Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Extremely promising first two eps of Vivy. I think I'm onboard with wherever this is going.

Though I do not trust a single word we've been told about anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

galagazombie posted:

Everyone always pulls out the "ACTUALLY Alice in Wonderland and Narnia are Isekai!" card but I've never really bought it. Isekai confers a whole list of tropes and cliches that stories like that don't really have. "Goes to a fantasy land" is so broad a genre qualifier as to be useless on it's own.

This is a perennial problem in nerd discourse: someone brings up a recent trend and tries to analyse why it's a thing, and then people pipe up with things that are technically examples from 50 years ago, or the other side of the world. And, like, yes, they might be correct, but it doesn't really give much insight into the question "what's with the current isekai boom?" or whatever the thing at hand is.

Terrible Opinions posted:

The first modern isekai is the Barsoom series. It's got the bikini girls, candy-colored hair (skin), other world transit by barely explained magic, racism, monstrously powerful protagonist, most major female characters falling in love with the protag, long rants on the author's opinion of religion and society. It's all there.

This on the other hand is a fine point.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Saint's Magic Power just decided to get rid of the one vaguely distinctive feature of the main character's design.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

:crossarms:

They did the spiderman thing, where having powers fixed her eyesight.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

Not her glasses! But glasses girls are cuter!

That's what I meant, I just didn't want to say it

I think the Glasses Girl (in the sense that it was used in, like, 2005) is largely a depreciated category by now. It's probably Hanekawa's fault.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Please tell me someone else here is still watching the Moriarty show, because that last line... I saw it coming, but couldn't make myself believe that's where they were going.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

I've been waiting for it to finish airing before starting it, but if it gets really dumb I'll bump it up on my watch priority list.

I can confirm it gets very dumb.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

marumaru posted:

to try and help get this thread back into fun and pleasant topics, i'm shocked at Vivy. hadnt seen anyone talk about it but holy gently caress were the two episodes i watched good.

Viviy indeed good. Is there a Vivy thread yet? There probably should be.

I'll start one if someone gives me a good enough robot pun

utamaru posted:

didnt notice that, so cool. bring back monogatari because need more OP's

Also yes

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I made the Vivy thread.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

The biggest problem with Combatants is that fan artists don't draw the cleric girl enough.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Grouchio posted:

OVERLORD 4 OVERLORD 4 OVERLORD 4

I'm a tasteless nerd who definitely watches too much isekai, but I didn't continue Overlord past its first season. Is it worth catching up?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Willo567 posted:

I'm hoping the mecha genre will return to it's former glory

It'd be nice to see a hard(-ish) scifi resurgence generally.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

chumbler posted:

Good. Grass lawns are basically terrible in every respect.

It's plants you can stand on. That's pretty good when the alternative is concrete.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Supremezero posted:

Vivy, To Your Eternity, 86, Odd Taxi

Honestly like half the season would be AotS in other seasons.

I think I could fill out a typical year's top 10 with just shows airing right now.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Shout out to whoever the translator for Moriarty the Patriot is. They're clearly having a lot of fun peppering the dialogue with ridiculous victorianisms.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

dogsicle posted:

s2 when though

Currently?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

marumaru posted:

weak ending but honestly i don't care, it was good enough.
i liked vivy a lot

:same:

Anime that end as well as they start seem to be something of a rarity. I could probably only name half a dozen of the top of my head.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Willo567 posted:

ZLS Revenge was pretty good, but man do I hate the loving ending

ZLS Revenge was good and the ending owned.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I'm reasonably confidant that what happened in Slime was meant to be an obviously bad idea, and that we'll see consequences of it. It's just that it happened right before the end of the season, so they cut straight from that to goofy character nonsense (and then a slice-of-life spin-off).

I might be disappointed.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

The bishie Moriarty show ended about as dumb as its been for most of this second season.

This is a ringing endorsement, btw

AlternateNu posted:

Nomad knocks the finale out of the park. :allears:

Watch Nomad. It good.

Also this

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/gb_donglees/status/1410886322730852357/photo/1

The antarctica staff (minus the writer, the director's writing it herself this time) are making a movie. The website itself mentions a place further than the universe a fair bit so I imagine it's meant as sort of a 'thematic followup.' About boys going to Iceland.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Watched the first (two?) episode(s?) of The Detective Is Already Dead

I am not sure that the people who made this know what a "detective" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Definitely the weaker of the two shows last season where a lady encounters bishie detectives and then becomes ambiguously trans