Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

im going to watch the motorcycle slice of life show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

First impressions so far:

Godzilla Singular Point: Great! Very colorful, fun characters, snappy pacing, awesome OP.

86: Maybe? Kind of standard "war is heck" setup, but the squad characters look like they might be fun.

Bishounen Tanteidan: Good! Extremely Shaft, a joy to look at, not sure yet where it wants to go plot-wise.

Boku no Hero Academia: Okay. It's more MHA.

Fumetsu no Anata e: Has potential. Emotional first episode, but not sure how it's going to structure its narrative.

Jouran - The Princess of Snow and Blood: Maybe? Did not care for the first episode, but episode 2 introduced a potentially intriguing plot angle.

Mars Red: Maybe? Liked the first episode well enough as I was watching it, but very little interest in continuing it since then, not sure why.

Mashiro no Oto: Great! Does a really good job of telling the story through the music, and the performances have been great.

Odd Taxi: Great! Noir-ish atmosphere, sharp dialogue writing, intriguing mystery, simple but effective art style.

Osananajimi ga Zettai ni Makenai Love Comedy: Trash. Tired harem cliches, immensely unlikable MC, not one decent joke.

Sayonara Watashi no Cramer: Decent. Animation quality is kind of rough, especially during matches, but the cast of characters has potential.

Shadows House: Maybe? First episode was all setup, need to see where it goes from here, the writing is extremely unsubtle though.

Slime Taoshite 300-nen: Eh. The manga is pleasant enough but extremely one-note, and the adaptation is nothing special.

SSSS.Dynazenon: Great! Had high expectations following Gridman, so far they have been met.

Super Cub: Great! Glacial pacing and simple story, but somehow very compelling.

Vivy: Eh. Intriguing concept, but I don't enjoy the interactions between the two main characters.

Yakunara Mug Cup mo: Eh. Cure girls making cute mugs, not much to set it apart from hundreds of similar shows.

Zombieland Saga: Great! Wasn't sure about the first episode, but episode 2 was a return to form.

Is TWEWY worth checking out if you've never played the game?

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Grouchio posted:

Myne's punishment for all the poo poo she did to Shield Hero is to legally be called 'bitch'. :shrug:

well if noted misogynistic trash anime Shield Hero says it's okay

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

i like mha well enough normally but the current season is really really bad

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Such a great show and easily my favorite of the season

It's really good. My top three this season probably consists of (in no particular order) Super Cub, Odd Taxi, and Godzilla SP.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

KariOhki posted:

Same. Along with, in my opinion, Asahi being alive coming mostly out of nowhere setting up for a happier ending. This is the ending I expected where the plot was at two or three episodes ago. Such a shame cause the art, sound direction, and voice acting were so on point.
6/10 show, wouldn't not recommend it if asked, but would also recommend other things ahead of it to spend your time on.

I haven't watched the finale yet, but Asahi being alive felt like the biggest cop-out. I'm honestly surprised that this was an anime original, with how inconsistent and improvised the story felt at times I could've sworn it was an adaptation of some weekly serialization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Season's wrapping up, here's a list of everything I watched, in approximate order of how much I enjoyed it.

Odd Taxi: Easily anime of the season. Well-written interweaving plot lines and sharp, insightful, and often very funny writing. Absolutely check it out if you haven't already.

Godzilla Singular Point: Extremely dense and high-paced technobabble, and I love it. The amount of consideration that has gone into the bullshit science behind the big lizard guy and his pals is absolutely amazing, and the show does a great job of presenting it in a way that is strangely convincing and never visually boring. Fun characters, a killer OP, and the CGI looks great. I don't know if it has left Netflix jail yet, but the available fansubs are solid, so give it a try.

Super Cub: Just a sweet little advertisement anime about a girl falling in love with a cursed motorcycle. Not as relentlessly positive as something like Yuru Camp - the show does deal with some serious issues, if mostly indirectly - but still a pleasant watch.

Uma Musume: Very enjoyable and surprisingly heart-wrenching second season. The change in protagonists was a great move. Very solid sports show, far better than the somewhat forgettable first season.

86: Took a while for me to get into due to the hamfisted theme and uninspired setting, but I ended up enjoying it more than I thought it would. Nothing in the second half of the show quite played out as I expected it to, and I respect it for that (even if 80% of the team dying off-screen and between episodes was a bit disappointing). I didn't know that it was going to be a split cour, will definitely check out the second half.

SSSS.Dynazenon: A joy to look at, and consistently well-directed, but still not as good as Gridman, in large part due to a far less ambitious and more or less straightforward plot. I also felt like it relied more on the assumption that the audience would be familiar with the old shows and/or toys, and since I don't know the first things about either of those, some of the supposedly big moments didn't land with me at all.

Fumetsu no Anata e: A positive surprise. With a purposefully blank slate as the MC it has to rely heavily on the secondary characters, but so far it has done a solid job of crafting engaging stories around the people Fushi meets. I'm glad that the current third arc is significantly longer than the first two, I might have bounced off it if all arcs were three or four episodes long. I'm not sure if I care about the overarching plot, I just want my boy Gugu to be happy.

Zombieland Saga: Not as good as the first season. There were a couple of standout episodes, but it felt like the joke was starting to wear thin, and even the season's best moments were basically treading the same ground as season 1. It seems the production was a huge mess too, which always sucks to hear. Surprisingly, not really looking forward to a potential third season.

Vivy: Didn't like this as much as some of the other people in this thread, but still a solid sci-fi show. It doesn't bring a lot of new ideas to the table, and there do seem to be some pretty big holes in the logic behind the plot, but the production is consistently solid with some real highlights. I guess the reason I didn't really gel with it is its protagonists, Vivy herself is kind of a blank slate for most of the show, and Matsumoto is mostly just annoying.

Slime Witch: Extremely low stakes and unambitious, but fun enough.

Yakunara: Unironically, nice travel ad. Mediocre but pleasant CGDCT show.

------ unambiguously enjoyed watching cutoff ------

Mashiro no Oto: Weirdly paced and visually unimpressive, but still enjoyable. The one standout element is the music, the show does a really good job of contrasting the different styles of playing and linking the pieces to the story. The school club arc in the middle feels unnecessary, and none of its members aside from Setsu really stood out, but the core plot had some promise, so I'm kind of hoping for a second season.

Bishounen Tanteidan: Extremely Shaft, for better or worse. The show's a joy to look at, and the rapid pace means that it's never visually boring. All that style does come at the cost of substance though, with the mystery plots never quite landing, and with very shallow characterization on the part of the male club members. The MC has been growing into a more interesting character in the second half, but it's not enough to save the show from being a slight disappointment.

Sayonara Watashi no Cramer: I wanted to like this show, because the characters are fun and the more comedy-focused episodes in the middle were pretty good. The big problem is that it kind of looks like poo poo. All of the action scenes suffer from sparse and stilted animation, and the direction is equally wooden and awkwardly paced. The plot feels rushed too, the transformation of the team from a ragtag group of nobodies into a team that can go toe-to-toe with the prefectural champions feels completely unearned.

Boku no Hero Academia: A boring and completely superfluous arc. Five zero-stakes mock battles where 50% of the participants are people you've never seen before, and another 30% are bit characters with gimmick powers that the author obviously doesn't really know what to do with anymore. I honestly think I might be done with this series, the first episode of the next cour didn't do much for me either.

Jouran: I was surprised to learn that this was an anime original, with a plot this disjointed I fully expected it to be an adaptation of a weekly serialization. The supernatural element lacks originality, and the potentially interesting setting ultimately boils down to "authoritarianism bad". The shifting allegiances and layers of distrust between the main characters managed to carry the show for a while, but petered out by the third act, and the finale especially was a wet fart (still mad about Asahi's resurrection).

Mars Red: Another supernatural show set in 20-30s Japan that turned out to be a disappointment. The first episode works well enough as a standalone deal, after that it quickly turns sour. For most of the second half the show doesn't really seem to have much of a purpose or even a main character, with the remaining cast just sort of aimlessly wandering around in the aftermath of the Great Kanto earthquake. Doesn't even have Jouran's nice visuals.

------ dropped shows cutoff ------

Shadows House: Looks nice, but didn't really grab me. Extremely unsubtle metaphors aside, the show didn't really reveal much about the plot in the three or four episodes I watched, and I ended up losing interest.

Osananajimi ga Zettai ni Makenai Love Comedy: Absolute trash, could barely force myself to finish the first episode.

cave emperor fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 28, 2021