Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Hmm, this looks kinda nea--

quote:

from LeSean Thomas

Oh. Hmm... oh. Well, maybe it'll be better than Cannon Busters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Holy bajibbles that's gorgeous! Picked up!

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

So, I ended up dropping 86 on episode 3 because, while the battles were neat, the jarring tonal differences from scene to scene, misused OST, and pedestrian moral quandaries didn't impress me of the director's skills. Only for me to pick it back up on episode 5 after they revealed the enemy Legion are basically harvesting half-dead 86'ers from the battlefield and digitizing their brains to serve as ghostly commanders of their much-larger-than-previously-thought army. That was metal-as-gently caress enough to get me back in.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm sorry, but... how's that a negative?

One of the best things about 86 is the intentional tonal disparity between Lena's scenes, Shin's scenes, and the battlefield. The cuts help emphasize that, no matter how Lena tries, she's not part of the 86's world, that she's an outsider in ways she can't even recognize.

It's a really good use of the medium to convey emotional nuance.

I was more referring to the tonal disparity between the scenes of the 86'ers themselves. Outside of battle, they do not behave or act anything like slave-soldiers being driven to their death would. I get that the levity of many of those scenes is supposed to serve as a viewing of a desperate squad relishing what little time they have left on Earth, but it doesn't come across that way at all. No human being would act the way they do in the circumstances they are in. It would be as if you were telling a story about a Jewish boy in a concentration camp during the Holocaust, and then interspersed it with a scene where all the prisoners have a goofy pool party where they kick back and relax. It just doesn't work.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Endorph posted:

nobody has ever found joy in a joyless situation

That's veering close to a strawman. Of course people have found joy in joyless situations. But the acting has to sell the believability of it. And the acting in 86 doesn't, not to me. I'll keep watching it, mostly because I want to see some well-animated mechanical carnage, but I suspect this quibble I have with it will never go away. We'll see how I feel about the show as a whole afterwords in the Anime-of-the-Year thread.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm really enjoying Shadows House, but it really feels like one of those shows like The Expanse or Game of Thrones where they're stuck burning a season just to get everything in place for the story they actually want to tell. I hope it gets a second cour at least.

Same. It's had a leisurely pace thus far, but I've been enjoying it. It really does feel like we're only scratching the surface of the mysteries presented. But considering how some other high-profile anime adaptations have been stupidly rushed (Tower of God, Promised Neverland S2, etc), I'm glad it's getting the time to breathe. Hopefully it's successful enough to get that elusive second season.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Hot Take: I think its OK to watch (to completion) seasonal anime that you thought you'd enjoy at the outset but have continued to disappoint; oh, and that any legitimate criticism you post online is valid and worthy. The smarmy attitude of "If you don't like it, don't tell us about it!" is as I said. There are other internet-bubble-communes out there where negative comments (including valid criticism) are purposefully buried, and the resulting atmosphere is happy to the point where the happiness no longer carries any meaning.

Also, I don't agree that Yomogi is a boring character. Not every character needs swirling drama and conflict to be real, and Yomogi has felt the most real thus far, with Yume at a close second. I'll agree that Yume is a more interesting character, and that Dynazenon's goals have been pretty foggy thus far. This is the kind of show where I want to have seen every episode before I even venture to give my opinion on it. It's spinning quite a few plates at the moment, and doesn't have much time left. But there's also ambition to be found there. I'll wait.

Worst case scenario, it will have been an interesting but failed experiment.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

The United States posted:

What animes are like From Dusk Til Dawn levels of deceptive where they are completely one thing for half/a good chunk and then turn into something else entirely?

Maybe check out Otogizoushi? Halfway through it there is a complete cast and setting change, even though it does continue the story.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm a bit disappointed with the latest episode of Vivy and firing the Singularity project for the second time... just to go back a few hours to after the War has already started and casualties are mounting. Sure does suck for those tens of thousands of people that have needlessly died when we could've gone back 100 years again and re-done it all properly in a much better way with proper foresight!

Eh, that doesn't bother me as much. We have no idea what infrastructure the time travel project requires, but I'm willing to bet it's a good deal more messed up than it was when it was first used, so I'm willing to accept that they don't have as much freedom as before. Yea, it'd be nice if Vivy got to go back the full 100 years and stop Momoka(?) from dying along with every other tragedy (which was my initial prediction as to how it'd go), but I'm kind of glad they didn't go that predictable route. Things are sure going to suck for AIs after this though, I don't see how ANY nation doesn't outlaw them after a global genocide attempt.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

So what I'm getting out of all this is that every anime is AOTS. It seems like there's something for everyone, regardless of individual taste. When was the last time we had a season this strong? Does anyone here NOT feel like there is a stand-out for them personally?

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Wonder Egg Priority Finalé: I am curious as to how they're going to wrap this up. Whenever any anime falls behind on production there's no shortage of damned choices the creators could make. Squeeze the remaining storyline into the remaining airtime? End the story at a premature stopping point that works well enough? Alter the story to have a different ending than planned? Out of all the choices, WEP's creators made the bold choice to refuse to compromise, and just ended the show at what would've been the penultimate episode. The "Stars Align" solution. Honestly, I actually like this approach better than the alternatives. I hope it pays off.

Magia Record S2: One of the few cases where I pray the adaptation does not follow the source material. The latter half of the gacha game was a train wreck of ill-thought-out villainy, and was a clear case of the plot falling apart due to the nature of gacha's ever-expanding-cast requirement. However, with just a few days until the summer season starts and no air date or preview, this is an anime I wouldn't bet on being good. Still going to watch it though, since it does have some genuinely good characters, and the plot already diverged a bit in S1.

Higurashi Sotsu: I'm not going to watch this one, not because I think it'll be bad but because I haven't watched the first part yet, and probably won't unless I hear good things about it in the AOTY thread.

Uramichi Oniisan: I'll give it a try, the premise makes it seem like a humor goldmine, at least in theory.

The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated: Same as above.

Sonny Boy: First episode had great art and was interesting. Will watch at least the first three episodes.

Anime I Know Nothing About But Might Be Interesting: Peach Boy Riverside, Scarlet Nexus, Vanitas no Carte, Kageki Shoujo, Realist Hero, Re-Main, Aquatope, Fena: Pirate Princess, Night Head 2041

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Neat, well that addresses my concerns about no PV or air da--

Anime News Network posted:

Compilations of the first season will air for three weeks prior to the second season's debut, starting on July 3. In addition, the second season will get a special program on July 24. The website also announced that the third and final season, which has the subtitle Final Season -Asaki Yume no Akatsuki- (Dawn of Light Dreams), will debut at the end of 2021.

Wait, WHAT? The anime is starting almost a month after the season start proper, and they're inserting three compilations beforehand? Either this is some genius marketing strategy to lead into a movie, or more likely this is an indication that S2 is so unfinished that they're splitting it into multiple parts and buying time even before the season starts. Jesus Christ. Welp, I said I'd watch it, so time to strap in I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Summer 2021: <insert favorite anime> Won't Be Defeated!

Malsangoroth fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 28, 2021