Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The 7th Guest posted:

what happens if a person is hit by a truck and killed and sent to a fantasy world, but then struck by a carriage in the fantasy world and killed

Minky Momo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm pretty sure it's just because heroes work with law enforcement but there's a pretty overt throughline about how the current society is letting people down and in many ways responsible for creating villains.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Srice posted:

Much like many of the american superhero comics it's inspired by, the biggest concern of the good guys in MHA is keeping the status quo intact.

I don't know if this has been explored (or closed off) later in the manga but there's a lot of text about how the status quo is both unstable and not working, and not just because they no longer have King Cop. If it never pays that off then yeah it's ~problematic~ but as far as I know, the question of "are villains a structural problem and not just a bunch of fuckers" is still open.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm also capable of believing in a fictional/theoretical system with good intentions, particularly in what's effectively scifi, without believing that systems are inherently good or that the one we are living in is. Not all society needs to be authoritarian or copaganda. Much less the fact that MHA has, at least for now, satisfied me that it intends to subject its system to at least a bit of nuance.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I agree that Yomogi is a conspicuous weak link in SSSS.DYNAZENON but comparing him to Akane is ridiculous and wilfully missing a lot about both shows.

The thing Dynazenon is having is that the central relationship in SSSS.GRIDMAN was Rikka and Akane. It was very aware that Yuta was there to fight. The focus relationship in SSSS.DYNAZENON is between Yomogi and Yume, and this episode more than ever Yomogi isn't really holding up his end.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I went a bit up and down on last week's episode but combined with this one it feels a little like having written all these interesting checks for its cast, Dynazenon is trying to cash them all very quickly before the finale.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There's nothing wrong with Yomogi, but he hasn't earned any of the big moments where he smashes perspective into everyone else just by existing and being nice, and we still have almost no visibility into his own problem or in what sense he's a subject of the regrets/friendship thing. Unless they're saving that for a connection with Gauma at the very end? But come on, Gridman was laying the groundwork for Anti and Rikka long before this point.

I don't think this show is a retread of Gridman at all, but I'm not sure what it is. This episode just snaps that into focus because, from what I'm gathering from a lot of people like this, it feels extremely sudden and the episode itself seems to be using style to add weight that isn't landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The Eugenicists are cool (don't take this out of context), the show's just playing its cards super close to its chest with them as well, considering how late it is (this is still 13 episodes, right?)

I don't know, maybe the show will hard focus on paying off Yomogi, Gauma, Juuga and Sizumu in the last few episodes and we'll come back to this with different feelings.