Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

utamaru posted:

Translating slang to slang is fine I guess, 99.99% of the time the japanese goes over my head anyway, but I do kinda miss the fansub days with TL notes (see: "nakama").

E: a whole screen of TL notes to explain why a joke is funny isn't the best application of this approach though.

honestly i'd be super down for the joke explaining TL notes as like, a possible second viewing experience or something. like getting the director's commentary track, only instead it's explaining all the japanese language nuances that don't translate well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

The fact that they exist mainly to shill toys undermines any message they try to have that could possibly be antiwar. The toys must be cool and therefor even its bleakest portrayals of war are cool. In the end they are a part of Japan’s military industrial complex and I can not morally support the gundam series

Nah I think the antiwar message is still poignant even if the capitalist system it exists within mildly undercuts it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

When I used tumblr almost 10 years ago my impression of a lot of it was "there's like 3 right wing psyop accounts stirring poo poo and thousands of children who were convinced to take their absurd position"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

Having never watched Konosuba, I've been enjoying Combatants Will Be Dispatched so far. As I understand Konosuba fans would probably not consider it to be bringing anything really new, though.

imo it feels a lot like early konosuba to me - it's like, fine but not great. konosuba got really good in the second season though, which kinda makes combatants not seem terribly good in comparison, but it's decent enough that i'm sticking around to see if it takes a similar upswing once the characters are well established.

it's hard to shake the "this feels like konosuba but not as good" feeling though, going in without that comparison to make probably helps a decent amount

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i still wonder what is the point of contextless spoilers

I still wonder what is the point of this post

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno seems like if it's a story that so far has been about the specific relationship between 2 people, implying that future developments turn multiple side characters into romantic interests as well could easily be something that someone reading the story who is invested in those characters doesn't want spoiled. At the very least, there is no harm in preferring caution where it might possibly be a grey area, it's not like spoiler tags hurt anyone, while misreading the significance of the information and not spoiler tagging could.

Like loving who cares if there's slightly more spoiler tags than necessary, especially if it's not even a story you personally are following

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So is scooby doo an anime or not

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Caphi posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just because heroes work with law enforcement but there's a pretty overt throughline about how the current society is letting people down and in many ways responsible for creating villains.

it doesn't exactly posit any means by which society can be improved except "cops are super cool, but privatized cop corporations are even cooler" though. i dunno if i'd say fascist but the politics of MHA don't exactly gel with the current american political climate

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's less "MHA should have its main characters personally solve poverty" and more "MHA uncritically glorifies cops and the entire story is about the literal heroics of wannabe cops. any politics that exist within the setting only serve to further justify this." the only character with any particularly cutting criticism of the cop culture is a serial murderer whose criticisms are literally brushed away by the line "you are accepting the logic of a murderer" and whose criticisms are very rarely acknowledged by the story after his appearance (and even then, only one specific criticism, and only by one specific character, and only so he can become as cool of a cop as his older brother). there's some mild failings of the current cop system that the story acknowledges that largely boil down to "now that the supercop isn't around anymore our current cops are not strong enough to handle the constant onslaught of crime perpetually. we better train up the next generation of cops good so that they're better at neutralizing threats than the current cops." it doesn't exactly say "cops need less regulation and need more guns" but it also doesn't really delve at all into cops misusing their power or hurting innocent people (outside of the potential of collateral damage while going after the real criminals). i can think of one cop who is presented unsympathetically in his personal life (where he is a domestic abuser and, depending how much you want to read into the details of that domestic abuse, a rapist) but i don't believe there is a single instance of a cop behaving poorly or maliciously in their service as a cop (in fact, said domestic abuser is extremely good at being a cop).

which, i mean, MHA doesn't necessarily need to dive into the politics of government approved use of force against its own civilians, and i certainly enjoy the show anyways. but the original statement that started this discussion was "MHA is fascist" and again, while i wouldn't go that far, the show is definitely "copaganda" so the sentiment doesn't quite come from nowhere. if it's fair to call marvel movies fascist i wouldn't give MHA any particular benefit of the doubt there

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

who was surprised by the existence of cops?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think people get a bit too hung up about the morality and messaging of a show meant for Japanese tweens...I'm not saying turn your brain off or anything but viewing it through an adult western perspective isn't very productive.

sure but being critically cognizant of the media you consume and its inherent messaging is still useful, and like sometimes interesting to talk about?

posting on an internet forum isn't productive either :shrug:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

well, they weren't really viewed negatively here until pretty recently i don't think! honestly if we're talking about american media i'm not even sure they're typically depicted negatively, so much as the recent political climate has shown a light on the difference between how cops are depicted in media vs how they actually behave

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

I see. It's still not ideal (like there should be a kind of hero GED for people past high school) but the focus on UA makes it seem like a rare thing for people to be able to achieve. I guess this is another thing the manga/spinoff must go into in more detail.

people can use their quirks in their jobs, i think uraraka is specified as coming from a family that owns a construction business where her quirk would be super duper useful, but she wants to be a hero instead and her parents support her in that. seems like there's licenses to use your quirk in public outside of the hero licenses, i'm pretty sure we're explicitly told at some point about job-related licenses being a thing.

i also suspect that whatever law is in place has language that's more centered around "if your quirk enables flight, don't go flying to commute to work because 15% of everyone has some means of flight but not everyone can go at the same speeds nor have the same level of control so we don't have good safety precautions for that many people up in the air" and less "if you have a fire quirk then using that to light your cigarette is illegal." but the show doesn't explore that angle uh, at all so no way to know unless a manga written by a different author has all the answers

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm imagining 100 people flying over a crowded street and 50 of them are uraraka gently floating along at a walking pace and the other 50 are bakugo, cannoning themselves through the air at incredibly high speeds by constantly creating explosions

upon a law that passes requiring all flight to be under 20 mph the bakugos all shift to creating an explosion behind them and a smaller explosion in front of them every 3 seconds to modulate their speeds

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 17, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wanna make it clear for the record that I'm completely on board for deeply analyzing the themes of anime and manga using philosophy and all the tools of media analysis, but, there's some serious shortcomings in analyzing a work that's a product of a completely different culture and it's own pre-existing cultural context with a different pre-existing cultural context and so far in this talk about these elements of MHA there isn't I think enough of a recognition that I'm not sure if any of us knows what its like to have interactions with Japanese police and how Japan's relationship with its law enforcement and criminal justice system compares with North America (and if anyone does live in Japan and has intimate first hand experiences with Japanese police I'd love to hear them!).

Not to say that you can't, someone can probably make a square peg fit into a round hole if they try hard enough, but it isn't going to be easy.

I think as an example, on Trash Taste Gigguk and Connor were recounting a story where Japanese police once asked them the nationalities of who were living in their flat, and on hearing that Gigguk was Thai demanded to see his passport and as soon as he brought out his British passport they skedadled out of there. The impression I got from podcasts like that, and following twitter accounts of English speaking bloggers living in Japan, and reading blogs is the relationship between the Japanese public with the reality of policing is different from the American publics relation with policing and the dissonance between that relationship and media depictions are very different.

ok but even though i'm an american viewing a japanese cultural product i can still note my personal interaction with the themes of the work on this western-leaning message board. rather importantly, i think everyone involved in this conversation watches the show and enjoys it, so if there is a cultural difference and the show serves as an accurate depiction of police in japan it's not like anyone here is going to japanese people and making claims about the quality of their cartoons on this basis. if anyone does have knowledge (as endorph has helpfully provided) that can certainly enhance the discussion but lack of that context doesn't exactly disqualify such discussion from happening in the first place.

i never really like throwing out death of the author but it's a relevant idea here: the meaning is in what the viewer gets out of art, not what the author ascribed to it. as an american viewer my experience with it is as """valid""" as direct evidence from the work allows it to be.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean i'm sure if i wrote out another paragraph or two about why i disagree everyone would continue to think i'm a super cool dude making exclusively good posts in the spring anime thread, but honestly i don't think there's much more for anyone to say on the topic than "good for you bud" to each other

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I am not saying it is disqualifying; only that the lack of qualifiers or disclaimer can be a somewhat disingenuous or unfair reading of the work when you divorce it from context to whatever degree you may know better.

It is a valid counterpoint to the discussion, your reading and interaction then by definition isn't the sole possible reading and interaction and people are allowed to point out the shortcomings and context you may be missing that leads to what to someone else, is an incomplete reading of the work.

i'd just like to throw out that if i got the opportunity to see a bunch of japanese people discussing king of the hill i'd be utterly fascinated in what they had to say whether or not the proper american context was injected into the conversation

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like there's a contradiction here, because you are saying it is making claims of American policing, or it is normalizing copaganda. I think the idea that you aren't making claims of Japan so its fine to say the work is making claims of America doesn't follow.

no i'm saying the show reads very pro cop. that being a good or bad thing is mostly going to depend on your personal view of cops and your cultural relationship with the police.

more specifically, this topic started with someone saying "it's really funny how fascist MHA is," multiple people replying "why would anyone think this show is fascist?" and i came in and explained that while i personally don't find the work fascist, it is blatantly pro-cop, so i can see why someone would make that jump even if i personally draw a big line between the two.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

you might say "didn't you call the show copaganda and doesn't that word carry significant negative connotations" and i would say "well yes but i put quotes around the word initially to convey that while the meaning is accurate i don't necessarily want to fully associate the word with the work. however that's me getting pretty pendantic and it's fair that my american context did influence my reading of the work, which does somewhat undermine me saying that whether my reading is a thumbs up or thumbs down on cops is all a matter of perspective. however, i don't feel like this contradiction is strong enough to hurt any arguments i have made but i do regret using the word copaganda now, even if at the time it helped serve as a bridge between viewing something as pro cop and viewing something as fascist, which was highly relevant at the time i made that post but isn't really relevant anymore."

presumably, you follow up with "who cares" and i agree

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

If they're going to make 40 anime in a year they're going to rapidly run out of actually good properties to adapt and we're going to be trapped in isekai bottom of the barrel hell forever.

they're gonna kill the isekai fad real hard real quick by completely oversaturating the market until even the isekai fans are sick of it

i just want to know what the next fad will be

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is 86 good? i feel like after its first episode it came onto my radar, then shortly after the buzz for it took a downturn and it fell off my radar. should i give it a shot?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

well that sounds pretty cool then, i'll give it a 3 episode test

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

man you guys really weren't kidding about 86 being IBO derivative, the parallels are all over the place

the first episode was pretty neat. it was a little chilling at first when they referred to the robot pilots as "processors." the way they built up to it by dripfeeding the "these are unmanned drones" "no one else cares when the drones are destroyed" kind of info was pretty well done. it's a little understated, they don't place a ton of emphasis on it they just wait to see how long it'll take you to put everything together, and i thought it worked really well to confirm the viewer's growing suspicions about what's really going on in that way. the kind of moment that only works if you're going in basically completely blind like i did, but i thought it was pretty cool

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Haven't been watching much in season anime. MHA has been, like, fine, although this is probably the weakest season so far.

I started watching 86 recently and immediately went through every episode that's out and now I kinda regret it because it's so good I want to binge all of it. Maybe should've waited until the season was finished to start it, but that's probably the best problem a show can have

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sometimes it's fun to dissect why you don't enjoy it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

BlitznBurst posted:

There's nothing wrong with watching a show you don't like but I do question what is going on in the mind of somebody who watches a sequel to a show they don't like, does not like the new show any more than the old show and yet somehow continues to be surprised/disappointed when the show continues to be bad ten episodes in even though it has seemingly shown no sign of actually becoming any more enjoyable for them at literally any point. Like at some point I think it's absolutely valid to ask "well what the heck were you actually expecting."

i don't think what you are describing is what happened in this particular case

Omnicrom posted:

To give a sharply dissenting view, I was incredibly disappointed by episode 10, as I have consistently been with near everything in Dynazenon. I was let down by Gridman, everyone I knew hyped it to the ends of the earth and when I watched it I found it was just a pretty good anime series. Dynazenon, meanwhile, has barely managed to reach 5/10 television and the most recent episode has been no help. The episode of Dynazenon from last week was actually really good and bumped the show up in my estimation, but hoo boy did I not like this one. Gridman episode 9 was indeed masterful and was definitely the best episode of that show by leaps and bounds. Dynazenon episode 10 is not that. Dynazenon's version is way too loud, totally unsubtle, resolved itself in a pretty boring and obnoxious way, and I am sorry but the cast has not been fleshed out enough to carry the episode in the way that the show desperately wants them to. It honestly feels to me like they did this episode only because Gridman did it, not because they had a good idea to develop the characters because my hot rear end take is that they didn't and moreover largely haven't. There was no one like Akane here to grounds the episode, and we learned nothing new about 90% of the cast. To put it another way, there is absolutely a reason Minami got the majority of the scenes, it's because she's the only one the show is actually been doing things with and more's the pity because they seem to have resolved her storyline in a pretty underwhelming way. At least we didn't have to get shots of the consistently lame rear end villains after the intro.

Dynazenon has consistently struck me as a show that thinks it is done far more than it has and that is really really disappointing. I was pulling for the show going into it, but it appears that the show is just going to continue to be an inferior reheated also ran of Gridman. Again, I'm not super up on Gridman but that show is leagues ahead of Dynazenon in just about every way. I was never superduper impressed with Gridman's cast, but man am I remembering them so much more favorably now...

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I used to think anime was particularly trashy but then I watched some american tv shows and it turns out that it's not just anime

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so what've been the big AOTS contenders this season? thinking i'll pick up another show, i really really liked 86 and it sounded like there were a few other big knockout animes this season. i think i've heard a lot of good buzz around "vivy"?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I wish I could say that one punch man tricked a bunch of writers into thinking that having an OP protagonist is cool and exciting. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure having an OP protagonist for wish fulfillment is just really popular whether or not there was a recent example of it being done well, it's just more egregious now that there's a well done example to compare them against

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Squidster posted:

How did 86 turn out? Is it worth catching up on?

it's excellent