years. Stuff like Yuru Camp and Super Cub.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I know they’ve always been drawn this way but something about Lupin’s hands has always been gross looking to me. It’s almost like he’s got little fibers growing out of his knuckles.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Which one is Judas?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Admittedly sometimes an anime can look like it's going to tick off all the boxes for being total trash and end up being great, like Vivy. All the blurbs advertising Vivy used words like "Idol" and "Make other happy with singing!" and had an image of some Hatsune Miku knockoff doing a sexy pose. I immediately threw it in the garbage can without a second thought and it seems like a lot of other people did too. Then after the first double episode comes out you start hearing whispers from people that watched that it was totally brutal and had evil robots and explosions and kung-fu. And all of a sudden it's one of my favorite shows in years and everyone else seems to be picking it up after previously ignoring it. I don't know whether it was just bad advertising or if they were doing a thing like Madoka where they kinda pretended they were making another generic magical girl show before biting off Mami's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I remember Ga-Rei Zero introduced it's cast of characters, showed off their unique powers and gimmicks and explained the main character's tragic past/revenge story and then brutally killed them all at the end of the first episode to set up the villain the actual main characters introduced in the second episode.
On a similar note the second Boogiepop series wasn't quite like that, but it used a weird a-chronological narrative so the first episode is basically about someone hearing that exciting stuff is about to happen, and then at the end of the episode learning all the exciting stuff wrapped up before he got there. Though the shows whole conceit is we do eventually get to see the exciting stuff, the episodes are just based on viewpoints rather than strict chronology.