Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
:gas::gas::gas:

Oh poo poo yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

86 seems like it's trying to muse on both racism and the dehumanization of drone warfare. Except, historically speaking, slave soldiers who are also pushed to the bottom of the social hierarchy is really not a Thing. You can have slave soldiers, but they actually gain disproportionate political power (Mamluks, Janissaries). You can have all-consuming dehumanizing racism (like antebellum slavery), and this actually precludes your ability to be trained for warfare (lest these slave soldiers become a threat). But not both at the same time.

And jfc drunk at 9am? That's too far even for me.

Actually, it was a thing at least once - the British Empire bought slaves to serve in the West India Regiments, where they guarded the Empire's Caribbean colonies. They were treated as inferior to white soldiers, although this faded a little over time as they demonstrated both their military value and their willingness to mutiny when mistreated.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh, hey, neat.

https://twitter.com/anime/status/1383429806516105217?s=21

For anyone unfamiliar with it, this is one of the few isekai that feels like it has actual mature, professional writing rather than being a simple amateur power fantasy. It's a charming, solidly-executed classic fantasy adventure with a faint tinge of melancholy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Giving guns to people who you then treat as subhumans has obvious disadvantages. Despite this, there are plenty of historical examples. There's a reason the British Empire in particular had to deal with so many mutinies and uprisings.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

99% of the things you guys associate with tumblr were psyops by alt-right guys

Hey now, a whole bunch of it was just kids being kids and figuring out their identities and preferences in a public forum. There was undoubtedly some right-wing bullshit around it that accentuated the negatives, but let's allow literal children on the Internet some agency in their capacity to be weird and embarrassing all on their own, eh?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

One thing that pleases me about 86 is that I-IV is getting more high-profile mechanical design work. They deserve it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

thats why its homophobia, i want her to keep sucking because thats lesbian representation

Have you considered the possibility that the sequel will be even more disastrously gay, though?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

What was the Nagatoro racism thing about, anyway?

A racist got mad because the English translation of a slangy Japanese script used slang he wasn't particularly familiar with.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think in general the whole trend of 'hey, this anime based on this ln did super well, lets adapt the authors other works' never really pans out that well. big order isnt as popular as index/railgun, accel world isnt as popular as sao - i think the only time i can think of that the two things have achieved similar popularity is maoyuu and log horizon.

You mean Heavy Object, right? Big Order was by the Future Diary guy - and yeah, that didn't live up to the earlier work's popularity either.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of gacha adaptations, I do wonder if Replicant being another Yoko Taro megahit is going to push a SINoALICE anime up the priority list.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

wielder posted:

Back Arrow 17: What's beyond the wall? Another wall, of course. My half-kidding aside, the big reveal seems to be next week.

But this time was quite fun nonetheless. Shu and Arrow really should get more scenes together, plus things escalated quickly and Zetsu really is the MVP when it comes to battles.

Regarding Back Arrow, I always find myself slightly more sympathetic to Peath than I probably should be. Like, yeah, he's your basic slimy, backstabbing politician, but he projects this aura of constant, low-level terror that makes it clear he's spent his entire career in way over his head but is trying his best anyway. He gets a bunch of little humanising moments like checking that the capital is evacuated before shoving a gigantic buried dreadnought up through it that make it difficult to completely despise him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I mean, mass international outsourcing to deal with deranged overproduction looks set to be the norm for the anime industry for a long time to come.

https://twitter.com/karoshimyriad/status/1389152254846930945?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i mean jujutsu kaisen wasnt outsourced to deal with overproduction, it was led by korean staff cause there is a group of really talented animators there that they had ties to

Yeah, but the overall pattern within the industry is definitely trending more towards 'we have a dozen shows to make and not enough animators, holy poo poo, grab anyone you can find with 'animator' in their Twitter bio' than 'this is a talented and experienced team, we should give them some exposure'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah absolutely i was just saying idk why you brought it up when the convo wasnt about that

It's a big and growing driver of anime not being made by Japanese animators, which in turn makes the definition of 'anime' increasingly wobbly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

All of that explains why he gets the power. None of that explains why he uses it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Also, near as I can tell, they're basically living in a redoubt outside the fortified borders of the country, and have reasonable autonomy apart from having killer robots all around them and a minefield and artillery behind them. There's nobody to prevent them from having fun if they so choose.

It's less of a prison camp and more of a besieged ghetto.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/animenewsnet/status/1393083668986572803?s=21

Anime announcement when?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

is 86 good? i feel like after its first episode it came onto my radar, then shortly after the buzz for it took a downturn and it fell off my radar. should i give it a shot?

It's remained very solid, and is actually slightly smarter (and angrier) than it looks at first glance.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The OP promises a fight between Raphael and Zetsu, and I am extremely looking forward to it :suspense:.

I mean, we had a bit of that this episode, didn't we? Assuming you mean Rudolph.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bunch of folks ITT getting extremely mad at the idea of being considerate to people who haven't caught up on all the same media that they have.

The gently caress is it about people going 'hey, can you spoiler-tag this please' that makes goons go all HOW DARE YOU SIR?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Pretty sure "I AM YOUR FATHER" is several dozen tiers of "everyone knows this" over late novel spoilers from Full Metal Panic, so it doesn't matter anyway.

Yeah, lol if you think the non-animated bits of Full Metal Panic have anywhere near as much cultural saturation as one of the biggest multimedia franchises of all time. Just use some basic courtesy and discretion, sheesh.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Megalobox 2 is rock-solid, too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

don't remember if anything about this got posted, but the Artiswitch project is airing the first episode of the anime tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc1h8nVrvnk

details on the project: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-05-14/artiswitch-project-about-harajuku-scene-gets-net-anime-on-may-28/.172768

Mmm, don't like that character design. The short face and huge wide-set eyes are unsettling for me in the same way as Key Visual Arts characters. I mean, a lot of anime characters have something like that, obviously, but this fits into the precise ratio that makes me go 'oh, that's not right'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

looks like a shojo manga style to me

Not super keen on a number of those either, for similar reasons. I dunno, I get this is an anime subforum, but there's something about a very particular kind of big-eyed, tiny-nosed face that I find particularly unsettling.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I know sometimes I live in fear that if I drop a bad anime I'll miss out on hidden gems like the time Wizard Barristers recreated the entire inside of a Lobelaws/Real Canadian Superstore (But the stores was located in the US)

Also, Episode 11 of Wizard Barristers was an absolute revelation in terms of what a production trainwreck really looks like.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

On the one hand, Umeko from These Snow-White Notes is a selfish jerk and a pretty rubbish mother. On the other hand, she spends her entire screentime being the sexiest, most badass person on the planet.

A dilemma for the ages.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Seriously, this was an incredible sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dGezpiZmJU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Mashiro no Oto is even better now that every plot thread has come crashing together into one big family succession drama.

... which the protagonist has absolutely zero interest in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

The whole tournament though just feels like a good chunk of filler. We never characterized any of the competing teams beyond paying lip service to a few individuals, so there's no reason to care or be invested in the group results. I also think it's really tired by now how they keep doing the mystical shamisen worship and still haven't said anything concrete about technique or how the shamisen is played. Does the author know how to play the shamisen? The writing sure doesn't sound like it.

The tournament isn't really about who wins or loses, though. It's about Setsu learning about other styles and philosophies of music in his quest to discover an identity for himself. Like, yeah, his parents care about how he places, but they're pretty clearly in the wrong for it.

Your other complaint is a little odd too, given that the show has been laser-focused on style and technique, and has taken pains to show how its cast of performers look and sound completely different even when playing the same piece of music. It's just that most of the precise mechanics and terminology behind it are treated as assumed knowledge, without lengthy exposition for the audience - someone will just use a particular technique, and the show will expect us to put two and two together about why their music sounds different.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The United States posted:

What animes are like From Dusk Til Dawn levels of deceptive where they are completely one thing for half/a good chunk and then turn into something else entirely?

Usagi Drop. :gonk:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

These Snow White Notes is still very good. The latest episode was a real killer.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

What even was the ending of Rokka? I watched it ages ago and I vaguely recollect that I mostly liked it and that the ending wasn't bad enough to spoil that general feeling? But, all I can remember about the ending is that the girl with bunny ears that could summon swords and was set up as the friend/romantic interest of main protagonist in the beginning turned out to be the traitor working with demons all along and after that got resolved, they found one more corpse which implied that she wasn't the only fake chosen/possible traitor, (also that whole stuff with the obviously suspect half-demon girl being actually innocent and pretty cool and basically a girlfriend of the main protagonist by the end) and that's about it, so I'm almost certainly forgetting stuff.

After they figure out who the real traitor is and escape the trap they're stuck in, another seventh member of the Six Heroes shows up and goes 'hey guys what's going on, did I miss anything'. Roll credits. I found it more amusing than annoying, but a lot of folks were extremely mad about it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I agree with every word you wrote. In a show whwre every character has an implied rich interior life, complex thoughts and feelings Sakuma feels like a stock character. It makes the anti-corporate aspect of the show come off as inauthentic. This was also the weakest part of the first season with Shirato, I feel.

A bunch of billionaires are exactly that kind of vile narcissistic manchild, though? 'Capitalism is a system that rewards inhumanity' has been a pretty consistent theme of this season, and I don't see why the show should shy away from showing exactly what kind of weird, empty monsters can thrive in its broken world.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is, a season that started out looking like it'd be a personal journey doesn't need a cartoon character billionaire villain in it.

The season started out with Joe learning to come to terms with his trauma through solidarity with a refugee population under threat from a land shark employing racism to turn their neighbours against them, and the current conflict is about a guy from the same diaspora who managed to become a superstar because a megacorp turned him into a murder-zombie to hawk their tech to the military. Nomad has never, ever drawn a distinction between the personal and the political, and the main villain is the main villain precisely because he's an enemy of humanity and interiority. Capitalism is narcissism, and narcissism is an eternally hungry void.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Sorry for making so many posts but I'm basically posting as I think it through. I suppose what bugs me about it is having a billionaire tech villain seems like such an easy way out writing wise. I'd also say it's minimizing the culpability of the military here, by presenting Sakuma as an individual providing a product rather than a conspirator. It lacks the texture of reality, even if it makes a valid point, and the first half of the season had that texture if that makes sense.

It's not an easy way out, though, it's an inevitability given the genre and premise. Cyberpunk is dystopian speculative fiction that imagines how technology will enable currently-existing repressive/destructive social structures to further invade our minds, bodies, and souls. Capitalism, meanwhile, is a social structure based on incentivising endless individual accumulation of capital, with society sorting itself into winners and losers in increasingly viciously extreme ways until the most rapacious, least ethical people alive (Rupert Murdoch, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Richard Branson, et cetera, et cetera) end up with unassailable economic/political power. Indeed, there's actually a reasonably broad body of evidence that capitalism selects for the 'dark triad' of narcissism, sociopathy, and Machiavellianism, with CEOs disproportionately exhibiting some combination of the three.

In other words, a capitalist cyberpunk setting will by definition be run by a tiny group of tech CEOs. Likewise, they are exceedingly unlikely to have anything approaching ordinary human levels of empathy, humanity, or interiority because capitalism itself selects against those, and the technological revolution of cyberpunk has, in this case, empowered capitalism. Sakuma's existence is the texture of reality - the world we have seen must exist in the gravitational well of people like him. He must be culpable because culpability is a resource that successful capitalists accumulate alongside everything else.

It would be pleasant to believe that the winners of the great game most of us live in can be complete, healthy human beings rather than empty, grasping freaks, but they've spent enough of the Information Age rubbing their shared psychoses in our faces that we have to accept how unlikely a fantasy that is.

Also, it's really weird to consider the class politics of the original Ashita no Joe 'fake', seeing how closely the story was inspired by his own experiences as a juvenile delinquent turned celebrity author in postwar Japan, and his extensive practical and academic knowledge of combat sports and their socioeconomic dynamics. The unfamiliar isn't automatically inauthentic, chief.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 23, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I mean, the original is inauthentic because by the end the rich girl is presented as the closest thing Joe has to a spiritual equal, this being the reason he passes his gloves on to her, nothing as maudlin as him professing or recognizing his feelings for her. Also, the original ending of the manga was going to be Joe chilling out on her porch with her, which by the manga's own symbolism would represent his domestication! Other rich people who aren't Youko are far more favorably presented. If anything the real tension between Youko and Joe.is that she is a woman playing in a man's world; recall when they discover Carlos' brain damage that Joe threatens to kill her because Carlos' vulnerability isn't for a woman to see. Once Joe becomes successful the poverty he came from is never really used in the plot again. He is assumed to have enough money to do what he needs to do. His poor neighborhood is no longer a place of struggle but a place to make easy jokes about poor people grifting strangers. He improves their morale, but not their material conditions. This is all pretty basic stuff that requires little reading between the lines. The class dynamics in Joe are pure populism, and I'd even go so far as to say it's potentially an affect written to lure in leftist student Garo readers. Osamu Tezuka was doing the same thing at the same time! Ikki Kaniwara's own politics were decidedly right leaning. He may have been class aware, but that is different than actual faith or representation of leftist class politics.

To address Nomad again, to be honest it doesn't really have any more of a politicial consciousness beyond what a primetime tv drama would. Look back to season 1: the veteran story never touched on the military industrial complex, only the personal sufferings of veterans. You can see this same plotline play out at some point on every drama on every major news network. And here, as others have said, the fact that Sakuma is the sole creator of evil and conflict in this arc is what makes it seem unrealistic. It never addresses the system, and the story is in fact sympathetic to Shirato as a "good" CEO who is suspicious of Sakuma.

Also, there are no inevitabilities in fiction. To say otherwise is excusing bad writing, which is what how Sakuma is written in Nomad is. It honestly sounds to me like you're saying it's fine Nomad is boring because it has to be due to its genre! Something having good and correct politics is no excuse for boring writing. And frankly, saying billionaires are evil psychos is a shared bekief between the far right and left wings in America at the moment, and is a pretty uncontroversial position to take.

The thing is that Shirato, like her brother before her, is learning that she can't have her cake and eat it. Being the CEO of a megacorp requires unethical behaviour, and blowing up her deal with Sakuma is probably going to destroy (or at least cripple) her company and trigger a shareholder rebellion. The story seems to be setting her up to willingly take that hit and escape the destructive capitalist race to the top just like Joe and Mac.

I'd also certainly argue that there are inevitabilities in explicitly political fiction, simply because it needs to stay on-message in a way that has a bearing on the real world (as seen through the writer's ideological lens). An environmentalist text, for example, is always going to operate on the premise that artificial climate change is real and important. An anticapitalist text will always operate on the premise that a society built on the selfish, individualist pursuit of power results in the disproportionate concentration of power amongst a few amoral/immoral individuals. Some things are just baked into the argument itself.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Also, it being anticapitalist does nothing to challenge my assertion Sakuma is boring and poorly written.

It kind of does matter if his lack of substance is intentional, given that the series is so heavily focused on presenting a conflict between humanity and social success in a broken society (see also, Santa's constant low-level conflict between being a great reporter and a good friend). That's not bad writing, it's effective thematic consistency.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I'll be honest, while I greatly enjoy Megalobox I don't think the writers are subtle or good enough for this to be the case

I'd strongly suggest reading this interview they did with ANN, in which they talk about their inspirations, the themes they wish to convey, and their respectful-but-critical relationship with Ashita no Joe itself. It mostly focuses on race and gender (in particular, their framing of the self-destructive boxer's spirit as a manifestation of toxic masculinity to escape from rather than a noble, valorous sacrifice), but any writing team that lists Ken loving Loach amongst their major inspirations is pretty much guaranteed to be receptive to a wee bit of anticapitalism.

They really are putting a whole lot of thought into this show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I have read that interview and I think their handling of toxic masculinity is one of the better parts of the show. I just don't agree that Sakuma is handled well!

To change the topic a little has anyone here watched Fairy Ranmaru? It seemed interesting but I haven't heard much about it

I just feel it's both unwise and ungenerous to assume that it's 'bad writing' rather than simply a deliberate, carefully-built artistic endeavour that you personally cannot easily relate to or invest in, especially given how rock-solid the thematic consistency has been so far.

In particular, I feel like the show's blending of the personal and the political means that it doesn't draw a firm distinction between its criticism of toxic masculinity and capitalism - they're joined at the hip throughout. Remember Shirato's all-male board laying into her because she's suddenly not keen on Number Going Up? Sakuma represents the inevitable, awful final evolution of both - a billionaire (because of course he's a billionaire) dudebro (because of course he's a bro) who lives only for heroism without morality and progress without direction. He doesn't even act out of malice or cruelty, because those would require a connection with and acknowledgement of another human being that he's completely incapable of. He just wants to be the greatest dude with the greatest swag, and every waking hour of his life is spent anticipating his next victory and how he'll choose to celebrate it. If Mac in Mac Time is an unthinkingly destructive boxing machine, Sakuma is a techbro machine, because that's what the system rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

its the same staff as hi score girl if that helps set expectations for what the cg will be like

So, crude but effectively used? That's workable. HSG wasn't a pretty show, but it was an extremely characterful one.